“Highly recommended” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

Very good hotel, especially for the price, since Zurich hotels seem to be severely overpriced. Basic room is relatively small, but the quality of the bed makes up for it. Not the most central location, but still only 5 minutes by foot from downtown. The service on arrival and on departure was excellent. Have not checked the bar or the restaurant. Nothing fancy, but exceeded expectations and is highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Farnham, Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stopped off in Zurich for two nights and stayed at this hotel. It was very comfortable and the staff excellent. We were upgraded to a superior room which was wonderful. The shower was very good, something I regard as very important.

There is only one negative note: because breakfast starts early during the week, we were awoken by someone removing the plastic coverings off the garden furniture at 6am. Maybe we shouldn't have had our window open and we were overlooking the garden but still...it was annoying when we were on holiday.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, May 13, 2011
Dear "orak100", thank you so much for your lovely review. I am truly sorry about the misshap of our crew at 6am and very much agree that this is much too early. Thank you for letting me know and please accept my sincerest apologies. My team and I look forward to welcome you back again. Best regards from Zurich, Monica Voegeli
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

Despite what Rick Stevens might stay we felt Zurich was definitely worth more than one day and our recommendation would be to stay at the Hotel Continental - close to the station and less than 5 minutes walk from the many bars and restaurants in downtown.

A pleasant lobby, comfortable bed, attractive room but best of all the most polite and helpful desk staff we have meet in any hotel.

Not a cheap stay - do buy the Zurich card at reception as it is probably the only bargin you will find - but highly recommended

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, May 4, 2011
Dear guests
Many thanks for your fabulous feedback on tripadvisor.com.
Obviously you liked Zurich and my team & I look forward to welcome you back again.
Best regards, Monica
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

This is a great hotel - close to everything by foot, very comfortable and outstanding service. The beds are sublime, and the rates when I stayed were amongst the best in Zurich. The rooms are small, but well appointed - normal size for Europe. An excellent hotel.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank McAliente
Monroe Township, Middlesex County, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2011

Our flight from the U.S. was an overnight which brought us into Zurich at 8:30 in the morning. When we arrived at the hotel which was approximately 1/2 hour from the airport, our room wasn't ready. To accommodate us, they upgraded us to a suite at no extra cost to us for our 4 night stay. We went up to have breakfast and by the time we were finished, our suite was ready. The staff at the hotel go above and beyond to help resolve any issues or answer any questions you may have. They have all the patience and you never feel rushed because someone is waiting on line behind you. Any tours you may want to book, recommendations for restaurants, or suggestions you are seeking are handled at the front desk. I can't say enough about the friendliness of every single staff member at the hotel.

The room we had was very clean and comfortable. I particularly loved the bed. I always look to stay in places with comfortable beds and this is one of the most comfortable beds I have every slept in. I slept a few hours more each night then I normally do at home and I believe it was the great bed. I also loved the shower. It had a spray handle as well as a shower head with separate message settings. The spray handle sits on a holder lower then the shower head so if you don't want to get your hair wet, you can shower under that. The water pressure and temperature was perfect. They also had a big soaking tub on the other side of the bathroom. The outlets in the rooms are different from the United States so we needed to ask for adapters to plug in our electronic devices which the hotel was glad to supply. They have a mini-coffee bar in the room which is well stocked at all times. I also liked that they would place a bottle of water on each night stand every night when they came into turn down the beds. They have the big comfortable hotel towels and they give you bathrobes and slippers as well. The bedroom had the black out shades so if you want to sleep in, the sun wouldn't be a problem in the morning. We had two flat screen televisions. Most of the channels were in the German language but there were a few in English. The room was spacious and a perfect size for our needs.

Our deal included a breakfast buffet each morning or room service. They would leave two menus on the bed each day and you can check off what you want and place it outside on the door handle before you go to bed. Breakfast was pricey, but so was everything in Zurich. It was $42 SF per person. The breakfast buffet would start at 7:30 and room service at 6:00 which worked out well for us the day we left because we had an early flight home. The buffet was the same everyday. You could also order an style eggs you want from the kitchen. At first I was hoping the buffet would be different each day, but then I found a few items I really liked and didn't mind the repetitiveness. Overall, the buffet appealed to me because there were many healthy items to choose from such as raw vegetables with dip, fruit and cottage cheese, various yogurt flavors (one in particular was their freshly made healthy yogurt mix which was delicious), they had a few healthy cold cereals (no oatmeal), a bread stand, a small variety of meats and cheeses and small individual plates of smoked salmon each morning. They have a good variety of juices (vitamin mix was my favorite), coffee or cappuccino. They also had about five or six hot dishes such as beans, scrambled eggs, cooked tomatoes with cheese, sausage, and a few other items.

The location of the hotel was pretty convenient. It was only a few minute walk to downtown Zurich. I would say under 10 minutes. If you didn't want to walk they have a tram half way up the block from the hotel.

My only disappoint with the hotel was that they did not have a fitness center. If you wanted to exercise, there was a facility down at Central Station (under 10 mins.) which you didn't have to be a member to use and would cost $25 SF per day. I did not end up working out at the fitness center they recommend, but did end up getting plenty of walking exercise in the couple of days we were there. I saw a lot of people jogging around the city as well.

What I would finally like to add about the Hotel Continental is that it is a small, quiet, and very comfortable and cozy hotel. On the first floor you will find a beautiful bar area with great chairs and couches to relax on. I also loved all the wood work though out the entire hotel. I would definitely stay there again without hesitation if I ever come back to Zurich.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Continental-GM, General Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, April 20, 2011
Dear Mr. Gaffrey
Thank you so much for your conclusive and lovely review on tripadvisor.com. Your commitment is very much appreciated. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Continental Zurich experience and will definately let my staff know about your compliments. As it is the details that made your stay memorable, it is the details in a positive guest feedback that makes our days.
Thank you so much and my staff and I look forward to welcome you back again soon.
Warmest regards, Monica Voegeli & team