“Reception very helpful and forgiving”

Arlette Am Hauptbanhof Hotel
Ranked #103 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Paphos, Cyprus
“Reception very helpful and forgiving”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I used to have people book my hotels for me. Times are difficult and I am in charge of my own travel arrangments. In booking this hotel I booked the wrong dates. This did not bode well as I had a very important meeting first thing on Monday morning with one of the Swiss regulators. However the man at the reception told me it was not a problem as he'd lots of spare rooms. I got a single room from the 1970s. Wonderful. During the night I was kept awake by the thought of the meeting with the Swiss regulator being booked wrongly. The breakfast was gentle nudge towards thrift and economy but again all the better for it. The meeting was correctly
arranged and everything turned out well. The stairs to the first floor has a large rope attached to the wall instead of a banister. Good idea this I am going to change t rope banisters at home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank John1234Paphos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great location. 5 minute walk from train station and old town. Outdated rooms but were fine. Tv fine and free wifi. The average rating comes from the works hotel continental breakfast we had on the trip. Just a few basic things offered. Very nice front desk staff. Would stay here again for a short stay or if the price was a little lower than neighboring hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny M
Washington DC
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I used an internet booking site to get a fair price for my 4-night stay in expensive Zurich. When I travel to Europe each year I usually stay away from the chain hotels because I want my experience to be as close to typical as possible for the city I'm visiting. Having said all that, I found the Arlette to be a great choice for someone who is traveling solo like I did this time. Yes it is old and dated, but I found the Arlette quite homey, its staff very helpful and pleasant, and a clean room and bathroom. And what a bonus to see the elevator in the lobby, air conditioning in the room, and wifi service...even a computer with printer for guests' use. I did discover a wet carpet on my 2nd day but they moved my things so meticulously to another room while I was out and about. The included breakfast was enough to jump start my day of sightseeing. I couldn't ask for more than the basket of good bread with butter/jam and a pot of good coffee with steamed milk on the side.

As for convenience, the nearby rail station has an underground network of shops and food options for take away. The Central Plaza was the hub of numerous tram lines and a few blocks farther was the terminal for the sightseeing coaches. The old town was a short walk as well; there you'll find all kinds of Swiss and international restaurants if you prefer sit-down service. Despite all this, I found the hotel to be quiet and conducive for a restful stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank REA-WashDC
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2012

From the friendly reception to the comfortable room with all facilities this was a great find.
It is a very easy walk from the main station, the famous Bahnhofstrasse and the old town area. Although close to the action it was quiet. Good wifi was available at minimal cost.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank ruthpbell
Montreal
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We only stayed there for one night before catching our plane the next day and one night was enough! The only positive things I can think of are: location (5 min walk from train station) and price. Other than that, we couldn't wait to get out of there. it's unfortunate because it has potential but everything is so old.

The room was not very clean, the carpet was stained really bad (it looked like water stains; maybe the A/C system leaked at some point?). There was a bad "grease + cigarette" smell that was really disgusting. The decoration is so old. The window had mold on it. Amenities were poor, everything was extra such as Internet or a simple hard boiled egg for breakfast (CHF 2.50!!!). To top it off, even though the staff was helpful, the only time I saw the manager smiling is when I paid my room before leaving...

I see that a lot of people only stay there for one night just before catching a plane or a train. Just do that, don't spend more than one night there.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NebuCad
nicosia
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed here for one night in a single room, the day before my departure from zurich airport, while on a business trip at Switzerland.
hotel is just 5 minutes by foot from the main train station (and the city centre), from where you can go to the airport in 15 minutes by train. hotel is relatively old but room was very clean but also very small. it apparently has very thin walls as i woke up from noise 3 times during the night. Zurich is very expensive in comparison with other European countries and so is this hotel in comparison to what it has to offer.
in any case, i would recommend this hotel for short stay visits or for stay before departure flight for its convenient location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank iRiA_Cy
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed April 13, 2012

We stayed here just for one night on our way back. This place is in a superb location, just 10 mins walk with luggage from the Zurich Main train station, cross the bridge and up some 10 steps in between some buildings and you are at the hotels doorstep. Its a rather old place with old furniture but really clean and in a quiet street. Breakfast was simple but plenty. The lady at the reception was warm and welcoming. Easy to walk to the famous Bahnofstrasse for shopping and food. Good value for money as EVERYTHING is expensive in Zurich.

Room Tip: They have a lift, small one but it beats having to carry your luggage all the way up compared to som...