“Room for improvement”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #31 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 19, 2013

the family occupied three different rooms on the 6th floor of the hotel, unfortunately had to take two different located lifts to get to the 6th floor which is not easy when having a lot of luggage. May be bit of bad luck but during our stay the outside temperature dropped quite a bit and one room was good - gave on the inner court yard - one room was very hot and one was kept awake listening to the water circulating in the heating system and the third room was very cold. Some improvements were made to the last two rooms but the problems were not realy resolved.
Have been staying at this hotel at least once a year for many years and find that the bar and restaurant service and quality have gone down a bit.
My children went for breakfast the first day and were very dissappointed with the quality of the breakfast certainly at CHF 32 per person, that was the end of breakfast at the hotel for us.
We noticed that the hotel staff was a lot on the phone - difficult to tell if internal communication or not but still not pleasant to see/hear the hotel staff on the phone all the time when in the bar or the restaurant or the breakfast room etc.
Given all the aforementioned definitely room for improvement

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ErikvA
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for your honest feedback. I am very sorry about the issues with your room temperature on the 6th floor. Again, please accept our sincere apology. For your next stay obviously we will not allocate the entire Familiy on the 6th floor. The problems with the heatings have been looked into by maintenance company and are being taken care of. As to the apparant lack of attentiveness in the bar & breakfast area (phone), I apologize and will look into it with my restaurant manager. Thank you again for letting us know and I do hope that you'll give us another chance upon your next stay with us. Best regards, Monica Voegeli

Write a ReviewReviews (2,163)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was there an hour before 14.00 hrs, check in time. All the guests were waiting to be checked in..
The Front Desk staff, 3 of them were just talking to each other instead of at least getting the paper-work done. I insisted that I wanted to get my Paper work done so that I could enter my room at 14.00 hrs. I made a lot of noise and then finally they decided to do what I said. At 14.00 hrs I again went to the front desk and asked for the entry card to enter my room. I was given the card at 14.15 and other guests paper work was still not done. The staff needs to learn to be proactive, courteous and talk a bit less between themselves. Unfortunately this hotel has been taken over by a large chain and is NOT what it used to be. I was there for the first time 44 years ago and I know how it used to be

Room Tip: Chose another hotel!!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank nazir

I am so sorry for your bad experience upon check-in; please accept my most sincere apologies. I very much understand your dissapointment and I agree that this is in no way Continental-like. I will certainly look into the matter with my new Front Office Manager and have the team re-trained. Thank you for letting us know. Sincerely, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed at ten hotels during our recent trip to Europe and the Continental was amongst the best. Its location is convenient, a short walk from the railway station in a reasonably quiet street. Our room was large, attractively decorated and very comfortable, with generous extras such as a coffee machine, high quality toiletries and bottled water supplied every day. The bathroom was luxurious with both a bath with shower and a separate shower, plus a separate toilet near the entry. On arrival there was a personal welcome note from the manager, a really nice touch. We found the staff pleasant and helpful. The only negative was the cost of breakfast – 32CHF for the sort of breakfast supplied free throughout Austria and Germany. Although cheaper options were available such as a CH22 light breakfast this did seem a lot even for a high cost destination like Switzerland. Even so, the high standard of the hotel meant we would have no hesitation in staying the Continental again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank twotuns

Many thanks for your lovely feedback on tripadvisor. I am most delighted you enjoyed memorable moments with us and I will gladly forward your compliments to my team.
It is a feedback like yours, that make us go the extra mile with joy every day. Thank you for having taken the time to post a compliment. Best regards, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed February 12, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Panny12
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel is very close to the Zurich Central Train Station (HB) so very easy to get to/from the airport and close to the main city attractions.

I was upgraded to a business room on arrival that had a nespresso coffee machine, english language channels, nice toiletries, big room and very comfy bed!

There is provision for free WiFi in the room of excellent reliability.

Overall excellent! I just wish the room TV was a bit larger...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Solo_Londoner

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. My team and I looking forward to your next stay with us. Best regards, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We booked into the Continental for a 4-day stay. It is a short walk from the station and quite easy to find. The front of the hotel is nothing special, but inside it is quite nice. The check-in staff were pleasant and efficient—though I found it odd that they felt the need to ask if my husband and I lived at the same address! There is a dispenser of Swiss apple juice in the lobby which was a nice touch.

Our superior room was perfectly clean and comfortable and we appreciated the king-sized bed which isn’t always easy to find in Europe. The room was simply furnished with pops of orange in the lamps and décor. There was a coffee maker in the room but my engineer husband attempted 4 times with the instructions and then practically dismantled it trying, unsuccessfully, to make a cup of coffee before he gave up. The shower had good pressure and lots of hot water, but had one of those half doors that let water spill on the floor. There was a nice little assortment of toiletries along with robes and slippers.

Our room faced an internal courtyard which was not pleasant. While we didn’t intend to spend a lot of time in our room, our only view was of other rooms 50 feet or so away. Also, smokers tended to come out into the courtyard and we’d have to get up and shut the windows because of the foul tobacco smoke. The room was very hot, though our heating was switched off, so we needed the windows open to avoid being baked in the room. Do be careful to ensure that your room does have a window that opens—some do not—as the heat in the rooms can be oppressive.

The buffet breakfast was certainly adequate, though the fare never changed from day to day. Eggs were undercooked (very runny scrambled eggs) and most food was cool, but things were nicely presented and there was a big variety of breads and cold dishes. The staff at breakfast always seemed harried to the point of abruptness. I don’t know if they are understaffed or overwhelmed, but getting a cup of tea in the morning required patience and persistence as staff rushed past—even if only one other table was occupied at the time!

There were loads of shops and restaurants a short walk away.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jMacL

Dear guests, thank you for having taken the time to write your feedback on tripadvisor. I will carefully look into your remarks regarding the breakfast service - and I agree - and of course also about the instructions for the Nespresso machine. For your inconveniences, I am very sorry and would like to express my sincere apologies. As to the room facing our inner courtyard, these are actually our most requested rooms, due to the quiet. But of course it is no trouble to accommodate you in another one upon your next stay, just let us know your preferences upon your reservation. Thank you again and best regards, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Conveniently located near train station (but far enough to give you a good night sleep), it took us less than 10 mins to walk to the hotel from train station.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with a friendly and professional young lady who check us in promptly. She even went as far as recommended us great restaurants for our lunch and dinner next day and made the booking on behalf of us.

We're staying in urban swiss standard queen room. The bedroom was nicely decorated with European style furniture. We felt really comfortable staying in our room. In addition, the mattress and pillow are also comfortable. Although the bathroom is small though, only 1 person at a time can fit in it.

The hotel has great buffet breakfast selection. Variety of bread, cereal, hot foods and fresh fruits. My favorite is one button push self making espresso machine. It's great way to start a day.

No problem on check out either, we were attended quickly and swiftly. Overall it's a great hotel to stay for holiday maker. If my wife and I are coming back to holiday in Zurich, we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Book room away from elevator if you light sleeper, you can hear the mechanical sound when the elevat...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charles C

It is very rewarding to receive a positive feedback for the entire team, thank you so much for having taken the time to post your memorable moments on tripadvisor. We look forward to your next stay with us. Sincerely, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli