“Excellent location and service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Romantik Hotel Europe

Romantik Hotel Europe
Ranked #12 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Bern, Switzerland
“Excellent location and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Europe for the second time last month. I decided to go back to the Europe due to its location right next to the opera house. I was impressed by the service i have received, the staff remembered me and offered me a wonderful welcome drink. The receptionist offered me the same room as last time which was beautifully decorated. I enjoyed my stay and will definitely return to the Hotel Europe next time I'll be visiting Zurich.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank 148Ela
GlobRes_12970, Verkaufsleiter at Romantik Hotel Europe, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear 148Ela

Thank you very much for your time and for your very nice review.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the stay with us and we have done our job well.

Yes, that is our Job to save preferences of our guests.
Thanks for the kind praise.
We always strive to get the best from our employees and to improve our quality continuously.

We would be delighted to welcome you again in the beautiful Hotel Europe.

Best regards

Mustafa Türker
Member of Director & Sales Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Arabic first
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Good location for this hotel; overall I was impressed by the little touches. Bathroom is very small but nicely appointed. Welcome drink (prosecco) in the bar. Good restaurant (Quaglino's) in the hotel in case you don't want to venture out at all. Windows very solid so no noise from the street at all. Friendly staff. I would stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Aveneg
Dear Aveneg

Thank you for your time and for your review.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the stay with us.

Sorry that you had a small bathroom.
We would be very welcomed if you had contacted the front desk. Of course, we would have given you another room.
Or call us at the next time for a booking directly, we would very much like it to advice and offer you a room with a larger bathroom.

Thanks for the kind praise of our reception and our restaurant.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at the beautiful Hotel Europe.

Best regards

Mustafa Türker
Member of Director & Sales Coordinator
Bucks
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Don’t stay in Room 30 – the bathroom floods every time you take a shower. You’ll need an extra towel or bathmats to keep the water back. The bathroom and bedroom smell strange and the air conditioning does not appear to work on any setting – open the top window and, if more air circulation is needed, open the door to the balcony. Not satisfactory at all. The breakfast is adequate, although we had an all-in package but the staff seemed very unsure about letting us have it. The reception staff are friendly and very helpful. Location is excellent, particularly for the opera house and the lake.

Room Tip: Ask a lot of questions about the room you are allocated
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank rscfanBucks
Sebastian_Kramer, Manager at Romantik Hotel Europe, responded to this review, October 30, 2014
We have recently launched our new hotel website europehotel(dot)ch where you receive our breakfast buffet free of charge. This offer is solely available on the hotel website and not available on booking(dot)com nor Expedia or any other travel agent.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Dear Tripadvisor users!
I have decided to share with you my thoughts about the hotel as it is important to know what to expect.
The hotel is nicely centrally located. And it is not overpriced for a four star hotel in Zurich.
Now let us see what it means a four star hotel in this case.
I came from the airport quite late (23.00). The first thing I noticed entering the hotel was an unpleasant smell of fried fish and burning oil. I was very hungry and I thought "at least restaurant is working". My blood sugar level is not always stable so I have to eat in due time.
I went up into my room (number 24) accompanied by the smell of kitchen all the way to my room.
In the room I found a safe that I needed but unfortunately it needed a key. I thought they have all been changed by now (it is 21st century) not to carry a safe key with you.
They brought me a key and asked to sign for it. I guess in case I loose it.
The room is small but OK. And only four pieces of furniture: a deska chair, a small table for magazines and a bed. Very narrow bed on wheels that allows the bed to slide under you when you move in sleep.
The funniest part of the room is a very very small bathroom with a tiny glass shower cabin. When I tried to open the door in the cabin it hit the sink so I could not squeeze into the shower. I pushed the door into the shower cabin, got myself in but it was a trick to close the door behind me.
It is partially my problem as I am quite tall - 6,3, and quite big as well - 112 kg ( aprox. 165 lb.) or 11.8 st. But I am still a human being
and I never had such a problem before.
I gave all this data for all of you to be able to imagine a fanny picture of a big man taking shower in a tiny shower room.
Now it was time to take care of my blood sugar- I thought. I called the reception for in room dining and the answer was: no meal till morning. The kitchen is closed.
Next day I checked the room of my colleagues who are staying in the same hotel to find out that they had a nice and reasonably furnished (king size bed) room with sufficient size bathroom and shower room (with sliding door that made much easier to get in and out). So we went downstairs and the funniest part started:
Question: why for the same amount of money we have rooms with so much difference?
Because you booked through booking.com and you colleagues called us directly.
Question: What happened with the mini bar you promised in my booking confirmation?(see the letter from booking.com)
We took away all our minibars as it was creating a lot of problems for us.
(So from now on - I thought - my dear guests you will have a problem when you want to take a medicine at night and there is not water in the room as they provide water for the first night only)
Question: Why I could not have something to eat in my room in the evening.
Answer: At night we can give only water.
Question: why on booking.com the hotel declares the 24 hour room service.
Answer: We meant only drinks.

My advice to all of you who traveling to Zurich.
If you decide to stay in Hotel Europe make sure you get a decent room with a proper bed. It s a double room but it is a bit more expensive.
I have a big question:
is it really a four star hotel?

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Igor S
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

This is a well-placed Hotel is not the most modern but is very pleasant and well-priced, it has a certain charm which is sometimes lacking in large hotels, the staff I found to be friendly and helpful.

The air-conditioning wasn’t the best and I can imagine in the height of summer difficult to live with, I had a room on the first floor which was a little noisy but I slept with the window open.

I think it’s good value for Switzerland and its well located.

Room Tip: go upstairs
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mondomodo
Bedford, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

For location, this place is it. Literally every tourist attraction in Zurich can be see from 5 minutes from here. However the rooms are the smallest rooms I have ever seen, even in former soviet countries. Service is minimal. But I would still stay their again because of the location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank dolphingvp
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Great small, very european hotel. Felt more like an inn. Good bistro next door. Great location, could walk to almost everything. Pleasant, low key staff. Smallish rooms but well appointed and very nice upscale bathroom. Had great dormer window. Room was very quiet. Excellent pick, would stay here again.

Room Tip: Hotel offers triples if you are traveling with a child, rare in Europe!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family