“It's fine...for Zurich”

Ranked #75 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Copenhagen, Denmark
“It's fine...for Zurich”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is the fourth hotel in Zurich in which I've stayed over the past two years, and I've come to accept that hotels there are just not as good as anywhere else I've been. Thus, while the Sheraton is by no means of the standard I would expect of Starwood hotels in other cities, I would book here again.

Rooms:
My room and bathroom were a decent size for a hotel in Zurich, and the bed was comfortable. Everything was clean, although the decor is very bland. Also, wifi isn't offered in the rooms.

Service:
I really liked the service here. Everyone was nice, helpful, and efficient. Also, and it's a bit unusual for Zurich, they actually have turndown service each evening.

Location:
Great location if you are in Zurich for business (which I was). The area is likely a bit too commercial if you visit Zurich for tourism. Also, it's a bit far from good restaurants for dinner.

Food:
The breakfast was terrible. The breakfast room was cramped and dirty, and the small food selection was positioned rather awkwardly in a corner. The food was awful. I ate there only once despite it being included with my room charge.

I order room service for dinner once. On the plus side, they offer a healthy options menu, which is very hard to come by. On the downside, the food wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great. If you are on an expense account and looking for a healthy option, I recommend it. If you are not optimising for health or are paying out of pocket, eat elsewhere.

Overall, the Sheraton is a better option than other places I've stayed in Zurich, but make sure to manage your expectations.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kelli H
Pieter-van-Beugen, Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to thank you very much for your extensive review.

It is always a pleasue and very useful for us to get such detailed comments about how we perform. Only in this way we can make our Service even better to our valued guests.

I hope to welcome you back to the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel sometime in the near future.

Warm regards from Zurich

Pieter van Beugen
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Monaco
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights recently. Positioned within 5 minutes walk of Bahnhofstrauss was very convenient for my wife's shopping and my business. Hotel is small, especially for a Sheraton but very well equipped. As reviewed previously their wifi is through a 3rd provider but I connected in the room through cable and found no problems. The rooms are well appointed and the in room espresso machine and iron and iron board were all a welcome treat after many other hotels in Europe simply do not have either. The staff were helpful but our late checkout included in our special rate was not acknowledged by staff at first who wanted to charge us CHF 50 per hour between 2.00 pm and 4.00 pm for the late checkout. After producing a hardcopy of the relevant reservation confirmation they didn't charge us. Did not try the restaurant, but would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ian P
Dear Ian P,

thank you very much for taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor.

It is good to hear that you enjoyed your time in Zurich and your stay at our Sheraton Boutique Hotel.

I´m sorry to hear that there were some misunderstandings about your late check out but I´m glad everything was solved directly on the spot. This unfortunately must have been some mistake in communication between our reservation and front office department, once again sorry for that.

It would be a honour to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Pieter van Beugen
Hotel Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed for three nights and liked the small, intimate vib of a boutique hotel. I also liked that the location was quiet and away form the main hub. You can get to any place by a nice walk or by the bus system which is worth experiencing as a model of efficiency. The staff was helpful and gave us good advice for food, etc. Very enjoyable and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janet R
Christina R, Director of Sales at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Janet R,

thank you so much for your review! Yes, due to our size of 60 roms, we are one of the smallest Sheratons with a boutique hotel feel, which our guests love.

We hope to have you back with us soon and send you warm regards from Zurich,

San Diego
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

After one night at the Crowne Plaza Zurich (horrible) we moved to this Sheraton. What a wonderful difference!! The staff was so helpful and we were treated wonderfully. The location is perfect for sightseeing and business. I was there for leisure and also to scout out hotels for my clients and friends. Will definitely send them to this Sheraton! The room was a very nice size and the Internet in the business center worked fine. Also great for early arriving US guests that have just flown all night. All around an enjoyable stay.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DebSTravelAgent
Dear DebSTravelAgent,

thank you so much for your kind words on your review. We are very happy to read that your stay was just great!

We would be pleased to welcome you again to the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel.

Kind regards,
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Spent two nights there. Good location with easy walk to the waterfront area. Room confortable and clean. Staff were very helpful. Had a rental car and there was hotel parking for a fee. Their restaurant was closed on the weekend which wasn't good but we found restaurants within an easy walk. There was a lounge area and bar so we had a drink there in the evenings. We had a room facing an inner courtyard away from the street so it was nice and quiet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BermudaMom1956
Dear BermudaMom1956,

thank you for your review on the Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel! We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and found some nice alternative for when our restaurant was closed.

Kind regards,
Manhattan, New York, NY
Reviewed October 11, 2012

As SPG members, my spouse and I stayed a couple of nights this past July. The staff was extremely helpful, the suite was perfectly renovated, and the hotel was in a lovely, quiet location (near lake). The hotel is probably the smallest Sheraton in the system, which lends itself to more of a "boutique" feel, as opposed to the standard "corporate group focused big box" Sheraton property found in most urban markets. Breakfast was superb, and had all the goodies one would expect in terms of European pastry. The hotel was also very good about accepting small pets - our old cat had a restful sleep, and so did we. This is truly the best Sheraton in Starwood's system. We would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank marmotton
Dear marmotton,

thank you so much for your kind words in this exceptional review! We daily do our utmost to make our guests happy and comfortable.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Warm regards from Zurich,
Norristown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Hotel suited all our needs for a one night stay. Reception at check in by Marie was warm & friendly. Received a map of the area and a useful Zurich "In Your Pocket" Guide. Opted for the free welcome drink as our Gold Member benefit instead of points or wifi. No wifi in the rooms was part of the decision here. This wasn't a big deal since the lobby had wifi and two desktop computers. Received an "enhanced" room as a Gold member, I love these marketing tactics! It was a corner room (that makes it "enhanced" I guess) on the 2nd floor, decent size, clean and nice bathroom. Free bottle of water in the room was very much appreciated as were the Ricola mints. Other staff members were genuinely nice and friendly, one staff member helped my wife carry her bag up the 10 or so steps up to the lobby from the street. Which I thought was strange, given the handicapped accessible world we live in today. The lobby bar tender was also very friendly. Our check out by Mark was nice and smooth. He offered to call us a taxi and it arrived within minutes.

The only thing that's getting to me about these SPG properties is the automatic donation to UNICEF on our bill. It was briefly mentioned to us at check in that we would have the opportunity to donate, but most of the times it's automatically added to my bill and I have to ask to have it removed. Not a big deal, it's a €1, but still. Other than that incident, and this is not unique to this property; it was a nice stay.

Room Tip: Enhanced room = corner room.