“Romantic for couples, Mixed feelings, single room very small”
Review of Storchen Zurich

Storchen Zurich
Ranked #4 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
San Jose, California
“Romantic for couples, Mixed feelings, single room very small”
Reviewed March 22, 2006

I was in Zurich for 3 days in March 2006 and stayed at the Zum Storchen. The location of the hotel cannot be beat. It is a better location than the other hotels because it is right across the bridge from old-town where much of the restaurants and nightlife can be found (about 5 minute walk). Also, the hotel is on the river which makes for some unbelievable scenery. It is definitely a very romantic area of town and for this, I would highly recommend it for couples.

Now for my mixed feelings: my first impression of the hotel was negative. The lobby was quite small. The single room was TINY with the bed being right up against the wall and with the dresser on the other wall, I could almost reach both sides of the room with my arms stretched out. The room décor was old and tired. The TV is a tiny 20” flat screen that had very poor quality picture. Also, there are only a couple of employees working at any given time, so the front desk can get quite busy and you have to wait.

Now, I travel to Europe all the time and I know about small European style hotels, but based on the reviews here and the high ratings, I expected much more. I expected a grand lobby, a much bigger room and bigger common spaces. I will still rate it above average for the romance factor and location. But i cannot rate it Excellent.

The breakfast is average. But the dinning room is amazing, with a great view of the river in the morning. A very romantic way to start the day. I also recommend you have a drink or cappuccino at the downstairs café attached to the hotel, it is very nice.

Pro:
- unbeatable location, walking distance to train station and old-town
- romantic, great for couples
- great surroundings around hotel
- staff is very nice and helpful (but busy)

Con:
- bit expensive for the value
- single room very small
- room décor needs updating
- TV and remote sucks
- No alarm clock in the room
- Only one free plug (for laptop, phone charger, etc)
- Only one pillow choice and very uncomfortable

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
13 Thank ixion

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Thessaloniki
Reviewed January 25, 2006

We spent our Christmas holidays in Zurich and we stayed at this hotel. Our room was spacious, very clean with brathtaking view of the river and the city. Although we checked in very early, our room was ready and the service was great. Food was great as well.One of the best hotels we have ever been.

• Stayed December 2005
5 Thank Haris N Neofitidis
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 27, 2005

This is another property I've had on my heart to stay at for a number of years now and finally got there in March. Although our room was rather small, the view over the Limmat more than made up for it (not to mention the fabulous breakfast in the most elegant of settings again w/views right over the river!) We were extremely blessed in that it was snowing upon arrival but the sun soon made an entrance that lasted for 2 days and even the Swiss stated how unusual it was for such beautiful weather in the middle of March! A basic sweather or turtleneck is all you needed! The property couldn't have a better location! Smack in the middle of the City within walking distance to about anything you'd like to explore. The staff gracious and attentive and our room emaculate! We're actually using a picture from this journey for our annual Christmas card! Loved it!

• Stayed March 2005
5 Thank Litsa
Gloucestershire, England
Reviewed September 18, 2005

Just returned from our fifth or sixth stay at Zum Storchen and were delighted to find everything as good as ever. Our room on the fourth floor overlooking the Limmat was comfortable and quiet, elegantly furnished and very well maintained. Breakfast is a delight, as other reviews note - the staff charming and attentive.
We wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else in the city.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank elegantraveller
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 4, 2005

My mom and I decided last minute in early July 2005 to do a mother-daughter trip to Switzerland. So I looked into both the Frommer's guide to Switzerland (absolute best) and Tripadvisor to see what hotels we should stay in.

We are not rich by any means, but I wanted a special place where we would feel comfortable in the center of Zurich, and, a place that would start us off each day with a nice breakfast.

Staying at the Zum Storchen was THE BEST thing I did - we loved it so much that we booked an extra night at the hotel.

It's a delightful experience - we felt like we were HOME. Comfortable rooms and beds, tastfully decorated in cozy decor. Modern, beautiful bathrooms. The hotel sits RIGHT ON THE RIVER that leads to Zurich LAke - the ONLY HOTEL THAT HAS THIS. It's so romantic!

I must also rave about the BREAKFAST on the 2nd floor terrance overlooking the river with the red geraniums everywhere - it was so special and so delicous! They serve the best quality salmon, egg dishes, breads, fresh squeezed organge juice that you do yourself at the touch of a button on the machine and the BEST COFFEE! The view was spectacular!

My mom and I also enjoyed the plaza right outside the door of the hotel where some of the most intersting people enjoy a glass of champagne and the BEST food. I'm telling you. This is the best food and hotel service we've ever had. We were so happy staying here!

I highly recommend this hotels for couples, honeymooners, mother's and daughter's, (only well-behaved kids and older children please - and pets!). It's an delight - you won't regret spenidng your money here. It made Zurich so memorable for us!

• Stayed July 2005
7 Thank cphmar
Nassau, New Providence Island
Reviewed July 13, 2005

I stayed here during the week. The hotle is in a great location. The room that I was in was very modern, with flat screen tv, internet connection, and a huge bath! It is only a few minutes walk from the tourist attractions, and the main shopping street. The staff was always helpful and friendly, and was there in a few seconds when I needed something done. I greatly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank Ninster03
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

This is simply the best hotel in town - one of those unique places that you will not regret staying at. Zurich is beautiful, and this is the way to visit.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled on business