“Friendly Staff, great location, clean environment”

Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich
Ranked #101 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed November 30, 2012

The hotel's a little bit uphill so my mom and I had to take a cab to the hotel from the central train station for less than 12SF since we had 2 heavy luggages. The actual distant from the train station to the hotel is less than 10 minutes walk. The hotel itself is very close to the old town and to the pier where you can hop on a boat ride on Lake Zurich. Depends on how fast you walk, I'll say 20 minutes for fit ones and 30 minutes or a bit more for older people....

Staff at the hotel are super friendly and helpful and they speak good English and are always there to give us sufficient help regarding sightseeing, map reading and wifi connection. Your hospitality's greatly appreciated.

The room is not exactly spacious, but it's clean and cozy. I like the wooden floor in particular as carpeted floors could be filthy and rich in dust and germs. With wooden floor, it gives housekeeping staff no excuse to overlook dirts and I must say they've did a great job in tidying the room everyday.

The breakfast is just good enough to fuel me up until noon, it even provides rice! Yes jasmine rice for Asians and it definitely suits my mom's appetite. For me, the poached egg, toast, fresh fruit, yogurt and coffee are more than enough. Many thanks to the kitchen staff as I always made a mess after breakfast.

I'll definitely stay here when I visit Zurich again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Eliza L
Peter V, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Dear Eliza.
Thank you for your review. Comments from our guests are very important to us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your days in the Comfort Hotel Royal, Zürich.

And for your next stay, we have free wifi in the lobby.

Your Comfort Hotel Royal, Zürich Team"

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Located close to the railway station, it is an unexpensive and convenient hotel. Personel is very nice with travelers and desk service is very valuable. Rooms (at least mine) was a little bit small and old fashioned, with a bed that could have been a little bit more spacious. Still, enjoyable stay, would repeat next time I am at Zurich.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

In a city as expensive to visit as Zurich, it is rare to find value in a place where money does most of the talking. However, the Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich is at least trying to be an exception to this, and is achieving it to a notable extent. Our room, a junior suite, at 320 CHF per night, wasn't exactly cheap, but comparatively speaking it's well within the "mid-affordable" range. The bathroom had an aromatherapy sauna in it, in addition to the bathtub and shower. This was a fun feature.

We rented a junior suite because there were four of us - myself, my wife, and two young children (ages 2 and 4). While I'd call it a stretch to say it was a "junior suite," the space was not inadequate to our needs, and if you are similarly configured and only staying for a few days (we stayed Wed-Fri), I would say that the space is definitely adequate - but not beg enough to stretch out and get comfortable.

The room was nicely renovated and clean, and the main beds were comfortable. The extra bed, a wall pull-down, wasn't a very luxurious sleep experience but it sufficed while my wife shared the bed with our kids.

As previous reviewers have said, the hotel is in an excellent location - right front of a tram stop, one stop from the entrance to old town and two stops from the city center/main station.

The staff are very friendly and helpful, and were very accommodating when we requested late checkout. The breakfast was better than many I have seen in hotels within the same price range, and included omeletes made to order and lots of good coffee.

Given the austere nature of mid-range hotels in Switzerland, the Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich is a cut above, and I can recommend it in good conscience.

Room Tip: The junior suite is a better configuration if you are travelling with small children.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This had been my first visit to Switzerland and to Zurich , as a first time visitor I would like to make sure that I should see all things aroun in short span . Considering Zurich is very Over Priced , this did suited our budget for some of the reasons

1. All Attractions are walking distance atleast for me , 1 km or so
2. You have Airport Tram just outside Hotel ie Tram # 10 takes 30 min or 23 stops to reach Airport so very comfortable
3. Central and Main Station is also nearby
4. At the Back ie 100 -150 m you find , places to eat , Mc Donald , Clubs , Bars , etc as a Part of Night Life

As per hotel staff , they are friendly and in general good . A little more could have been expected but for CHF 275 per night , its acceptable .

Break fast , well not a very good part specially the eggs which were not boiled properly , and No Hot Milk was served . I asked she said it would take 3 minutes but that never came. Any how No complains . I would not recommend break fast . Its like New york type Hotel in Manhatten where every sq ft is costly . But thats about breakfast . Do not excpect too much here .

Secondly I would say for everything there was a Charge , you cant watch TV need to pay CHF 24 I suppose

Internet , well thats the worst aspect , they have LAN connection but charge 18 CHF , oohh , how very pathetic . Go to Sunrise take a 20 Franc card and enjoy 1 Franc per day unlimited Internet . Or you can use Wifi only at reception area . Which is little uncomfortable for us . Dont know why they have not done anything on the same.

Rooms were Ok , I was on 6th Floor , very small lift , just like NewYorker Hotels . Room Size ok , Beds Comfortable and more importantly peaceful.

Yes can be recommended , but prices of Some Hotels nearby you can find upto 175 CHF , not sure if thats important

Thats all about it .

Room Tip: All rooms seems good , but I suppose top rooms are good as they have some good view
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Peter V, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Traveller,

Many thanks for your comment - we appreciate your stay at the Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich and your detailed review on our property.

Just one point that might be interesting to you for your next stay: We offer a total of 42 TV channels (including an Indian channel, channel 30, as well as Anglo-American channels, e.g. CNN, BBC, NBC Europe, Sky News) to our guests for free. So only Pay TV channels are available at a surcharge.

We would be very pleased to accommodate you in the future again and hope you may enjoy this service at our hotel then!

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

With kindest regards from Zurich,

Peter F. Vogel
Comfort Hotel Royal Zurich

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This Hotel was booked at the last minute and proved to be the most expensive on our European vacation. It was comfortable, but not in the same class as other Hotels we stayed in. Given this is Switzerland, it was probably a decent price for a very overpriced country.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This hotel has a good location, just a few minutes' walk from the main train station, with trams passing the front door regularly. The staff were generally helpful, although when I asked if wi-fi is included I was told it was available in the lobby only and would not work in the room, which (happily) turned out not to be true. I was staying for 2 days but the reception at check-in would only give me a password for 24 hours, saying I would have to come back and get another password after 24 hours, which was a little inconvienient.

The room itself is quite basic. I had a single room and it was a decent size, although it did get a bit stuffy overnight (in June). The bathroom was decent, with a bath and shower. The bedding was nice and the bed was comfortable. The room was nothing extraordinary but I don't mind staying here for a business trip. The breakfast buffet was good - it included lovely croissants and pastries as well as the usual breads, meats, yoghurts and cereals.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I booked for 9 nights, but checked out after 3 nights. As soon as I entered the single room I knew something was wrong - while outside was cool the room was hot. I put it down to the climate control being on the wrong setting so I changed it. That did not work. I then opened up the window. That did not work. At this point I was getting a headache (just came off a trans-atlantic flight). I went downstairs and asked for another room because the one I was in was too hot. I was told they were aware of the problem and that they were fixing the compressor and it should be done by the end of the day. I took their word that it would be fixed. I had a most uncomfortable night even with the windows open. Next morning I met another person at breakfast who also complained about a small hot room. By the second day I was developing a cold and on the third day it got worst. I decided to check out of the hotel and book into another hotel which was a bit outside the center of Zurich (in Messe) but at this point health mattered more than convenience. It was a good move! This goes down as one of the worst hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business