I was in Zurich for 3 days in March 2006 and stayed at the Zum Storchen. The location of the hotel cannot be beat. It is a better location than the other hotels because it is right across the bridge from old-town where much of the restaurants and nightlife can be found (about 5 minute walk). Also, the hotel is on the river which makes for some unbelievable scenery. It is definitely a very romantic area of town and for this, I would highly recommend it for couples.
Now for my mixed feelings: my first impression of the hotel was negative. The lobby was quite small. The single room was TINY with the bed being right up against the wall and with the dresser on the other wall, I could almost reach both sides of the room with my arms stretched out. The room décor was old and tired. The TV is a tiny 20” flat screen that had very poor quality picture. Also, there are only a couple of employees working at any given time, so the front desk can get quite busy and you have to wait.
Now, I travel to Europe all the time and I know about small European style hotels, but based on the reviews here and the high ratings, I expected much more. I expected a grand lobby, a much bigger room and bigger common spaces. I will still rate it above average for the romance factor and location. But i cannot rate it Excellent.
The breakfast is average. But the dinning room is amazing, with a great view of the river in the morning. A very romantic way to start the day. I also recommend you have a drink or cappuccino at the downstairs café attached to the hotel, it is very nice.
- unbeatable location, walking distance to train station and old-town
- romantic, great for couples
- great surroundings around hotel
- staff is very nice and helpful (but busy)
- bit expensive for the value
- single room very small
- room décor needs updating
- TV and remote sucks
- No alarm clock in the room
- Only one free plug (for laptop, phone charger, etc)
- Only one pillow choice and very uncomfortable
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Storchen Zürich is a traditional first class establishment with 67 stylishly elegant rooms and suites in the heart of the old city. Whether at the reception, at the Conciergerie, in the Rôtisserie or on the Terrasse, in the classical Storchen Bar, in our trendy Barchetta, in the Boulevard Café or even in our elegant hotel lobby, our long tradition of hospitality, together with our warm and personal service, can be enjoyed throughout the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Preferred Hotels, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Storchen Zurich reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Storchen Zurich Hotel
- Summit Zurich
- Hotel Zum Storchen a Summit
- zürich Summit