“Nice hotel in a good quiet location”
Review of Hotel Montana

Hotel Montana
Ranked #42 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel in a good quiet location”
Reviewed November 27, 2011

As I was arriving in Zurich main railway station late at night I wanted a hotel nearby so I chose this hotel because it is only around 250 metres from the station. I was a bit apprehensive as most station areas are a bit unsavoury, but had no problems in walking to the hotel and the area around the hotel was very quiet and residential. The room itself was nicely decorated and the bed was very comfortable with a lovely cosy duvet. The bathroom was very well laid out with bath and overhead shower and even liquid soap for the bath and basin. The only problem I encountered was that there is no airconditioning. Heating is underfloor and cannot be controlled in the room, so even in November it was very hot and I had to open the window to sleep. This let in some noise, but even so it did not disturb me too much. Breakfast was very good - great selection of yogurt, cereals, ham, cheese, hot dishes, juices etc. It was only a 2 minute walk to the tram station. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank carolina46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 24, 2011

Situated a short walk from the main railway station we decided to take a taxi due to the late hour, the trip would have taken less time had we walked..For those getting off the train walk back the way the train has traveled, to leave the station. it will save you time and energy.

We had a good reception at check in, no complaint about staff in fact very helpful.
We were allocated a room that had a nice view and was clean, we found out about 11pm that the bed was terrible, sagging into the middle, not a good nights sleep.

Next morning we were shifted to another room, smaller with a good bed, apparently the room we stayed in is to be renovated, after the tourist season, frankly we thought that the room just need a new bed.
Without asking we were financially compensated for the night and for the next 3 night we stayed there--cant complain.
We had dinner on the first night in the restaurant, while the food was fine only had one waiter to serve a almost a full house let it down.
Zurich is not cheap, while the cost of hotels in general are very expensive compared to Asia we were not in Asia and have to accept that fact.
Staff made this hotel--would we stay there again, yes I think we would

Room Tip: Ask for twin beds not a double
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Very polite staff and accommodating. Very patient in explaining minor details, went back and booked another stay with them again.

Room was simple, clean and had all the basics in the hotel. Would highly recommend this hotel for those having a short transit and having to go to the airport next morning as the hotel is really just situated a short 2 minutes walk away from the train station, and you then board the train which takes 15 minutes to reach the airport, save the hassle of waking up early and travelling!

Breakfast was good and I would really recommend this!

Room Tip: Room given to me was near the road side, being near pubs, the noise never subsided the whole night...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank xJanice
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

21-22 October 2011
I had 2 nights in Zurich (by myself) before meeting a river cruise tour. When deciding where to book in Zurich, my first priority was to be able to easily get to the Sihlqua Bus Terminal unaided, with my suitcase & hand luggage on my departure morning. I found the Montana to be good quality 3-star hotel, very well situated (less than 5 minutes to the tour bus departure area, with traffic lights to assist me across the one busy road) as well as handy to the main station area for an inexpensive evening meal (I enjoyed Nordsee) & other snacks. I also enjoyed a meal in the Montana's attached "French bistro" restaurant on the evening of my arrival. My room was basic, clean & had everything I needed; a clean, modern elevator serviced the rooms above the ground floor. The staff were pleasant & there were plenty of choices to suit me at breakfast. The weather (late October) was cooling down (but not yet cold), so I didn't need a fan or heating. The only disadvantage to me (elderly, using a walking stick to help with some mobility problems) was that the shower was over the bath. No other complaints & I congratulated myself on an excellent choice of position for my needs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Helen-gran
middle england
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Situated very close to the Hauptbahnhoff and yet only a few minutes walk from the delights of Zurich, Niederdorf and the lake side, this little hotel has all you would want for a couple of nights visit to this city. The rooms were immaculately clean, the mattresses comfortable and the food in the restaurant tasty and good value for money.
The satff could not have been more polite, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
tampa
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Good hotel, very close to main train station. Rooms were nice size and comfortable. Provided a hot breakfast buffet. Will store luggage in a secured area if room is not ready at check-in. Polite staff.

1 Thank kathyTampa
durham
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Reasonably priced hotel (by Zurich standards!) in convenient location near the railway station.
Comfortable rooms.Good selection at breakfast.