“luxury hotel”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #31 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 13, 2013

luxury hotel, Really close to the train station and the old town
staff is really nice and room service is correct (not a lot of choice but for all tastes)
only downside when your traveling for business: no fitness center..

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Thank you for your honest feedback. I agree that the lack of a fitness center is our major down side, which is why I am working on a project with our headquarter. Hopefully I'll succeed shortly.
Best regards, Monica

Write a ReviewReviews (2,149)

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Everything was great at this hotel. The staff is very friendly, the lobby is a charm, and the room is just amazing: very very comfortable, clean, great quality amenities and also big and clean bathroom (with a nice bathtub). Just premium.

Location? Walking distance from Zurich HB, which is pretty much what everybody wants.

Zurich is a very expensive city, so the price can be a little in the expensive side, but if you can manage to get a good discount from Accor group (as we did) I totally recommend this place.

p.s: oh yeah, I'm not one of the big fans of the free apple juice of the lobby as some of the previous reviewers, but it is a nice touch anyway.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Your lovely review is highly appreciated. Thank you so much for having taken the time to do so. I am sure that my team will be as delighted as me to read it. Best regards, Monica

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I spent 9 or 10 days at the Hotel Continental in February for business, and overall had a terrific stay with a few caveats.
Pros: location, (most of the) staff, restaurant, amenities, décor
Cons: the night manager who is extremely rude, no in-house massage or spa

Location: not ideal, but still very good. About 150 meters or so from a tram stop that makes getting about the city easy, or if you prefer a bit of light exercise, a 7-10 minute walk from Zurich's main train station, the Bahnhofstrasse (think, Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles), AND the "Old City" (beautiful tourist area with many of Zurich's gorgeous churches, restaurants and shops). The public transportation in Switzerland is EXCELLENT and inexpensive, so a car typically isn't necessary. I rented a car for 18 or so of my 31 days in Switzerland, and frequently found myself preferring the trains versus driving.

Accommodations: the rooms are nicely decorated and reasonably priced versus nearby competitors. I've stayed at several other hotels in Zurich (Ramada, Hotel Krone Unterstrass et al), and overall, Hotel Continental (hereafter, "HC") gets the nod. The rooms might seem a tad small if you've never stayed in the central parts of Zurich, but compared to the USA, smallish rooms are the norm or else you've got to pay for an upgrade (I was given a free upgrade for the duration of my stay). Some hotels have larger rooms for the same price, but skimp on décor or service whereas HC strikes a proper balance. For business travelers, there is no hot iron in the room if you need to touch up your pants or shirt, but they of course offer laundry service. There is also a suitable desk, closet, and stand for garment bag-style luggage. Lastly, my room was decorated with an abundance of orange/amber from the pictures on the wall to the chair and the glow of the lamps. If this color scheme offends you, ya might want to inquire and see if the hotel has something else on offer. I liked the color scheme, but after a week it did start to grate on me a bit.

Room amenities: Swiss tap water is eminently drinkable in a way that makes Americans envious, and yet HC goes the extra mile by stocking their rooms with free bottled water during the day. Then the cheerful and polite maids will return in the evening to offer up yet more bottled water. Another appreciated touch are each room's electric kettles and a nice selection of teas/coffee (and some bite-size Toblerone chocolates). This is great during the winter when you might want a bit of tea to help stave off the sniffles or a cold. Cloth slippers, sewing kits, a nicely-stocked (for pay) refrigerator and the excellent wifi typically found in most Swiss hotels round out the extras.

Staff: mostly excellent. During my month in Switzerland, I observed more than a few situations involving stereotypically rude/loud/demanding Americans that found themselves stonewalled by Swiss who aren't required to kowtow like a Burger King employee to a customer's every whim. No matter where we are, treating people, employees or otherwise, with proper respect goes a long way toward how much courtesy will be returned, and I always endeavor to do so.
With this theme of "do unto others" in mind, my business trip took a few unexpected and very painful turns that could have resulted in disaster, and it was at these times the Hotel Continental staff really came through. After several long and nearly-sleepless days, at about 2-3am in Zurich, I was trying to meet a USA-based deadline, so I called the front desk. Khalid and Alex quickly and politely helped me resolve my problem. On yet another occasion, Caroline did a fair bit of phone/internet searching that saved me time and headaches from trying to read German (web and phone translators can't solve everything). But the biggest Hotel Continental superstars were Sasskia and Nichol. Those two ladies went above and beyond their job descriptions on multiple occasions. I literally do not know that I could have met my company's goals on this Murphy's Law nightmare of a business trip without their help, and they both did so with an air of calm, confidence, and class. When business was nearly completed, my company rewarded me with a two-week vacation in Europe to complete my stay, and once again, Sasskia came to the rescue by taking on the role of vacation planner. Having now completed my vacation, I can say her advice was excellent (protip: skiers/snowboarders should check out Ischgl/Samnaun before considering the more highly touted St. Moritz and St. Anton).
HOWEVER... there was one staffer who seemed intent on being rude and unprofessional; the night manager Lazhar. This man seemed to be perpetually disgruntled and went out of his way to be a jerk. Due to synching up for video conferencing with my USA-based company, I was frequently up during the late-night hours in Zurich. I had gotten to know much of the hotel staff on a first-name basis, and it was clearly apparent that this man, Lazhar, created an air of tension amongst the other employees. Not hard to see why this was so, because one evening I asked for some assistance from a young concierge and rather than be allowed to have the service charged to my room, the man Lazhar walked up and in a condescending manner, curtly demanded my credit card without so much as a please/bitte. After charging me, he then returned my card without bothing to say "thank you" and stomped off. I later asked for this same service two more times during my stay and none of the other HC employees had a problem simply charging my room; no credit card required. There were a couple other incidents with Lazhar that only emphasized this man's contempt for either his job or else the people around him, so it wasn't a one-time mistake on his part. In retrospect, given his behavior, it is plainly obvious to me that Lazhar's intent was to belittle, or at least disrespect, me as a person/guest of the hotel. I am generally considered to be quite affable and had zero problems with anyone else on staff, so this behavior by a supposed manager is unacceptable and is the sole reason the Hotel Continental does not merit an "excellent" rating.

Restaurants: the food in Switzerland is much more expensive than the USA (even McDonald's is about 2-3x the price of the US. With the higher prices in mind, I ate 3 times at the hotel's restaurant, and it's a good value. There are lots of wonderful places to eat in Zurich and I would definitely recommend people get out and try new places, but when you need to stay in, the Hotel Continental is great. The 32CHF breakfast buffet looked good, but I ordered the Wilhelm Tell (pictures attached) for 19CHF. A yummy breakfast, but there is a LOT of bacon which caught me off guard. The Rösti atop which the bacon and eggs rest is also the worst Rösti I had in Switzerland, and yet this mediocre Rösti still blows away the hash browns you find at 95% of American restaurants. I also had a nice 3 course dinner at the restaurant on another occasion which I'm pretty sure led to my severe case of food poisoning, but that sort of thing can happen anywhere and the authentically Swiss food I ordered was fantastic. The hotel also has a Chinese restaurant with a good reputation, but I was unfortunately unable to eat there. I arrived 15 minutes before they closed, and was told it was too late because the kitchen was closed. Oh well, at least they were polite in refusing me; apologizing so profusely I almost felt embarrassed.

The Bottom Line: I could go on and on about other details like the nice meeting area 1 or 2 floors above the lobby, the baby grand piano and nice library of books, an incredible wooden bench in the lobby (pictured), the secured parking garage and many other things, but the most important thing is that the Hotel Continental is an excellent stay close to the center of Zurich. The staff is outstanding from the bell boys and maids on up through to management (with one notable exception). For English-speaking guests in particular, so long as you're not overtly high-maintenance, this hotel is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Zurich is a business town, so room rates are higher during weekdays. To save a few bucks on hotels...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank HapaLesStelar
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We just came back from the Hotel Continental in Zurich. We went on points and I was not expecting much but was totally surprised by the rooms, the quality and the service. Centrally located, reasonably priced and breakfast was awesome! The perfect blend of European charm and American convenience and the free WiFi was just icing on the cake!!!

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade for an extra-special room and if you can get a package with breakfast, highly rec...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

What a wonderful feedback, thank you so much for posting it. I agree with your recommendation to book a room rate including breakfast, it is definately worth it (and a better deal if booked in advance). Best regards, Monica

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here on a 'going by train' holiday to Vienna stopping here in Zurich for 2 nights on the way out and for 1 night on our return.
We were given really good rooms so no complaints there from us. The hotel is beautifully laid out with style and kept in excellent condition. It has an upmarket feel to it. Most guests were business types and the only niggle was that our room only had one bath towel until mentioned, not a bad approach considering most guests will be singles so we understood this. Customer service is excellent throughout. Breakfast was super for me although my wife thought it was a bit impersonal. I think this reflects the 'for business' side again. The buffet was excellent and the fresh fruit is very good. The only downside with this hotel is the price but as other reviewers have said, this is Zurich so multiply everything by about 1.5 and you get the idea. The location is very handy for the train station so that worked well for us as we continued our railway holiday.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Gruezi & thank you for your honest feedback. I am delighted that you and your wife spend memorable moments with us and I will certainly forward your compliments to my team. I also noted your comment regarding the "sec" breakfast service, for which I would like to extend my sincere apology. I will certainly look into the matter with my restaurant manager, thank you for letting me know. Sincerely, Monica

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I was looking for a good alternative to the highly priced international hotels in Zürich center. I found this on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed - really nice room, probably the largest I've had ever, high quality breakfast buffet with a wide selection of local and international dishes. In addition a very service-oriented staff with great English skills (not so common in the area).
Am happy to return for my next visit to Zürich.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Henrik D

Thank you so much for posting your feedback on tripadvisor. We look forward to your next visit to Zurich. Sincerely, Monica

Reviewed April 7, 2013

My experience was very good. The only negative points in my opinion were the lack of choice in the restaurant and the fact that the staff did not inform us about the memorable moments.

I want to say though that, except forgetting to give the memorable moments information, the staff was very good. They were friendly all the way through.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank solonash
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for having taken the time to post your review on tripadvisor.
It is always a pleasure to read about our guest's memorable experience with us, but of course your constructive comments are appreciated, too. I will talk to the Front Office Manager regarding our MGallery check-in procedure and the memorable moment again. Thank you for letting me know and best regards, Monica