“Basic but comfortable and friendly”

Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich
Ranked #104 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Zurich is seriously expensive, so while I would normally accuse this hotel of being grossly overpriced, in context it is absolutely fine.

My room was 150 SF, and was tiny. A comfortable single bed, a desk and a single Swiss plug (no EU type plug). The friendly reception staff were happy to supply an adapter. Wifi was 18 SF but was perfectly fast, and breakfast was good. The room had AC.

The hotel is 5 minutes walk (uphill) from the main station, so location is its biggest advantage. I would stay there again quite happily. My only real gripe was that when a quite astonishingly rude businessman pushed to the front of the queue to check out, they apologised to us but still served him first.

Overall, not really a four blob, but three seems overly harsh.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LichfieldGordon
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for assessing our house. Comments from our guests are important to us, and with their help we can work harder so as to continually improve our service.
Do you know, that we have free wifi in the lobby since 2013?

Your Comfort Hotel Royal, Zürich Team

Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located approximately 10 mins walk from the main station. The reception was friendly and efficient, got checked in very fast. The facilities in the room was minimal but sufficient and clean for one night and the bed was comfortable. They have free wifi in the hotel, however there is no connection as soon as you enter the room. The breakfast was good and the waitress was friendly. It is a non smoking hotel, however they do have a smoking room which I thought was quite considerate and the smell doesn't 'leak' out like some other places do. Overall I would recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SLau88

Thank you for assessing our house.
We enjoy your positive feedback on our staff and location.
We hope to see you soon again in your Comfort Hotel Royal, Zürich!

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We arrived in Zurich late and needed a hotel close to the train station. This hotel is very basic and way too expensive. The wireless service was poor. The breakfast was pretty good. The bed was comfortable but overall the price was outrageous. We paid 225 francs for a basic room which for this place was just too much.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan E

We try to expand the wireless service right now.

Your Comfort Royal, Zürich

Reviewed April 19, 2013

If you need to stay in a place and set your expectations to average, you will enjoy your sleep, your breakfast as well as the bill at the end. Rooms are clean but small, It will be good enough for couple of days.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cagatay H
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thanks for your time and the review of our house. Comments from our guests are important to us, and with your help we can improve our service.

Your Comfort Royal, Zürich Team

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel did exactly what you shouldn't do.
I reseved a room with a nonsmoking Queen size bed for a single occupancy but got a jail cell sized room with a single bed and a miniature bathroom. The tiny space was overheated and loaded with cigarette's fumes. At night there was a significant noise of guests in and out the rooms and elevator creating an unsafe feeling. The free wifi is available only in the lobby, limited to 20 minutes, when you request a password at the desk.
The location, however is excellant.
Punch line- look for another place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SNMtoronto
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for assessing our house. Even though today your review is a negative one. As in most of swiss hotels we have single and double bed rooms. The singe beds are 120x200 cm and 140 x 200 cm - Half of the rooms have small (single) bathrooms. Our double bedroom has 160x190 cm beds. All rooms are nonsmoker.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I don't mind basic hotels, generally have good experiences at Ibis etc, and I doubt most Comfort Inns are as bad as this one. The room I was given was like a dungeon, actually it was a dungeon as it was in the basement.

The doors weren't safe, I could easily kick them in (although I doubt that is an issue in Zurich). The room was absolutely tiny, the bed didn't have a headboard and just a gap where one should have been. The electrics did my head in, all jumbled together which made inserting a charger a bigger job than it should be.

There were heating pipes in my room that were boiling and making very strange noises, the window hardly opened to allow fresh air in.

The worse part of the place was the bathroom, it absolutely stank of a shower curtain that was probably 5 years old, the shower was terrible and the floor would flood after every shower. The shower head was so low, I'd love to see photos of me in that shower :-) the positions I was in to wash myself weren't normal. The toilet was in an awkward place where you're right knee would be against the wall. The sink and mirror placing was completely wrong, more water was getting on the floor than the skink when I was having a shave.

I don't like hotels where you have to pay for wi-fi.

The only benefit to the basement room was that I could go into the boiler room which was across from my room to iron my shirts, as the cleaners did their washing etc. I was also able to get free wifi as reception was directly above me. You can catch the tram right outside the hotel to go to and from the airport, infact don't catch a cab here, that tram is very convenient and easy.

I know Zurich is an expensive place, but this hotel didn't provide value for money, I'd say a private room in a hostel would be better.

Room Tip: Ask for the basement room....it's quality :-)
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jigsinsy
Peter V, Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you for assessing our house. Even though today your review is a negative one, we appreciate your time and will try to eliminate the deficiencies listed.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

My review of this hotel is boosted by the fact my room was on the top floor and had a stunning view looking out over Zurich,
Whilst the rest of the room was clean, comfortable and functional it was distinctly average in quality, not in line with the cost of the hotel, which, although reasonable for Switzerland was pretty expensive in my opinion.

All staff I met in the hotel were great,very friendly, attentive and professional.

The location was central and only a few minutes from the central station, although like others have stated at the top of a hill. A few minutes of brisk walking though and you are there and feeling like you have burnt a couple of calories!

I was disappointed with the lack of free internet, although I didn't have much chance to use it as the city kept me busy. Breakfast was good quality.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Doug_s10
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for assisting us in improving our service and facilities by giving us this feedback! We look forward to seeing you again soon in the Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich!