“Great location near train”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #34 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Excellent hotel if travelling by train. 7 min. walk with luggage is easy. Helpful staff. Only a 10 min. walk to the old city, restaurants, best shopping. Loved the fresh apple juice. Breakfast options are not included but a very good buy for Zurich prices.

Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Grüezi & thank you for your compliments! Happy to see that you savoured our apple juice and liked our various breakfast offers. Hope to welcome you back soon. Sincerely, Monica Voegeli

There are newer reviews for Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We started our weeklong Swiss Pass trip in Zurich and were trully amazed by our hotel selection. The staff at the Hotel Continental was remarkably friendly and helpful, which made our stay delightful. The bed was the best bed during my entire stay in Switzerland!!! I had the best sleep and wanted to take the bed home with me.

It was conveniently located close to the main train station and the old city.

The higlight of my stay was the fresh apple juice right next to the elevator. I would have a glass everytime i passed it.

Room Tip: Don't forget to have the apple juice!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you for reviewing us on tripadvisor. I am most delighted you had such a wonderful sleep in our MGallery beds (I agree, they're super comfy) and that you enjoyed our farmer Grimm's apple juice. Of course I will forward your compliments to my team. Thank you and best regards, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed June 24, 2012

After spending a week in the suburbs of Zurich I decided to head downtown, and ended up picking the Hotel Continental. It was conveniently located close to the train station, although there doesn't seem to be much in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

At the same time, it's a quick 10-minute walk to the old city - or around 5 minutes to the downtown train station.

Upon arrival I was warmly greeted, and despite arriving prior to the posted check-in time I was immediately given a room. As a single traveler the room was very small - about half the width of a standard room - with the bed facing the window and not much room beside it. It was more than sufficient for my purposes though.

Not having become accustomed to European hotels, I couldn't turn on the power at first, and after 30 minutes finally called down to the front desk who explained that I had to put my room card in a slot for it to work.

Remote on the TV was non-functional at first, but they quickly replaced it for me. Check-out was a breeze as well.

Highly recommend this for anyone needing a quick stop-over spot in Zurich!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Jeff R
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and really sorry about your troubles with the electricity and remote control. Thank you for the tip though, we'll make sure to inform our guests from far away about the central electricity plug.
Best wishes, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We booked after reading reviews here, thanks to all reviewers! We did not regret and were also lucky to receive a free upgrade to suite, thank you Continental!

Our daughter loved the fresh apple juice right next to the elevator, she never missed a glass on the way up to our room (and down!), nice touch. Although suite was facing the main street with trams, it was quiet. Spotlessly clean, 5 minutes walk to main train station with tram stop 200m from the entrance. Shopping can be done in the COOP on the side of train station. I always buy lot of Evian and Pellegrino, so cheap in Switzerland...

I missed a gym but did my research and went for a jog along the river early in the morning, just cross the road take the stairs down and turn right along the river, you can run for miles.

And yes I believe the friendly, professional staff make this hotel what it is and stand above the rest! Well done guys!

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sneaky_Nuts
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank YOU for having chosen Hotel Continental Zurich and also for posting this lovely feedback on tripadvisor. It makes all our daily efforts worth while and I will certainly have my fabulous team read your compliments. Best regards, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed June 20, 2012

The staff at the Hotel Continental is remarkably friendly and helpful, which truly made the difference. For Zurich, the hotel offered a decent value and given its affiliation with Accor it was a nice perk to earn loyalty rewards without feeling that you were staying at a traditional chain hotel. My room, while not large, was quiet and comfortable and I enjoyed the convenience of being able to walk to the central train station. Would certainly stay again

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Gruezi and thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor. I will certainly forward your compliments to my wonderful team. Best regards, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We chose this hotel after consulting TripAdvisor reviews and were delighted with our two night stay. Thehotel is easily walkable from the railway station and therefore also very handy for city centre sights.

A really pleasant lobby enhanced by a a constant and free suply of fresh apple juice which was very welcome several times as Zurich was very hot during our stay.

The staff are as pleasant and helpful as we have have encountered anywhere. They lent us a plug adaptor, gave us a late check out free of charge and dispensed plenty of good advice about restaurants and city travel.
The rooms are on the small side and the bathroom particularly bijou. However it was very quiet and had a comfy bed. You get free internet which is a big plus.

We did not use the restaurant however we saw several meals being served and this looked fine. There is a comfortable bar with good service. One tiny grumble is that if you order a coffee it is a Nespresso and advertised as such on the menu. Hotels are starting to 'franchise out' their coffee service to multi national outfits no doubt for a good price. This seems to me to bring the product down to a motorway service station level and is not acceptable. A personal view but Nespresso is rubbish. Why spoil the ambience with such overt marketting.

Overal however an excellent hotel

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2012

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on tripadvisor. I am delighted you had such a memorable stay with us and I will happily forward your compliments to my team. Of course I have also noted your remarks regarding the coffee and I am very surprised as Nespresso is known as the Rolls Royce in the coffee sector and accordingly available in most first class hotels. Buf of course, like all the good things in life, it all comes down to personal taste and I have duly noted your comment on it. Thank you again and best regards, Monica Voegeli

Reviewed June 18, 2012