“Well-appointed room without a view” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Opera Hotel

Opera Hotel
Ranked #47 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Well-appointed room without a view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I came to Zurich for it's excellent hospitals, for the evaluation of a rather serious health condition. Perhaps because I traveled alone, without my family, and was already feeling a bit lonely, plus sad and anxious about my health, I felt disappointed that my room had a view of only a parking lot and adjoining buildings--though I could see the sky if I looked up (I was on a lower floor) . A glimpse outside of even a little greenery or of passersby would have cheered my stay considerably. (I must add that perhaps it was my fault that I got "stuck" with this view. I arrived late at night and couldn't see out the window. By morning, I had already unpacked and arranged all my things, and so decided against asking for another room, as I didn't want to repack.)

However, except for the day I was feeling too ill to leave my room, I did get out and immediately was cheered by the lake and the beautiful views of Zurich. So, that compensated for the dreariness inside my room.

As other reviewers had mentioned, the hotel is in an excellent location, very near the lake, near to shopping for essentials, and near to the trams and train station, making it extremely easy to visit shops and restaurants some distance away. For those who prefer taxis, taxi service is available almost immediately at this hotel. Everyday I requested a taxi to get to my medical appointments, and I never had to wait more than ten minutes from the moment I called the receptionist to order one for me. (For those unfamiliar with Zurich, the taxis all felt very safe and were very clean. Of course, the entire city seems to feel safe and clean. No wonder so many people love Zurich, as it is beautiful, peaceful, well organized, clean and safe, and has everything one might want. It's not the least expensive city to visit, but I feel it's costs are reasonable for the quality and enjoyment you will experience here--many other less attractive cities in Europe are more expensive.)

At least my hotel room was very clean and had everything needed, although it was the tiniest room I've ever stayed in, but it did feel cozy. The decor was adequate, though nothing special. Yet, I probably shouldn't expect much more from the least expensive room category (single bed) in a four star hotel--if I'd wanted something more "deluxe," I should have booked at a more expensive hotel.

My room was very comfortable. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, the bed was also conveniently adjustable, with a control to raise the head and feet, and the room was exceptionally quiet, despite having hotel neighbors with three children. I didn't hear a sound.

The bathroom, despite its tiny size, was well designed and didn't feel cramped. The corner sink was large enough even to wash out some personal laundry, and the shower size was very comfortable for me, despite the fact that I am not slim. The shower controls were very convenient and the water temperature adjusted immediately. Also, the shower has a retractable clothes line, for those who wish to do some of their own laundry. Irons and ironing tables are available upon request. I requested these. The iron looked quite old, but functioned well and didn't leak. But the ironing table was tricky to adjust, as it was also old and perhaps not functioning as well as it had originally. I found the controls needed strength and manipulation, to open and close the board.

The level of service at this hotel is very good, and the staff were invariably helpful, pleasant, respectful, and friendly toward me. That is important to me because, as a visible member of a religious minority group, I have sensed discrimination and a frozen "politeness" or worse, at some hotels in Europe. (However, I do find the Swiss normally tolerant and helpful, which is one of the reasons I chose to come here for my medical issues. It is upsetting enough to be ill, without also feeling humiliated by being treated as unwelcome and inferior.)

My husband and I travel very frequently, I monthly and he perhaps 4-6 times per month. I don't know if he would like this hotel, because he usually frequents 5-stars, plus, the Ambassador's room service menu does not have a wide selection--though perhaps because it is a smaller hotel. But their restaurant is very good, and I found their fish and other dishes very well prepared and delicious. They must have an excellent cook. (I should add that the kitchen prepared some off-menu items at my request, which made me very happy. I am sincerely grateful.)

I, myself, would definitely stay here again, because of the hotel staff's excellent service and helpfulness, the cleanliness and quiet of the rooms, the availability of everything needed from the hotel, including wifi that worked very well, and the Ambassador's proximity to the lake, walking paths, essential shops, trams, and train. Also, the area the hotel is very quiet and feels safe.

Other than the view, the only other problem I had with my room was an unpleasant smell in the corridor. Perhaps I was beside a utility closet, where cleaning supplies are kept? Or, perhaps someone was smoking in a nearby room? I had a non-smoking room, but perhaps they allow smoking in some of their rooms? (I would prefer a non-smoking floor.) The odor I experienced smelled almost like cigar smoke. However, it is my fault that I didn't bother to mention it to the hotel staff. The odor was only a momentary unpleasantness, in the corridor just outside my room; the other corridors, lobby, and restaurant had no unpleasant odor.

Otherwise, thanks, Hotel Ambassador, for a comfortable stay and very good service. If I ever come alone to Zurich again, I would like to stay again with you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an outside view, if this is important to you. For five days (six nights) I staye...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelAmbassadorOpera, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear amiddleagedlady

Many thanks for your detailed comment about our Hotel. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with our location, the clean room, the free wifi, the pillows and our helpful and respectful employees. Moreover, we are delighted that you appreciated the service and menu in our Restaurant Opera.

We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you all the best for your health!

Rudolf E. Zehnder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

There's a saying in german that goes: "Klein aber Fein" - small but good. That applies to Hotel Opera as it does to Zürich.
As many other reviews pointed out, the rooms are rather small, as is the "business center' (one computer on the corner) and the breakfast room. But it's very cozy and well taken care of.
The location is one of the main highlights: right next to the Opera, and by the lake (Zürich See) - and also pretty close to the Bahnhofstrasse with all the great shopping!

Room Tip: Watch out for the summer festivities around the lake! We stumbled upon ZürichFest, which happens onc...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank JSchlaad
HotelAmbassadorOpera, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear JSchlaad

Thank you! It was a pleasure to read that you were happy with our central location next to the lake, the opera house and the shopping districts. Concerning your room tip: You may find information about all festivities taking place in our city on the official Zurich webpage.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you soon back with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Good locaton close to the lake, but easy access to the rest of Zurich. Good quality hotel and good breakfast. Rooms are somewhat on the small size, but this is true of many swiss hotels, so i do not consider it an issue. Its also a very good price compared to many other Zurich Hotels. I had a very good deal at 188CHF including breakfast, but its easy to pay up to 400 CHF elsewhere. Friendly staff as well, in all an excellent choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HotelAmbassadorOpera, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Many thanks for your comment about our Hotel Opera Zurich. We are delighted that you were satisfied with our location, our breakfast and that you appreciated our friendly employees. Concerning the room size: our Hotel disposes of different room categories with different room sizes. Our reception would be pleased to help you at your next reservation to find the convenient category for you.

We are looking forward to your next visit!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Outside noises seem to penetrate more than average, one night I was awaken by people returning to their room (on the 1st floor) and could hear every sound they made. As RichardDixon pointed out, rooms are tiny, and there were no coffee maker inside. Front desk staff was very helpful, but the place could be better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stefanek
HotelAmbassadorOpera, General Manager at Opera Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Concerning your comment about the noise: Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with the outside noises.

Regarding your comment about the coffee maker: Please inform our Reception at your next reservation that you would like to have a coffee maker and we will be pleased to equip your room with a Nespresso coffee machine.

It would be great to welcome you once back with us to show you that we can do better.

Le Mont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very practical if one assists at an opera the evening; just about 200 m walk from Opera to Hotel. Reception very friendly, professional. Relatively small, but pleasant room on the fifth floor, functional, with a balcony with splendid view over the city and part of the lake. Nice bathroom, would be perfect if it had handles over the bathtub for elderly people that we are. We got an invitation to take our apéro on the rooftop of the sister hotel Ambassador close by but did not use it being late. Seeing a dozen people on this rooftop from our balcony we got the impression that they had fun up there.

Room Tip: Higher floors have view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FedorLeMont
Thank you very much for this kind comment about our Hotel Opera. We are pleased that you were satisfied with our location, your room with balcony and that you appreciated our friendly and professional employees.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

The hotel is centrally located, just behind the Opernhaus and close to Bahnhof Stadelhofen and Bellevue. It's great for business in town and/or city tourism.
Although the neighbourhood offers an abundance of restaurants, I dined at the hotel's restaurant which is actually across the street. I was not disappointed.
My room was next to the elevator. However, the room was spacious and insulated, so that I was never bothered by the elevator or street noise.
Hotel Opera is a small, but it seems well-managed and very hospitable. I would definitely stay again.

1 Thank David H
Many thanks for your comment about our Hotel Opera Zurich. It was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were satisfied with our location, our Restaurant Opera and the spacious room.

It would be great to welcome you soon back with us in Zurich.

Kind regards,

london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

So, it's not massively roomy, neither a boutique nor a 5-star. But for the price and location in a very pricy city, this was fine. Breakfasts good, rooms small but impeccable, good wifi. And the staff were incredibly hospitable always. Gathered from colleagues that some rooms were quite noisy (best avoid the ones either side of or opposite the lift).

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We are delighted that you appreciated our location, the breakfast, the free wifi and our hospitable employees.

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you once back with us.