“Decent clean and basic”

Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich
Ranked #102 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed June 14, 2013

If your looking for somewhere close to the centre without many frills then this hotel is suitable.

Although I found the bathroom too small the shower was refreshing.

Everything was clean, wifi was free, I arrived late and left early but it provided me with everything I needed.

I would not hesitate to go back again.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Thank you for assessing our house. With your help we can continually improve our service. We are looking forward to welcome you back in the Comfort Hotel Royal, Zürich!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

You can't really compare this hotel to an American hotel. It just doesn't work. Switzerland, and Europe in general, is completely different from the US, and comparing this hotel to a US hotel is not the right thing to do.

In that regard, it is a pretty decent place. Beds are not stupidly hard, but they aren't American style either. Plenty of plugs around the room if you have an adapter. My room (most rooms?) had a double door opening outside. No rooms have patios but the breeze and fresh air you can get is nice.

Other reviews have mentioned smoking smell. I didn't experience this at all. The only scent of smoking I got was down near the breakfast room. There appears to be 1 nonsmoking breakfast room and 1 smoking breakfast room. The nonsmoking room has no odor but the smoking room smell spills out into the hall a little bit.

Breakfast is not bad and included. There are about 8 different kinds of breads/rolls and 4 kinds of jelly, plus Nutella and Peanut butter, Thai/Chinese long-grain rice, some kind of sauce for the rice, "bacon", various cheeses, apples, couple kinds of salami, some kind of fish roll, chopped fruit, yogurt, and some various grains which you can run through a grinder. Quality of the meats/cheeses seems great to me coming from the USA. Only problem is that the breakfast never changes. Over a 2 week stay there was basically no change in the breakfast options. This shouldn't bother you at all if you are just having a short stay.

Other reviews have mentioned air conditioning. I didn't experience this at all. Either my AC unit didn't work or the AC units in Zurich are really weak. I wasn't aware that these rooms had AC so I just kept the windows open. Because of this, I think I got a bit of noise from other rooms. Either that or the walls are very thin.

Minibar is well stocked and pricing isn't completely insane. By Zurich standards, it might even be reasonable. The refrigerator isn't noisy at all, compared to US models which I have to unplug in order to get any sleep.

I would avoid the 100 and 200 level rooms. The hotel is built on a hill and the 100 level rooms seem somewhat below ground, although I believe they have windows. The 200 level rooms must get a lot of noise since they are next to the front desk, the honesty bar, the elevator, AND the breakfast rooms. Unless you are on a severe budget or have limited mobility, I would avoid the 200 level rooms.

The hotel is right in front of the Haldenegg tram stop. There is absolutely no way you can miss this hotel if you get off at the Haldenegg tram stop. You can take the #10 tram directly to the airport (couple dozen stops, ~30 minutes) or you can take the #10 tram to Zurich HB (main) station (2 stops, 5 minutes, or 10 minute walk). The location is close enough to the restaurant area to be very convenient, but not too close to be noisy until the wee hours of the morning. Keep in mind that I kept my windows open for about 2 weeks- the noise mostly dies at around 10PM.

The window shades are probably among the best I have seen anywhere- although I have not traveled much in Europe. There are standard blackout curtains, but in addition there are metal shutters which are controlled from a switch next to the bed. My sleeping is very sensitive to light, but during my first day I slept about 18 hours with no problem.

I would probably stay here again by myself. It is not quite up to my wife's standards, but she is a very picky lady.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear mrrogertheshrubber,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this outstanding review. It is great to get such a detailed response. We always trye hard to improve ourselves.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and looking forward to welcome you back in the Comfort Royal Zurich.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Friendly staff, accommodating and great location near train station and old town. We stayed here to celebrate our anniversary and they gave us great service and even upgraded our room for no additional charge. Quite unexpected. :)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank common123
Peter V, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Dear Peter, thank you for taking your time to write this nice review about the Comfort Hotel Royal. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially for mentioning our great customer service. We look forward to welcoming you back soon in Zürich!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Other than the cost and the ability to regulate the air conditioning in the room I cannot recommend this hotel.
Compared to other three star hotels in Switzerland that I stayed in, I am surprised this one attained the three stars.
Yes the location is okay and close to the station but I would rather stay further away and not have to put up with second hand cigarette smoke every time I opened the door to leave the room. There are no non-smoking floors in this hotel.

1  Thank Ceried
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for your review! We are sorry to hear that you had problems during your stay at the Comfort Hotel Royal Zürich. In fact we have only non-smoking rooms and we are very sorry, that your neighbor obviously smoked on the floor and/or in his non-smoking room.
We will inform our staff to control this rule better.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The rooms are extremely basic however the individual air-conditioner was a real advantage. Also had an outside blind that helped to shut out the world for a good night's sleep. Otherwise a pretty underwhelming hotel. We had stayed in several 3-stars throughout Switzerland and unfortunately cannot rate or recommend this one. Please be aware that there are no non-smoking floors; you can get a non-smoking room but the one next to you could be a smoking room which was very unpleasant and not good for asthmatics etc. glad we only had one night here.

1  Thank Cazzyh68

In fact we have only non-smoking rooms and we are very sorry, if you had any problems with smoking neighbors.

We will inform our staff to control the non-smoking rule better.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich is conveniently located just 2 tram stops from the main railway station. The tram No. 10 stops right in front of the hotel and you can reach the hotel within 25 minutes from the airport by tram. The room is simple and basic and so is the breakfast. The hotel was very accomodating and allowed me to check in at 1000 hours after a 12-hour flight from Singapore. Wifi is free but at times the connection was poor probably due to heavy usage. At CHF 180 for a double room with breakfast, it is great value considering that Zurich is an expensive city.

2  Thank aukahkay62

Dear aukahkay62

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this review.
In the moment we renegotiate the WIFI connection with our internet provider to have a better connection for our guests in future.

Thank you and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Zurich is seriously expensive, so while I would normally accuse this hotel of being grossly overpriced, in context it is absolutely fine.

My room was 150 SF, and was tiny. A comfortable single bed, a desk and a single Swiss plug (no EU type plug). The friendly reception staff were happy to supply an adapter. Wifi was 18 SF but was perfectly fast, and breakfast was good. The room had AC.

The hotel is 5 minutes walk (uphill) from the main station, so location is its biggest advantage. I would stay there again quite happily. My only real gripe was that when a quite astonishingly rude businessman pushed to the front of the queue to check out, they apologised to us but still served him first.

Overall, not really a four blob, but three seems overly harsh.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LichfieldGordon
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for assessing our house. Comments from our guests are important to us, and with their help we can work harder so as to continually improve our service.
Do you know, that we have free wifi in the lobby since 2013?

Your Comfort Hotel Royal, Zürich Team