“Like sleeping on a cloud!”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 19, 2010

This was my first trip to Zurich and I actually had difficulty getting inspired to go out to see the city, because the bed was just so comfortable I didn't want to leave it! But I digress:-

We arrived in Zurich by car and the hotel was easy to find and we could drive straight into their underground parking garage. I noticed later it was also very close to the train station, so would be also very convienient for those arriving by rail. The welcome at the front desk was probably the most friendly I have ever received in a hotel anywhere. When we enquired about restaurants nearby, the staff were happy to recommend an excellent restaurant and made the reservation for us on the spot.

We booked a standard room and it was very large (certainly by European standards) and had a great layout. The toilet was in a separate room (with its own basin and mirror) and the bathroom was very large, with a huge shower AND a full size bath. The bathrooms were spotlessly clean. They also had numerous power sockets in each (so you can plug in your hair straightener or whatever and still stand in front of the mirror), which is a simple thing which so many hotels in Europe don't have. The bedroom itself had a work desk, a small table with two big armchairs, wardrobe and of course, the bed. The bed was very large and it had some type of woollen or down underlay on the mattress - combined with the lovely bed linen, it was the softest, most comfortable bed I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping in.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel, so can't comment, but we walked down to the old town (perhaps 15 mins away) where there were plenty of great cafes and restaurants. The only downside of our stay was that a member of the housekeeping staff let herself into our room late one afternoon (after managing to somehow unlatch the chain across the door) and without knocking or calling out first, which I found a bit strange. But other than that little surprise, the hotel was excellent and I would most certainly stay there again.

Reviewed May 18, 2010

About an 8 minute easy walk from the train station. We had 3 rooms at this hotel. Single room was large with a work desk area. Other two doubles were adequate size. A/C did not cool enough to southern standards. Rooms were quiet. Bathrooms had nice fixtures and amenities. Free fruit and apple juice available in the lobby. One computer available in the lobby. Wifi available in the room.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2010

The only 2 complaints I had of this hotel was that the room smelled of cigarettes despite it being a smoke free hotel. The second was that parking was extremely expensive. When I first got there, I asked one of the receptionist and was told that it cost $15, however upon checkout it turned out to be $25 per day, which cost us a total of $50 in parking alone. It's the most we've had to pay for parking on our trip so far.

Apart from these 2 things, the hotel is a short walk to Central Zurich and Bahnofstrasse. The staff were helpful and friendly. We didn't have a Swiss converter and they offered one for us to use. The room itself was clean and quite roomy. Prices were reasonable given the location.

Reviewed May 17, 2010

If you are on business in Zurich for a couple of nights then this hotel might be adequate, but if you are a tourist looking for 4 star accommodation this hotel is far from adequate. Its locations stinks. It is too far from all the major sights and is in a very uninteresting, ugly part of town. The building itself is a soulless, sad, mid-centrury facade, the lobby is depressing and the entire vibe of the place is dreary. The clean, crisp, centrally located feeling one gets from its website is a total misrepresentation. It certainly doesn't have any 4 star feeling. I eventually changed hotels. This hotel may look like a good value for the money but it is not.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
5  Thank DJJY
Reviewed May 15, 2010

I read a lot of reviews and looked around a lot to find a good hotel in Zurich that was in a good location that wasn't too expensive. I chose this hotel and was very very pleased with the choice. The front desk staff was above and beyond helpful, polite and excellent. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on. I really liked the location because it is close to the train station and close to everything in town. I stayed in the supirior room for my 4 night stay and was very please with the space and furnishings. Also, I noticed a lot of hotels in Switzerland have odd bathrooms where they are open to the main room so if you are sitting on your bed for example, there would be no door to block you from seeing a person in the bathroom bathing or brushing their teeth. I think that sort of bathroom setup is strange so I was very happy that this hotel has the standard, closed door, non window, private bathrooms that I like.

The only negative thing I can say about the hotel stay was the housekeeping service, seemed to get worse each additional day, it was excellent the first day but the room was not given very much cleaning attention the following days.

If I travel to Switzerland again I will definately stay at this hotel and I would recommend it to my friends as well.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed at this hotel from 30th Apr to 3rd May 2010. The hotel is 5 mins walk from the train station, 15mins to the lake and about 10 mins to the old town.The staff were 100%, so happy to be of assistance.The room was spotless. The bed was so comfy as others have commented. We had a breakfast inclusive rate and the breakfast was very good, even served till 1:30pm at the weekends. The room included a minibar and flat screen TV and safe. The shower was both hot and powerfull. We would stay here again and recommend this hotel.

Reviewed April 29, 2010

This hotel was a great find, we booked this hotel after reviewing it on TripAdvisor.

It was a easy 5 minute walk from the station and we found the staff to be excellent.
The free WiFi was a nice addition. The staff were very helpful when it came to advising which local restaurants to go to (depending on your budget) and how to get to local attractions.

The room was nice and very comfortable, the room doors are fire rated which makes the sound proofing excellent.
Zurich in general is quite expensive, the bar in the the hotel is no exception. A Vodka and coke cost 16 CHF, 11 for the Vodka and 5 for the tiny bottle of coke.

Overall we would recommend this hotel, just avoid the bar.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple