“Good location, great price - perfect for an overnight stay”

Arlette Am Hauptbanhof Hotel
Ranked #103 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Monmouth
“Good location, great price - perfect for an overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Arrived at 11pm on a Friday wet night, hotel was a easy walk from the Train station. I had a room at the rear - smaller but quiet as the front street seemed a bit busy with cars using it as a shortcut.
Clean and air con was a bonus. It's a bit dated but well maintained.
I overslept so had no time for breakfast - the receptionist (one of the family I think) promptly ushered me through to select items to take away.
Free wifi too.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Tig121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Cardiff Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

Stayed one night in this hotel in December went to see the Zurich Christmas market in the rail station which is well worth a visit. The hotel is in a great location a short distance from the railway station and city centre. Zurich is an expensive city and this is reflected in the hotel price.
Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet which is all you can ask for. The staff were friendly and helpful. As with many city hotels of this standard the breakfast was basic.
Would stay again if we return to Zurich.

Room Tip: We had a room looking out onto the road on the first floor, no real noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tafftraveller
Paphos, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I used to have people book my hotels for me. Times are difficult and I am in charge of my own travel arrangments. In booking this hotel I booked the wrong dates. This did not bode well as I had a very important meeting first thing on Monday morning with one of the Swiss regulators. However the man at the reception told me it was not a problem as he'd lots of spare rooms. I got a single room from the 1970s. Wonderful. During the night I was kept awake by the thought of the meeting with the Swiss regulator being booked wrongly. The breakfast was gentle nudge towards thrift and economy but again all the better for it. The meeting was correctly
arranged and everything turned out well. The stairs to the first floor has a large rope attached to the wall instead of a banister. Good idea this I am going to change t rope banisters at home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank John1234Paphos
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great location. 5 minute walk from train station and old town. Outdated rooms but were fine. Tv fine and free wifi. The average rating comes from the works hotel continental breakfast we had on the trip. Just a few basic things offered. Very nice front desk staff. Would stay here again for a short stay or if the price was a little lower than neighboring hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny M
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I used an internet booking site to get a fair price for my 4-night stay in expensive Zurich. When I travel to Europe each year I usually stay away from the chain hotels because I want my experience to be as close to typical as possible for the city I'm visiting. Having said all that, I found the Arlette to be a great choice for someone who is traveling solo like I did this time. Yes it is old and dated, but I found the Arlette quite homey, its staff very helpful and pleasant, and a clean room and bathroom. And what a bonus to see the elevator in the lobby, air conditioning in the room, and wifi service...even a computer with printer for guests' use. I did discover a wet carpet on my 2nd day but they moved my things so meticulously to another room while I was out and about. The included breakfast was enough to jump start my day of sightseeing. I couldn't ask for more than the basket of good bread with butter/jam and a pot of good coffee with steamed milk on the side.

As for convenience, the nearby rail station has an underground network of shops and food options for take away. The Central Plaza was the hub of numerous tram lines and a few blocks farther was the terminal for the sightseeing coaches. The old town was a short walk as well; there you'll find all kinds of Swiss and international restaurants if you prefer sit-down service. Despite all this, I found the hotel to be quiet and conducive for a restful stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank REA-WashDC
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

From the friendly reception to the comfortable room with all facilities this was a great find.
It is a very easy walk from the main station, the famous Bahnhofstrasse and the old town area. Although close to the action it was quiet. Good wifi was available at minimal cost.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ruthpbell
Montreal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

We only stayed there for one night before catching our plane the next day and one night was enough! The only positive things I can think of are: location (5 min walk from train station) and price. Other than that, we couldn't wait to get out of there. it's unfortunate because it has potential but everything is so old.

The room was not very clean, the carpet was stained really bad (it looked like water stains; maybe the A/C system leaked at some point?). There was a bad "grease + cigarette" smell that was really disgusting. The decoration is so old. The window had mold on it. Amenities were poor, everything was extra such as Internet or a simple hard boiled egg for breakfast (CHF 2.50!!!). To top it off, even though the staff was helpful, the only time I saw the manager smiling is when I paid my room before leaving...

I see that a lot of people only stay there for one night just before catching a plane or a train. Just do that, don't spend more than one night there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple