Hotel Montana
$515
$478
$283
  • Breakfast included
Bristol Hotel Zurich(Zurich)(Great Value!)
$222
$123
Baur au Lac(Zurich)
$673
1,002 results
All reviewstrain stationold townzurich hbquiet streetnational museumnice hotelminute walkyogurtconvenient locationno air conexcellent breakfastmain stationexcellent locationhotel is locatedwalking distancelate at nightshort stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western Hotel Montana for one night in February 2012, arriving on Saturday morning from Rome, and checking out the following Sunday evening.

Every now and then, you can find a hotel that is quite good, and not over $150-200 a night, and I think BWHM fits this category. I think I paid around $100 a night, and I felt that the hotel was worth the money without entering into the outright luxury (five-star) class.

I found that the room was quite good in terms of size for a solo traveller, but probably would have been good for a couple. I had a double bed, and plenty of room to spread out, unlike some places I've stayed at in Europe. The furniture is very neat, and quite modern, with a TV that was small but serviceable (not a HD or anything). The wifi was quite steady, and although I didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel, I had wifi coverage in my room and throughout the hotel, including the restaurant. The hotel have their own PC, although I never did use it.

I only had breakfast, and I thought it was quite reasonable. It was built into the price for the room, and the dining room in very nicely decorated. I had fresh croissants, and scrambled eggs, plus fresh juice & tea. I also went down there on the Sunday night for about half an hour to get some rest after I had earlier checked out, and just wanted to sit down and use my iPhone for a while, and again the wifi was steady, and I managed to Skype my family & my fiance with no problem.

The location is fairly quite, despite an adult store/strip club being located around 50m down the road (and on the walk to the Hauptbahnhof). I found that the location was pretty good, being not that far from the old city centre. Some people may prefer to stay in the old town, as that is probably where it's all happening in terms of tourism & landmarks in Zurich, but you can get a tram & a 24 hour ticket cheaply enough, as walking around the old town between the churches & so forth can be taxing on your feet. Within ten minutes, you can leave the BWHM, walk through the shopping arcade section of the Hauptbahnhof, and be by the main entrance of the Hauptbahnhof, and on the fringe of the old town. If walking is not your thing, you can walk about 150m to the end of the street that BWHM is located on, and catch a tram from the Sihlquai.

I went to a Swiss League football match at Letzigrund, and the instructions the staff gave me at BWHM on how to get there was pretty spot on, the right tram number and stop to walk to the ground. I got back from the ground to my room in about half an hour. Overall, I found the staff very helpful and friendly, giving me a map, helping me with directions, even getting me the correct time that the football match I was going to see was scheduled to start.

As I get more travel experience, I am leaning towards booking hotels that are larger, and have plenty of room & luxury, although if/when I return to Zurich, I will certainly consider BWHM for it's value, as most expensive is not always required if you can find good quality at a cheap price.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor, in what I believe is the renovated rooms (other reviewers seem to dislike the old rooms from what I've read). I was quite happy with the room I had, and it had a very nice view.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank PietroMorrizio
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The location was great right near the main train station, but without any noise or concerns about safety. Good buffet breakfast and room was clean although smallish, but not smaller than most rooms encountered in Europe in major cities. Rate was OK for services and the staff were helpful and friendly. Free WiFi was useful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the stairs to avoid noisy late arrivals.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 26, 2012

booked this hotel for two occasions and the experience of booking process and responsiveness of this hotel and its reception staff has been terrible, such has been the experience that I am cancelling the second booking

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Judy H
Casgmp07, Manager at Hotel Montana, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Dear Mrs. H,

we are very sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience and we are very concerned about your comments in regards to our booking process. In order to make improvements, it would be great if you could let us know more details about the problems you have encountered. Please write to me directly: d.zygmunt@hotelmontana.ch

Thank you!

Daniel Zygmunt

Reviewed January 24, 2012

We booked this hotel for one night for 3 persons. When we entered the room way past midnight there was only one king bed. The room was so small, there was no place to keep another cot. Too much of furniture kept in such a small room that wherever we moved, we would hit a chair or a table. Despite our request, no extra mattress was provided. A room for single occupancy was given for 3 of us to share. The lift was very small and took its own time to reach us on the 3rd floor. The hotel is so close to the Central Station, it is the plus point. The complimentary breakfast was quite good. For the price I paid, the room was not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank drdvg

Dear Sir,

thank you for your comments.

Yes it is true that some of our rooms are too small for 3 guests, but some rooms are big enough to fit an extra bed. In order for us to make improvements, please provide me with more details of your booking by sending an e-mail to d.zygmunt@hotelmontana.ch

Daniel Zygmunt

Reviewed January 6, 2012

my sister and I stayed at this hotel in October...we chose it because it was close to the train station..it is clean...breakfast was served in a quaint little french bistro attached to the hotel...fab breakfast.....rooms are small but very nice..handy to have a safe in the room...shower only but modern with beautiful soaps supplied...got the feeling that this hotel was eco friendly

Room Tip: it would appear that all the rooms face a quiet street
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends