“Not impressed”

Ranked #32 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
izeult
“Not impressed”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed here for business recently and while the hotel is nice and clean and the staff are helpful it's very strangely put together.

Firstly, I was given a twin room - where the pillows were like sleeping on marshmallows they were so soft, so I'm not sure what you'd do if you had neck problems and needed a bit more support! The curtains/blinds are a strange arrangement, so there's thick curtains in strips, and net curtains in between these strips, the net curtains are backed up by a black out plasticy feeling window covering. Up shot is that it's not very effective at blocking out light if you are a light sleeper like me. I just didn't understand it.

Bathroom is well stocked, a bit dated but very clean. I've never seen a weighing scales in a hotel bathroom before, so that was interesting!

Also, my room was very noisy, this was my first time in Zurich so I'm not sure if the tram could be heard from every room but mine was quite noisy.

The included "breakfast" was a cup of tea/coffee and a croissant - for a price which came to about 300CHF, the entire experience was a bit of a rip off.

Location is great, very central but while I know Zurich is expensive it just seems that for what you're paying it's just not worth it.

Room Tip: Look for a room that isn't on the train station side
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank izeult
Martin S, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear izeult,

thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor and we are glad that you liked our location and weighing scales in the bathroom, usual standard in Swiss hotels.

The world famous "Bahnhofstrasse" is certainly noisy, but all our rooms are air-conditioned and have double isolated windows.

With our best regards, we remain

Martin Santschi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Bowie, Maryland
Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is a very nice hotel. It is clean and the management went out of their way for me. We were traveling on bicycles and they found an indoor place for the bikes even though they did not have any special place put aside for them. I appreciated that and I appreciated that they were quite friendly. The windows were well insulated and the street noise was never a problem. The only reason I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 star rating is that it was so heart-stoppingly expensive. However that's Zuerich.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Isabel B
Martin S, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Isabel S,

Thank you for your kind comment on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and our service, so as our well isolated windows.

Looking forward to welcoming you again during your next stay in Zurich, we remain

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed September 7, 2013

very nice hotel, booked at the last minute and got a superior room compared to the price we paid. free wifi (as with most hotels in the area)
nice staff very helpful and will be the first choice for a stay in the future)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jaimalik
Dear Jaimalik,

thank you for your motivating comment on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you liked our service and we are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next trip to Zürich.

Switzerland
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Excellent location made me choose this hotel. But at this price it is a bit of a push but check around you are not offered much alternative in mega expensive Zurich. Rooms are ok I got a queen executive (second from below category) on 5th floor basically the roof floor so quite low windows. Room adequate business feel. Awful tiny reception, old tiny lifts, narrow corridors etc show that this is really just a stretched building to maximize space. And everywhere you look, brochures, lift walls, etc magic phrases telling you you are in the best place in the world...excellent marketing but I am afraid did not work for our group of people. We will choose another property next time.

Room Tip: Tried maybe to spend more money, they have more fancy rooms with a special feel for couples, avoid f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Asia Lovers,

thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry that you did not like several items of our hotel. Last year we refurbished all our rooms, bedrooms, air condition, windows isolation, corridors and facade and we are proud of the result.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip in August. My experience at the Hotel St. Gotthard was very good from booking confirmation from Ahmet to arrival and departure.

Ahmet answered my emails in a timely manner and was very accommodating. When I arrived, he and the rest of the staff were friendly and attentive, I was checked in quickly and got my room earlier than the standard check in time (which was a bonus since I arrived on an early flight).

The hotel's location is very convenient and I loved the surrounding areas...in walking distance to the train station and restaurants, shops are on your doorstep.
My room was spotless, spacious with very comfy bed and bedding and work space area with desk. The double glazed windows kept most of the street noise at bay so I had a good night's sleep.

I would definitely recommend this hotel and would return. Thank you for a lovely stay and warm hospitality!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear yourfriendinitaly1

Thank you for your kind comment on Tripadvisor, we appreciate very much and forward them to our staff and to Ahmet.

Looking forward welcoming you soon again, we remain

Garden City, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We selected this hotel because of its proximity to the train station as it is only 1/2 block away and is on the main shopping street in Zurich. How fortunate we were. Out room on the fifth floor was quiet, super clean with a nice bathroom with the best shower head ever!!. The staff was very professional and helpful. At the front door there is a small outdoor area perfect for a meal or
a drink. There is really no lobby but it is not a factor as Zurich is such an interesting city there is no time to sit around. The staff was very helpful in directing to different ares of the city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
msa821, Manager at Hotel St. Gotthard, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear lcdqr,

thank you for your kind comments, we appreciate very much. We are looking forward to welcoming you again during your next trip to Zürich.

with our best regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The centre of Zurich is pretty small and so this very pleasant hotel just off the main street (Hauptbahnhofstrassse) is perfectly located. If you're arriving by train then it's also just about 100m away from the main station. I stopped in one of their smaller rooms but on previous occasions I took one of their executive rooms, which are much more spacious and I would say worth the extra for.

My room had an OK sized bathroom with a really great shower. The breakfasts are a bit drab, all self service with basic options like bread, croissants, a limited cereal selection, plus colds meats. You make your own coffee and tea.

But it's right in the centre of everything so you can use this as a really handy base for exploring. There a major tram stop right outside.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Daer Ark Lark,

thank you for your great comments about our location that all our customers appreciate very much. We are glad that you liked your stay with us and hope to welcome you again during your next stay in Zürich.

with our best regards