“An English opinion - OK”

Restaurant Friedbrunnen
Ranked #631 of 1,946 Restaurants in Zurich
Worthing, United Kingdom
“An English opinion - OK”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Here's an English review from an expat, currently living about 1km from this restaurant.

My friend and I went searching for a decent eatery which was open on 1st August, Swiss National Day, and were disappointed to find our first choice (a recommendation from a colleague) was closed. Accordingly, we took the #3 tram back to Albisrieden with few expectations of finding anything at 8pm but, to our surprise, not only was this place open but it was not full. The owner was jovial and quizzed us on our knowledge of various languages (intimating he was fluent in each: German, Italian, French, English, Spanish).

We chose a table on the marquis-covered patio, so we could smoke, and eagerly surveyed our fellow diners' choices. Pizzas seemed to be popular, so I chose the Hawaiian while my partner plumped for a spicy meat affair, which was served with additional chillis in oil. We shared a green salad as a starter.

All in all, it was quite good - nothing special, but above average, in the authentic Italian thin style. The salad was fresh although nothing exceptional to fire the imagination. For the price, it was reasonable value for Zürich (weighing in much cheaper than city centre places). The bill for two including drinks was CHF60 although we skipped dessert and coffee, on this occasion.

The décor was pleasant enough although I found the metal chairs a little narrow and uncomfortable, Service was "relaxed" and it took a good 10 minutes from asking for the bill for it to appear. I'd go again if I had guests but it's only a run-of-the-mill Swiss-Italian with the odd local dish on offer.

• Visited August 2011