“Ok business hotel with poor wifi”

Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel
Ranked #78 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Quite well furbished room and bathroom. Nice and quiet. Feeble shower. Dreadful Swisscom external ripoff wifi for which you have to enter card details etc - Starwood really should tear up this contract. Complex to operate tv, even if u just want to watch CNN. Starwood really need to make life simpler!

Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Highgate_Wanderer
Pieter-van-Beugen, Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Highgate_Wanderer,

thank you very much for taking the time to write down your experiences.

I´m very sorry to hear that you had problems with your Wifi Connection. As you already mentioned we have an external contract with Swisscom which influences our WiFi prices and unfortunately delivers not the best connection now and then. At the moment we are negotiating with Swisscom to take over their Lines so we can manage them ourselves which means we are able to upgrade the download speed, improve the connection in all hotel rooms and set the prices as we want them.

Only because of such feedback you gave us we can continuously improve our service and get better every day, thank you very much again for that.

It would be a pleasure if were able to welcome you back to the Sheraton Zürich Hotel sometime in the future and maybe have the chance to show you the improvements we made on our internet offering!

Warm regards from Zürich

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel was no more than a 15 minute walk from the main train station. For those who don't want to make the walk, the tram gets you about three blocks away. The hotel is one block to the lake.

The front desk staff was super friendly, and fluent in flawless English. When I checked in, I asked the guy if he had studied in the UK, because he had a British accent. He was flattered that I thought his English was so good, and said this his English teacher was an Anglophile.

My room was clean and comfortable. The same woman cleaned my room each day and she was sweet, leaving me extra chocolate Santas in my room. (It was Christmastime.) I had various appointments and asked for a wake-up call each day, and they arrived right at the appointed time.

There's no wifi in the rooms (tethered access that you have to pay for), but there is free wifi in the lounge area on the ground floor.

All in all, and enjoyable stay without issues.

Room Tip: I had a room in the back, which was quieter, but that street isn't particularly noisy anyway, so...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TeunisGaelbhain
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Cosy and nice hotel in Zürich for business and holidays. Good and peaceful location near by the lakefront. Walking distance from downtown shops and sights. Great service. At the bar they offered very nice hot chocolate.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HOHarrison
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My husband travels to Zürich once per month and generally stays at this hotel because of it's convenient location, excellent staff and very good, free breakfast. I joined him on this trip for a short holiday and to meet up with friends. (We used to live in Zürich, so I am very familiar with the area.)

This is a very nice hotel and the stay is quite friendly and accommodating. As with all Swiss hotels, it was exceptional clean. (The Swiss are known for that!)

My only complaint was the bed, but that is a cultural difference. The Germanic cultures (Germany, Austria. German-speaking Switzerland) tend towards beds that are much firmer than I am accustomed to. And the "double beds" or Kings tend to actually be two twin mattresses next to each other on the same frame with separate sheets and comforters. It's a "German Thing." Sometimes the American hotels go with the American style beds (softer), but frequently do not. It's not something I would expect them to change, but if you are someone who has difficulty sleeping on harder mattresses, you would probably want to be aware that it will be a common issue when traveling in this part of the world.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gretchen H
Pieter-van-Beugen, General Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Madam / Sir,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel with us.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Zurich that you liked our Hotel. As you already mentioned bed preferences are different and I hope our Sweet Sleeper Bed didn´t keep you awake too long.

Wishing you all a merry Christmas and a happy New Year and hope to welcome you back to Zurich in 2013.

Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Very nice mid range hotel in Zurich.

Rooms are small but nicely decorated. And yes!, there is a free power outlet next to the bed.

View is not much to speak of, mine wad on a busy street.

Loved staying here.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Raymond L
Pieter-van-Beugen, Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Raymond L.

thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our Hotel.

Hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel in the near future.

Warm regards

Reviewed November 7, 2012

we were there a while ago, but the woman who was at the front desk was very rude and dismissive. i am not sure if she was a rude person in general, or if she was partial to not liking americans but it was a turnoff for sure. the location was decent - but the rooms were tiny. we paid with starwood points - if we had paid with cash i would have been really upset. i wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lazydaysNyc
Pieter-van-Beugen, Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Sir or Madame,

first of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us.
We are sorry to hear that you did not find the attitude of our front desk staff welcoming and
we would like to insure you that this is not a standard which we follow. Guest satisfaction is very important to us and totally independent of country of origin.

It would be a pleasure if were able to welcome you back to the Sheraton Zürich Neues Schloss Hotel sometime in the future and maybe have the chance to convenience you from the opposite!

Best wishes from Zurich!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is the fourth hotel in Zurich in which I've stayed over the past two years, and I've come to accept that hotels there are just not as good as anywhere else I've been. Thus, while the Sheraton is by no means of the standard I would expect of Starwood hotels in other cities, I would book here again.

Rooms:
My room and bathroom were a decent size for a hotel in Zurich, and the bed was comfortable. Everything was clean, although the decor is very bland. Also, wifi isn't offered in the rooms.

Service:
I really liked the service here. Everyone was nice, helpful, and efficient. Also, and it's a bit unusual for Zurich, they actually have turndown service each evening.

Location:
Great location if you are in Zurich for business (which I was). The area is likely a bit too commercial if you visit Zurich for tourism. Also, it's a bit far from good restaurants for dinner.

Food:
The breakfast was terrible. The breakfast room was cramped and dirty, and the small food selection was positioned rather awkwardly in a corner. The food was awful. I ate there only once despite it being included with my room charge.

I order room service for dinner once. On the plus side, they offer a healthy options menu, which is very hard to come by. On the downside, the food wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. If you are on an expense account and looking for a healthy option, I recommend it. If you are not optimising for health or are paying out of pocket, eat elsewhere.

Overall, the Sheraton is a better option than other places I've stayed in Zurich, but make sure to manage your expectations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kelli H

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to thank you very much for your extensive review.

It is always a pleasue and very useful for us to get such detailed comments about how we perform. Only in this way we can make our Service even better to our valued guests.

I hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel sometime in the near future.

Warm regards from Zurich