“Middle of the road”

Ranked #81 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Nashville, Tennessee
“Middle of the road”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

As I state in the beginning of all my reviews, I am a consummate traveller. I stay over 150 nights a year in hotels. Everything from boutiques to big chains to everything in between. I feel like I have a good baseline for reviewing hotels and my expectations are realistic.

I always start with the pro's:
Good staff, clean rooms, good breakfast, comfortable beds and good location.

Con's:
No control over the temperature in the rooms! WHAT? Literally it's centrally controlled by floor. So, to make warmer or colder, you have to open a window. I guess this is the european way in general, but not what I want in a hotel. You may think it's charming, but they use REAL keys for the rooms? These things are huge and weigh a ton! I don't want to lug some giant key around. One quirk I have about travel is I collect my hotel room keys. I've stayed in over 1,000 hotels and have every key at home. I write on the back the dates I was there and it's my souvenir from travel. Guess this hotel will fade into my memory. Also, no gym on property.... a major bummer. Their "deal" with the local gym is 37chf for a day pass!? I pay less than that a month for my whole gym membership. Ridiculous.

This is definitely and older property. It is nicely renovated, but the hallway corridors borderline creepy. The energy saving lights that shut off and are motion detected may help the environment, but add to the creepiness when you walk into dark hallways.

Summary:
All in all, it is a decent hotel. You won't be wowed in any way, but it is nice and clean, which is the most important part of any hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on the alley side, while the view isn't as night, you have less of a chance of getting woke...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Christian F, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Ascot, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Zito Z

Thank you very much for taking the time and posting a review of your stay with us here at Hotel Ascot.

We were delighted to read your positive comments about our staff, rooms, breakfast and location but also we very much appreciate your more negative feedback as we always strive to continuously improve the service for our guests.

We do have two categories within the different rooms – standard and deluxe. All our standard rooms are facing the inner courtyard and it is true that there is no individual temperature control. However we also offer deluxe rooms and these rooms are all facing to the front of the hotel. All our deluxe rooms have a balcony and air-conditioning with controls to individually adjust the temperature. I am very sorry if you were not informed about this during booking stage.

Regarding our key system we did decide to keep “real” keys when the Hotel was renovated recently as we believe it underlines the style and charm of our property. The Hotel was built in 1954 and has been renovated in 2010, but we wanted to keep the character and protect the history of the building. When renovating, we were not able to add a gym to the property, therefore we have a co-operation with a nearby gym. The prices are given to us by the gym and are common prices for day passes here in Zurich.

As one part of our environmental initiatives, we have installed energy saving lights but usually they are bright during the day and we dimmer the lights only towards the evening. They are motion detected and should switch on to its full once guests walk into the hallways. I am very sorry if you felt the atmosphere uncomfortable, we will for sure check our lighting system to assure that there are no faults with it.

Again thank you very much for your feedback and we do hope we can welcome you back to Hotel Ascot in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Christian Frei

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Hebrew first
Shropshire
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed here for one night on business. My impressions were good. Staff at the front desk were helpful and efficient. I think only one elevator but I never had to wait long for it. My room was very pleasant - a comfortable bed, free wifi, quiet. I came back for lunch with a client and the food was very good. The restaurant was almost full, so it seems a popular place. The room service menu is also quite good. I am a fussy vegetarian and often struggle to find something to eat, but there was something there for me.

Downsides - I would have liked an ironing board in my room and I personally thought the breakfast selection was a bit limited. And they forgot my tea at breakfast ... but I'm sure they don't make a habit of it.

Overall, friendly and efficient. I would stay here again for business.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ShropshireSue
Christian F, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Ascot, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear ShopshireSue

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us here at Hotel Ascot. We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff, rooms and restaurants and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

I am very sorry that we forgot your tea at breakfast, but please be assured that this is not our usual standard. It is right that we don’t have ironing boards in the rooms as a standard, but we will always bring them to our guests whenever needed. Please let us know when you are planning to stay with us again and we will make sure to place an ironing board in your room prior your arrival.

We do hope that we can welcome you back to Hotel Ascot in the near future.

Yours sincerely

Christian Frei
Newent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed for one night on a business trip. The hotel location was the major factor in deciding on this hotel as it is just a couple of minutes walk from the office and also very close to Enge station.

The bedroom is comfortable but was too warm, and other than opening the window, I could not find a way to reduce the temperature.

The bathroom is adequate. The shower head is over the bath and has a maximum height of about 5ft. So as someone over 6ft tall is not ideal.

Arrived at the hotel after 9pm so had a simple meal in the bar. This was pleasant. Breakfast was also quick and efficient.

I would stay again but only as it is so convenient.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Nick_2112
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

The Zurich is a conveniently placed hotel in Zurich - a good base for getting around the city. The hotel itself and the rooms are showing their age a little, but nothing to be concerned about. The rooms are of good size and were clean and comfortable. Despite looking over a reasonably busy street, my room was also quiet. Breakfast was also good, with the usual buffet selection that you would expect from a hotel of this type.

There is nothing in particular that recommends this hotel, but nor is there anything that disappoints. As a place to stay for a couple of nights while in the city, it fits the bill.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 007Sydney
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Had stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during christmas week.

The hotel is NOT located near the Zurich Central Train Station however it is just 5 minute distance by Tram. The hotel is right there once you get off the tram. It a quiet area without too many shops but you could easily find the convenient stores and super market at the tram station. Room was spacious (much bigger than the typical as you can place you luggage anywhere around the bed and you can still have space to walk around the room).

All staff including receptionist and waitress/waiter were all very nice and helpful.
Breakfast was nice with good selections - fresh salmon, different fruit juices, breads (still warm when I got them), fruits, etc...

The only drawback is my room was not provided with good quality shower gel or shampoo. Neither toothbrush and toothpaste but I expected this as some of the other hotels did not provide these for free. They did provide you a set of body gel and lotion but they were only very tiny (like a free sample at 20ml size).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jkjk-bjbj
Wausau
Reviewed December 29, 2012

Located in Zurich, This property is centrally located. Very clean property. The rooms are very well appointed and offer all the amenities you would like. I found the location was ideal for walking to most locations. I will stay there again without question.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business