“Hidden Gem in Zurich”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Youngstown, Ohio, USA
“Hidden Gem in Zurich”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We always like to find 4-5 star hotels that don't break the bank. The Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery Collection fits the bill perfectly. The hotels location in Zurich was slightly off the main downtown area but that was a huge plus. Much quieter than if it was 1 street over. Yet, the hotel is 5 minutes from all the main attractions and an easy 15 minute drive to the airport. Parking was a bit overpriced in the hotels underground 2 levels at $30 Swiss Francs per day but really you don't need a car in Switzerland with the incredible mass transit system and trains that go to Bern, Luzerne, and all throughout the country. The rooms were very comfortable and the beds were quite comfortable. Very clean hotel so kudos to housekeeping. The Asian restaurant attached to the hotel looks good but we did not eat there as there are literally hundreds of choices in the old town area and near the Bahnhofstrasse. The train station is a short walk from the hotel and so is the old town and Bahnhofstrasse. (upscale shopping area) The historic churches are also very close to the hotel if that's your destination and so are the museums. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for posting your lovely feedback. I will certainly forward your compliments to my housekeeping team, I am sure they'll be thrilled. Looking forward to your next visit, best regards, Monica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Auckland New Zealand
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Great location an easy 10 min pretty flat walk from the main train station. Unique style and very Swiss and professional staff, everything as it should be. Nice free local swiss apple juice in the lobby. Amazing breakfasts, huge variety and excellent quality. A nice change from chain hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
What a delightful review, thank you for posting it. I am very happy you enjoyed our The Grand breakfast buffet, which is really something we put a lot of thought an effort into it. I'll gladly forward your compliments to my team. Thank you and best regards, Monica
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 16, 2013

In the words of the great Michael McDonald: They keep forgettin'…about your basic needs. Again and again.

For example checking in. We arrived at 2.20pm and knew we were 40 minutes early but hoped we could get our room since we traveled by train for a few hours. They told us that our room would hopefully be ready in half an hour and a few minutes after 3pm I walked over to the front desk to ask if it was ready. No it was not. And they assured me that they would inform us as soon it was.

50 minutes more went by and I walked over once again and this time I could hear on the girl's voice that she's forgotten about us 'cause now suddenly, at that very moment, it was ready. As it surely had been for a while. Well, stuff happens, no worries. But not the best start.

Up to the room and everything about it was fine, except we wanted to order foam pillows for the neck since they had those on the "pillow menu" and we've been sleeping on terrible pillows at The Ramada in Engelberg for 3 nights. Called housekeeping, no answer. Called the front desk and they confirmed they would send te pillows up. Went out on the town for a while, no pillows when we came back. Called down again and they would fix it immediately.

Now late in the evening and still no pillows and as we went out with our dog for the last walk we asked at the front desk again and this time new pillows were in our room when we came back. Unfortunately it was not neck pillows. We chose not to call them again that night.

The next day we told them about the pillows again and this time they came by with a neck pillow but only one. Well, we were leaving the day after so we didn't care to bother about the issue anymore.

When we booked the hotel we did it mainly because they allowed dogs and because of the proximity to the central station. So we knew the area wasn't particularly nice and yes, it was really grey and boring on a busy street. But other nicer areas are not far, so this was no biggie, but if we visit Zürich again we will check for other hotels. First and foremost because of the location actually. Cause the forgettin'-business could really happen anywhere and I'm guessing we really were just very unlucky this time. But I can't give them more than a 3 out of 5 counting in all aspects. Over and out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all I would like to express my sincere apologies for the chain reaction of misshaps regarding your pillow request. I will certainly look into the matter with my front office team as well as my housekeeping team in order to improve this nonfunctional miscommunication. For your inconveniences I am really sorry and hope you accept my sincere apology. Best regards, Monica
Munich
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Nice hotel close to the main railway station, main shopping street and center. Excellent service and hospitality. I would recommend for anybody who is looking for quiet, comfortable hotel close to Zurich downtown.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Piotr_MM
Many thanks for your positive feedback on tripadvisor. We hope to welcome you back soon, sincerely, Monica
Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Recommended by our travel agent and they didn't let us down! A bit expensive, as we expected in Switzerland , but worth it. The staff were excellent, the room was small but lovely, the breakfast brilliant. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I am delighted you had a memorable stay with us and I will gladly forward your compliments to my team. Best regards, Monica
Sacramento, California, United States
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were with a post-River-Cruise group in May, 2013 and stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel staff did a great job organizing and delivery our luggage. And hotel accommodation was good. Because we were a large group of guests, we were divided by 3 time slots for breakfast that was reasonable. However, the buffet staff allowed us exactly only 50 minutes to eat (they even came to inform us that our time was up.) That was not a good impression for many of us. Overall, it was a good hotel for travelers.

2 Thank Annie L
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback. While I understand your point regarding the breakfast time slots, it is the only way we can manage to serve breakfast to all of our guests. We are a small boutique hotel with limited space, as you experienced yourself and to seperate guests from others is just not in our spirit of hospitality. For your inconveniences I extend my sincere apologies. Sincerely, Monica
Rockford
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed with a large tour group. We found this to be a warm, friendly, beautiful hotel. We prefer small boutique style hotels and this fit the bill - some in our group were disappointed as they prefer the large hotels with big spaces and large rooms We loved the well appointed rooms and the fact that they felt warm and intimate. The breakfast room is very warm and cozy - the food is outstanding and the service superb. I would love to know what brand of coffee they serve (I forgot to ask the food Mgr. - Peter - I call him Peter the Great. He is Great in stature and service) The china is lovely as are tables and the setting. The 'living room' just outside the breakfast area is also a lovely venue to talk or just relax.
Our room was 'small' by US standards but we found it more that adequate and very cozy.
The bed was outstanding, the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
They also have a wonderful patio/garden area between the 2 wings of the Hotel - a hidden treasure for sure -
The hotel is a short walk from the train station and old town - we never felt unsafe walking to or from here - day or night.
I would stay here again and would not hesitate to recommend it to friends.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for having taken the time to write about your experience on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed memorable moments with us and I will make sure to forward your compliments to Peter and his team. By the way: we serve Nespresso coffee (because George Clooney can't be wrong :-) Looking forward to your next visit, best regards from Zurich, Monica