“Excellent”

Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel
Ranked #33 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The experience of staying in this hotel was so good. The hotel staffs were so kind enough to answer all our questions with no hurry. The rooms were neat and great. I highly recommend this place for a safe and an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was surprised at last reviewer's review because my experience here has been overwhelmingly positive! We too stay here regularly for points but why not? Everything is top service. Staff cater to your every need and it's one block from tram AND train from airport! The tram service is Zurich is unlike any I've known and I live in Chicago and travel quite frequently to cities all over us and Europe. Very impressive! The rooms and clean, modern and spacious! Not a single complaint well restaurant prices are very high but there are restaurants close by that are wonderful at a fraction of the cost. We will continue to stay here... Remember it is the tower not the other one in case you are looking it up on another site.

Room Tip: No swimming pool but there is a sauna and fitness center!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spinto74
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I recently spent one night at the Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel while on vacation in Switzerland. It was our last stop for a quick day in Zurich to sightsee before heading to the Airport the following morning.

I have several issues with this hotel that are worth mentioning, but first, the basics. The room I received was a king room on the club floor. The room was smaller than I had expected - a little on the tight side. The bathroom is separated into two sections - a dual-door sink/shower section, and a separate closet for the toilet (with mini sink). Seems like a waste to me - I would have rather had more room to move in the bedroom area rather than to have those two divided.

I chose this hotel because it seemed like a decent value, and it was a hot week and we wanted air conditioning. We chose the club floor so that we could score some food in the lounge, and relax and be treated a little better.

First, the air conditioning was barely adequate. Yes, it's Switzerland, and most places don't have it - but if you're in a high-rise hotel with windows that don't open - it better work well, and it didn't.

Second, though we did leverage the club lounge, when we went for breakfast in the morning, they had clearly rented it out to another group that had what looked like 50 people meeting in it - we didn't feel welcome - there wasn't any place to relax and sit (you couldn't get near the window), and we felt like intruders. I really feel like we were ripped off since we paid extra to have access to that space, and the hotel used it for another function.

Third, the internet was awful. In our room, we barely had reception on any of our wireless devices, and it was slow.

There are two other things worth mentioning. When we checked in, the clerk at the desk said "I'm going to upgrade you to a junior suite", which really excited us - until after about 15 seconds he said "Oops, that looks like it was given away". Seems to me that basic training for a front desk clerk would be not to announce something like that until its definite... was in bad taste if you ask me. The other thing worth mentioning is that we had dinner in the lobby restaurant, that was quite a fine establishment, except for the overly rushed service by the maitre d' - who felt the need to rush us through the service despite open tables and no apparent need to... that was a shame.

For those of you wondering about staying here while in town on vacation - note that the hotel is seriously off the beaten path. You can take the #4 tram and get to it fairly easily from the main train station if you're comfortable using foreign public transit (we see that as an adventure), and if you're someone who likes to walk (we did), there is also another train station that is two blocks away that will get you to the airport in a whopping 8 minutes, which was convenient. Just be aware that you are staying in an industrial / business district, and not a walking / tourism area.

I would have liked this hotel much more if they polished themselves up a bit - but the false promise from the start, the disappointment with the lounge, and a few of the other small issues just left a bad taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the club level... you don't have any guarantee that you will really be abl...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PlatinumStrider
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here because of wanting to use Marriott points and were not disappointed, we were greeted by a knowledgeable and enthusiastic member of staff who gave us a full overview of where to go and what travel routes to take into the centre of the city. We also got a complementary upgrade to a junior suite with access to the business lounge which was perfect after a 10 hour road trip!Unlike other reviews we were told of a number of places to eat within 5 minutes walk and also the route into town via tram takes about 15 minutes and cost about €8.40 for a 24 hour tram pass. Should we ever go back to Zurich then this is where we will stay!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Clean and very nice, modern...typical new Swiss City style hotel quite near to some good bars and restaurants. Did not eat there but have heard good reports from fellow colleagues. Shower and bathroom was brand new I think and my colleague said the same. We would definitely stay here again but only for business because there are more traditional hotels in the Old City. Great stay plus it was 32 degrees with people swimming in the river!!!!!!!

Room Tip: View towards City
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We booked this hotel with Marriott Rewards Points - so we stay with Marriott a lot (or did). We chose it because we had a 7:30am international flight and wanted everything to run as smooth as possible. First we arrive after our scheduled arrival and our room was not ready. They did not tell us this at reception so we walked in on the maid. She had us wait outside until she was done. We (my husband, myself and our 6 year old daughter) had 5 large bags plus 6 pieces of carry on so they had one bellboy come to get our luggage on 2 separate carts. He showed us into the elevator however, he came up several minutes later with only one cart of luggage. The manager says they are not allowed to ride up with guests. He unloads our bags once we are inside the room; goes downstairs and returns with our second set of luggage. On top of our luggage was a bag that contained my brand new purse. The purse never made it to our room. I did not realize this till we got home. The Hotel has video of the purse on the cart- but that is it. So they have proof it was put on the cart from the car but not to our room. They are not going to do anything about the fact that either someone stole my purse while it was left alone on the cart or it fell off the cart and the bellboy did not count the luggage to make sure he brought everything up. Either way, Guests should be able to trust that ALL their luggage will be brought safely to their room. In addition, we asked for a 5am wake up call and for a cab (big enough to carry all the luggage) be waiting at 5:20am. Luckily, I had set my phone alarm because they NEVER called! I went downstairs to see if they had also forgot to call a cab. They had NOT arranged a cab. By the time a new cab was called, we were 30 minutes late and almost were not allowed to board. They are aware of all the issues and do not care. My husband has banned his company's employees from staying at this hotel. As a side note: The purse was 239chf so I am not asking them to find a 10,000.00 Birkin bag with 20k in cash. Oh and yes it is in a bad area of town. Forget about taking the train because you can not see the Hotel from the train station. Outside is a smoker's paradise.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank whatever2134
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Booked this hotel for 4 of us adults. We love the spacious clean room with update furnishing and great amenities. It was worthwhile getting the executive club lounge package which include breakfast at the lounge and the wifi in the room. The lounge has wide range of different hot & cold beverages which were awesome for the hot summer days. There is a gym and a sauna room next to the executive lounge. Gym was very well used and can be crowded with business executive in the morning before working hours. All equipment in gym and sauna seem new and well maintain.

Location: it is 5-8 mins walk to the train station which is one stop away from the main Zurich train station. There is a good walking path along the main road which is next to the Ibis hotel. Freitag store are and Coop supermarket (small version) are located near the train station. There is also a tram (no. 4) along the main road which also take you to the Zurich main station in about 12 mins. On arrival, we took the comfortable airport shuttle bus known as "check in shuttle bus" which runs every 30 mins. It cost only 49 CHF for 3 of us with 3 pieces of big luggage. Check the information on the hotel website for detail. It is not the Renaissance hotel bus but serve several other hotels as well.

Stayed: June 2013