“Excellent hotel, with real charm in the centre of Zurich”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #33 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here during a hot weekend in Zurich, and the air conditioning was very good!
We received an extremely warm welcome, and were upgraded to a lovely room.
The breakfasts are really delicious, we include it in our BA package.
We ate supper in the bar and it was very tasty, along with the local beer!
Excellent service given by very lovely staff!
Pieter and his team do a brilliant job in both the bar and the breakfast room.
Another plus here, check out is at 12 MD which is a help if you have an afetrnoon flight.
The hotel is a good 5 mins from the Hauptbanhoff, but it is also reached by the excellent trams.
I recommend the Zurich travel card which seems expensive initailly, but gives you the incentive to get out and about with out worrying about tickets!
Make sure you validate your ticket OUTSIDE of the train or tram.There`s a place at the side of the ticket buying machine on the tram/train platform.

Room Tip: Include breakfast in your package, and if you can ask for a room on the 2 nd floor, then you can use...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Continental-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Kirbykx, I am delighted about your positive feedback about your trip to Zurich and to our hotel in July. We know how good it feels to return to an air conditioned room after a hot summer day in the city, that is why all of our rooms have an A/C. I am glad that you also enjoyed your dinner and our breakfast buffet and I will definetely share your feedback with Pieter and his whole F&B team. I hope that we can welcome you again soon. Kind regards from Zurich, Imke Rohde - Guest Relations Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed July 23, 2013

If I didn't have Accor points to be redeemed, I must admit I would have never chosen this hotel. But it exceeded my expectations. Just a 5 minutes walk from Zurich Hauptbahnhoff, it is really a good option to the (much) more expensive hotels I'd stayed at in Zurich. The superior king room is really spacious, and comes along with free access to the minibar (soft drinks, beer, wine and Swiss chocolate included). Excellent air conditioning, very comfortable bed, nice bathroom. Breakfast (not included in the room rate) can be expensive if you choose the buffet, but there are cheaper options available (like the express breakfast, for instance).
Attentive and friendly staff, and a cozy bar, contribute to make me seriously consider this hotel for my next stay in Zurich.

Room Tip: Ask for the Swiss Superior King.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Continental-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Le Club member, thank you for taking your time to give us a feedback about your stay in July. We are happy that you gave us a chance to convince you with our spacious Kingsize Superior Room, the bar and our staff. To exceed our guests expectations is the highest goal and I am be happy to share your positive feedback with the whole team. I hope you will return soon. Kind regards, Imke Rohde - Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Prior to beginning our AMA Waterways River Cruise we opted for four days/nights in Switzerland. The first two were in Zurich. We stayed at this hotel, which was booked by the cruise company. It was delightful, the rooms were quaintly decorated and the beds were the most comfortable I have slept in in many years. I have no complaints about the hotel except that it was slightly, and I do mean slightly, inconvenient. It was a longer walk to the Old Town area, the train station and the shopping areas than I would have liked. But, I would stay there again without hesitation.
The staff was very friendly and helpful, the restaurant was good, the rooms clean and quiet. What else could one ask for.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LIGirl846
Continental-GM, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear member of AMA Waterways River Cruises, thank you for taking your time to give us an evaluation about your stay. We appreciate every single one and I like to hear, that you enjoyed your time in Zurich and in our hotel. I will ensure that the whole team will be informed about your positive feedback. We hope to see you in Zurich again soon. Warm regards, Imke Rohde - Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We thought the hotel was a bit dated decor wise and the first room they gave us stank of sewage.
We stayed here at the start of July and it was fully booked due to the comparatively cheap costs for rooms.

The Rooms

We were upgraded so the room was a decent size. Tea making facilities are provided and a turn down service is offered. The shower pressure is good and a range of toileteries are provided. A big bonus is that they show BBC, ITV and Channels 4 & 5 so we were able to keep up with Luther, the tennis and The Apprentice which was a great touch. The beds are amazing. Incredibly comfortable.

Also if you book via their own website you get breakfast included though the rooms are cheaper if you use booking sites so don't know if its better value for money if you pay for breakfast yourself and book via a third party site.

Location wise it was perfect. The hotel is about a 8 minute walk from the train station. It is literally just around the corner. The train from the Airport costs £5 each way but no one once checked our tickets. The journey takes about 15 minutes. We arrived on a tuesday and their was a food market at the train station but was gone by wednesday, again I am not sure if there was a food festival or if it is just something they do every tuesday.

The check in ladies at the hotel are very slow and there was a tall blonde lady who seemed pretty uninterested in what she was doing. Halfway through our check in she decided to just walk away and start surfing the internet at another desk. This was very rude. We then had to ask another receptionist to check us in.

The rest of the staff were very friendly and pleasant.

There is not much to do in Zurich so if you have time then I would recommend taking the train to the Lake Zurich, the really nice part is about and hour away. The water is the most amazing colour. We also went to Vaduz in Leichtenstien but that is one of the ugliest capitals I have seen. A ticket to vaduz including the bus journey costs £60 return and the conductor checks your tickets twice on each journey.

You will need to get a train to Sargans then look out for the Green/yellow buses to Vaduz. Zurich was pleasant enough, it rained while we were there but it is a big industrial city geared for busnessmen/women. There are loots of bars restaurants and drinking places as well as a pretty old town.

Room Tip: Insist on a non-smoking room. They smell better.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest, I am happy to read your detailed review about your stay in our hotel. We really appreciate your positive feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed our complimentary upgrade, as well as the Housekeeping service and the international TV channels.
I would also like to take the opportunity to apologize for your experience with one of our Front Desk staff. I truly understand your disappointment and irritation, but I am glad to hear that other staff members met your expectations. A warm welcome, the motivation to provide the best service possible and true enthusiasm for hospitality is one of our most important values. I hope we will see you in Zurich again. Kind regards, Imke Rohde - Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed July 20, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Hotel Continental is just ten minutes walk from Zurich's HB station and close to many restaurants, attractions and Lake Zurich. We stayed at the hotel in June for five nights in an Urban Swiss Standard King room. A really excellent full buffet breakfast was included and served in a lovely Swiss style setting.

Our room on the second floor was quite large and met all our expectations.

The staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. We recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

We appreciate you sharing your memorable experience on tripadvisor. Thank you for having taken the time to do so and for having chosen to stay at Hotel Continental Zurich. Sincerely, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed July 17, 2013

Hotel Continental is in a great location within walking distance to the railway station and city center. I can't assess the value of the rooms or breakfast because we were on a tour but I can say that the breakfast buffet is one of the best I have ever experienced. The bedding and pillows were like sleeping on a cloud.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the flowers! We are delighted you enjoyed our magical MGallery bed system and our fabulous Grand Breakfast buffet. Best regards from sunny Zurich, Monica Voegeli