“Good hotel next to a necessary tram”

Renaissance Zurich Tower Hotel
Ranked #33 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is a smart, modern hotel with very nice and comfortable rooms. It also has good conference facitlities which we used and both a good restaurant and lounge bar. We enjoyed our stay but would caution intending visitors that the hotel is in the midst of a reclaimed industrial area that has some way to go before being finished. The only downside to this we encountered was that you need to use the nearby tram to get to most of the places you will want to explore. But tram tickets are available at reception. Switzerland is expensive, so we thought the hotel prices were good value for the quality offered.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here for a few nights in early November.

Located about 10-15mins walk from the city centre and a 20min cab ride from the airport the hotel is well placed for business and vacation travellers. Tucked away off of the main street the hotel has a simple but well presented lobby, bar and restaurant.

Rooms are modern, very clean, wifi (although you have to pay) and beds are comfortable.

This is not a five star hotel nor is it luxury, it is however a very good 3 star or standard 4 star. Service was fine with no problems checking in at all.

I'd recommend if you want a hassle free stay with good value for money (you'll need to shop around as rates vary greatly)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Hotel is close to the Hardbruecke train station, which makes the location convenient. There is nothing interesting in the area and there is a construction going on any side of the hotel.
If you take a shortcut, be careful of ongoing demolition, it looks like everyone is taking this path anyway toward station.

Room I had was large enough and I had some Bulgary toiletries, perhaps it depends on the status ? I got nice corner room with windows on both sides. The room has a modern design, but lacks some elements - for instance mini carpet on either side of the bad was really worn out and made bad impression of quality - it's minor thing, but it just did not match the decor. Some fitting of the photo above the bad was hanging, like it was almost falling down.
It looks like heating did not work correctly, as temperature control did not seem to take effect.

The lounge seemed to be understocked for the number of guest there. The cook? was bringing the items, but they could be gone literally in a minute. Breakfast was better, with decent selection, however I used it at late hour.
Overall it's OK, but don't expect Renaissance level.

1  Thank --Roman_PA--
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Hi, I visit Zurich quite alot, most for transit and short stays but I've probably been to most hotels in Zurich. Renaissance Tower is now my new favorite amongst all of Zurich hotels.
The Main reason to this is probably the lobby bar/lounge and DJ atmosphere. But, there were many more strong point to this hotel. Its typical design and colors of Renaissance hotels are apparent but in a more modernistic look. The food is acceptable though some staff could use more experience. As for the rooms, they are good especially the nice shower, but the toilet is in seperate tiny room (not more than a meter square) with its own tiny sink. The bed is second best in my opinion to Marriott Zurich. The conference room are simply amazing and kinda hi-tech.
Althought you would skratch your head if it was a five star or a four star, its an ok 'european' 5 star, if you know what I mean, which is not as luxurious as you might think, thats partly why I didn't give it an excellent rating.
The location isn't bad at all as other reviewers are saying. It just several stops by tram to Hauptbahnhof. And if you'd try walking to Hauptbahnhof, its only 15-20 minutes maximum. I must say the newly developing area of the hotel is looking to be like a great place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Nofs
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel is quite new, the rooms are nice, clean and very modern with good internet service and the a large widescreen TV. I would have liked to have the ability to connect more than one device at a time for wireless internet as I tend to forget to disconnect when leaving the room. Location seemed a bit far from down town and not very pretty but easily accessible in a short time by tram nearby. I was there for a conference and I think most people would stay there for similar reasons. I stayed at Opera Hotel before the conference and can highly recommend that if you are looking for a small boutique hotel rather than this large busy modern hotel but still this was a good hotel for the business traveller and a god place to hold a conference or business meetings. friendly staff.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The best thing was the price. Don't pay the hotel website price, you may feel cheated.

Check-in was relatively smooth, as expected I was told internet would be 30 chf for 24 hours which is not what one would expect from a supposedly 5 star establishment (especially when you can realistically use a maximum of 21 hours) check in is at 3 pm and checkout is a 12pm.

My second disappointment was to be told that I couldn't eat at the restaurant because there was a corporate event taking place that evening. After a long travel I was looking forward to sampling the highly rated cuisine and had purposely not purchased anything from the fast food places at Zurich train station. I was offered to be served dinner in the bar area but declined as the seats were very low and for lounging rather than a 3 course meal.

The room itself was clean and spacious. Separate toilet much appreciated. Shower a bit basic for a 5 star hotel. I did ask for a room on the opposite side of the construction but was given a room facing the constructions.

Amenities were lacking. I had forgotten my toothbrush and called room service to have one brought up because unlike most good hotels, amenities were not in full supply. The toothbrush came without toothpaste. I called again but not before noticing the supply cart highlighting that some guests are given Bulgari amenities and others standard. Some are given mouthwash, and other luxuries. There were also no slippers, or bathrobe in the room.

Room service - food arrived significantly quicker than the non-food items. Should I be worried?
The "pot" of tea arrived without milk. When asked if I would like hot or cold milk sent up, I requested cold, so of course hot milk arrived. The "pot" of tea did not even fill the cup unfortunately.

Minibar was empty except for 2 bottles of complimentary water. Why then was I asked to secure $50 dollars on my credit card at check-in?

The staff in the restaurant at breakfast were very friendly. Although as soon as I sat down the buffet breakfast was being cleared away. The kind waitress asked me if I wanted anything else but I felt a little rushed as everything clattered around me. If your breakfast is not included it is likely to set you back $35 per person. Expensive?

Overall I love Zurich. I new this hotel would not be in the centre but I needed to work on a business matter and knew the hotel would have the facilities I needed but I would probably not stay again. Breakfast and internet are overpriced.

1  Thank swiss_voyager83
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My overall rating would not be so low except that the hotel markets itself as luxury. I stayed here for two weeks and can assure you it does not meet the definition of a luxury hotel. Instead, it is an adequate business hotel.

Rooms: I was 'upgraded' to a better room on the top (15th) floor on the non-construction side of the hotel. The view wasn't that great, so it's not obvious to me that you need to follow everyone's advice and stay on that side of the hotel. The room was really small, and the bed was terrible. I could actually feel the metal! The bathrobes were scratchy, and the towels were a dingy grey. While the toiletries were Bulgari, they were packaged cheaply and didn't feel luxurious.

Service: With one exception, most of the front desk staff were efficient, although not terribly friendly. It was the cleaning staff that really bothered me. No turndown service is offered, and they do nothing other than make the bed. For example, I twice left the iron and ironing board out. They put it up neither time. More puzzlingly, I returned at 21:00 on a Saturday night to find a note saying, "Sorry, we couldn't clean your room", although I left at noon that day. When I told the hotel manager, he assured me he would take care of it immediately. Twenty minutes later, after the manager assured me it was cleaned, I went up to find they hadn't even started! When the ladies finally left, they hadn't cleaned any of the water glasses or tea cups by the bed. It was gross.

Food: I only ate in the hotel one evening. The food was very good. In terms of the food options around the hotel, they are mostly fast food. Ugh. There is, however, one place called "Les Halles" that I really enjoyed.

Location: Terrible. The 'it's only 10 minutes from the city' is very deceptive. It takes a minute or two to walk to the tram. Trams arrive every 7 minutes or so, so you wait another few minutes for that. It's a 13 minute tram ride to the main station; however, there's nothing to see there, which means you need to transfer to another tram to actually arrive at your destination. All told, I had a 25 minute commute to my office in the main part of Zurich.

I am returning to Zurich in a few weeks and have already booked elsewhere. I suggest you do, too.

2  Thank Kelli H