“Very friendly, old-fashioned, lovely breakfast, very European”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #28 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Very friendly, old-fashioned, lovely breakfast, very European”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I was in Zurich on business and the hotel I usually stay at (the Marriott around the corner) was not available. This is not a great business hotel - no adapters, limited TV, not much closet space, no gym, difficult internet, etc. However, I tried to think of it like I was on a European adventure because it did make me feel like I was in Europe and I wished I was there for pleasure! The breakfast came to the room right on time in the morning with good coffee and an egg white omellette (not easy to find outside of the US!). The elevator was old and this could be charming (I took the stairs because it always took to long). You could tell that they were a highly rated hotel because they really tried to help, were at the ready with directions and maps and made my stay as enjoyable as possible. However, I continue to stay at the Marriott for better business facilities.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank expatkat
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for having taken the time to post your review on tripadvisor.I am so sorry to read that you will not stay with us for future stays.
Of course we do have adapters at the reception and our WIFI is working properly. We also have spacious rooms available but unfortunately no gym.
I hope you will reconsider your decision and we can welcome you in the near future.
Best regards, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
herts
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We only stayed here for one night and couldnt fault the hotel. The reception staff were very friendly and spoke excellent English. We arrived very early and expected to have to leave our luggage and return later in the day. Not so . They had 2 of the 4 rooms ready for us to check in which was a godsend, and had upgraded the singles to doubles.
We had breakfast included in the rate which was very good. Lots of cereals, breads, cold cuts and hot food. Enough to set you up for a day sightseeeing.
It is a 5 to 10 minute walk from the station, depending on how fast you walk. There is a tram stop nearby should you wish to use them. The transport system in Zurich is very good. We bought Zurich cards at the airport, which gave us unlimited travel on the train, tram and a short boat trip on Lake Zurich. The reception staff also recommend places to visit and the best transport to get there.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nuttymeg
Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor. I am delighted you enjoyed memorable moments with us and I'll gladly forward your feedback to my team. We look forward to your next visit.
Best regards, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just for a quick stay in Zurich, it is ideally located, 5 minutes from Central Station. Staff were friendly and efficient. My room was a bit small but not to complain. Tea and coffee set, good hair dryer, good bathroom kit. Free wifi (maybe for Accor member?) A touch of 'Suisse' pretty interior. Breakfast buffet can be improved though. All in all, it was good stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FlyingWakame
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will certainly forward your compliments to my team and I look forward to welcome you back soon. Best regards, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I like spending Christmas-time travelling and this time I had chosen Zürich. My criteria for selecting a good hotel are: location, good service and reasonable price (with good quality). MGallery has all those qualities. As someone else already said their beds are just excellent! My room ws spacious (single room) and the air-conditioning worked pretty well (both cooling and warming).

It was a bit weird that someone knocked on my door every evening just to check if I was there and everything was ok. Great thing was, they brought a small chocolate few times :) Breakfast was good and the late breakfast during weekends is an excellent idea!!

One evening my keycard didn´t work, but they solved it within a minute and when I came back downstairs to use a computer to print my flight-tickets, they didn´t charge me for that. All these little things made the visit very pleasant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Angelii
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you so much for having taken the time to post your review on tripadvisor. I'm most delighted you enjoyed such memorable moments with us I will certainly forward your compliments to my team and I look forward to welcome you back soon. Best regards, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Nice place,good location though a bit on the expensive side.They definitely need to hugely improve the room dining..I ate the worst pasta of my life there otherwise the room was a pleasant surprise as they had upgraded me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for having taken the time to post your review on tripadvisor.I am so sorry to read about your bad experience during your stay with us and I would like to express my most sincere apologies for your inconveniences. I will have a discussion with my Bar&Diner team in order to improve our food quality and preparation. We look forward to your next stay with us. Best regards, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli
Zurich
Reviewed January 14, 2013

High quality hotel in the middle of Zurich (walking distance to center). Check-in and check-out took a while but the bed was a dream. The room size is acceptable but the bathroom was quite small for a 4-5 stars hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Rouven L
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. My team and I looking forward to your next stay with us. Best regards, Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed January 9, 2013

On 28/11 I booked 2 nights in your hotel for December via Easybook but subsequently had to cancel due to other work commitments. I tried to change the name so that my colleague could take the booking, but was told that you would not change the name of the reservation (even though payment was via a company credit card) and I could not cancel, but could postpone the booking to another date, which I made for mid-January.
I am not visiting Zurich in mid-January, but my managing director is, so again I asked that a colleague use the room already paid for. I have now been informed that you are refusing to change the name to allow him to use the room AND you are refusing to refund to payment OR change the booking to another date when I can use it. As a result you have taken CHF518 but will not allow me at a later date or anyone else from my company to use this booking.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
11 Thank Tim C
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I am so sorry to read about your bad impression of our hotel. I understand that you are upset and I apologize for your inconveniences. Once I got your email in early January about your concern, I immediately tried to call you. Unfortunately, without success, but I talked to your secretary and informed her that we will certainly accept and make a name change. She gave me the new guest name and will inform me about the new travel dates. I am very sorry to hear now that this has not been passed on to you. Allow me to explain why this misunderstanding could have happened:
As you booked through a third party platform a non-changeable, non-refundable, prepaid rate, it is the same procedure as with any other travel agency: all reservation changes need to be handled through them (we cannot amend a contract that is not done with us). One of many reasons we highly recommend to book directly with hotels, particularly since we have a best price guarantee.
It goes without saying though that the attitude from our employee is unacceptable and this will not go without action.
Once again, I am very sorry and I hope you do accept my sincere apology.
I am looking forward to welcome your guest in the near future. With best regards Carsten Rohde for Monica Voegeli