The Dolder Grand
Hotel Hottingen(Zurich)
  • Fitness center
Hotel NI-MO(Zurich)
1,133 results
All reviewsspa wingsnow roomart collectionnew wingoutdoor jacuzzihigh techamazing sparemote controlamazing hoteljunior suiteconcierge servicemain buildingsteam roomfavorite hotelzurich lakemodern roomscity centre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I've been in this hotel for two nights for a business trip and my experience was excellent.
The hotel is very suggestive and it looks like a castle. The interiors are well kept and comfortable. There is a very nice spa and great. The breakfast is great. The drink is served in a heated terrace with magnificent views.
The only negatives are that the hotel is far from the center and that the extras are expensive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Colette B
Managing_DirectorTDR, Manager at The Dolder Grand, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear Madam

Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Dolder Grand and your kind message.
We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable time during your stay and that you particularly appreciated our breakfast as well as the Dolder Grand Spa.

Concerning the location of the hotel we wish to inform you that the Dolder Grand can be reached easily using public transport. Furthermore a Hotel shuttle bus service runs regularly during the day, taking guests to the city centre free of charge within 15 minutes.

We truly hope to welcome you back to the Dolder Grand in the near future and wish you all the best.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Instead of driving to the hotel we elected to take the fenicular railway up to the top. A cool way to start the weekend away with some old world rail. It is great to find this railway still alive and well in Zurich.

We were met warmly by the reception team and then taken to the room and had a mini tour of the hotel. We were in the main building (the original part of the hotel) and pleased to be in this section. The rooms have all been renovated and look great. Our room had a view over the golf course and across to the lake. It was a bit rainy so the view was not as spectacular as it could be - not the hotel's fault!! The room still had some older style furniture mixed with modern technology.

Speaking of the technology, the team were very proud to show the B&O remote control for the TV, lighting, air-con and shutters. Sadly we could only get it to work for the TV even when we got the correct menus we could not get the room to do anything!! We did report this to reception at checkout. No big deal, we have two arms and two legs so could get up to turn the lights off!

Bathroom was a great size and white tiles on the wall and black on the floor. A lovely claw foot bath was in one corner with a lovely range of bath salts. Special mention to the amenities which were divine. Also the shower has more nozzles and outlets than I knew what to do with but I have to say it was a great shower.

We also spent some time in the pool and spa area. There are three jacuzzis outside of different temperatures which was pretty neat in the rain. The pool is also great and heated to 29 degrees. Spa area has a sauna, steam room and various whirlpools (with very little whirl) which is very tranquil and highly recommended.

We had dinner in "The Restaurant" which was very nice but pretty creative - I had to skip three of the twelve courses in the tasting menu as it was just too much for me. Staff were attentive and professional and essentially you get what you would expect from a two Michelin Star restaurant.

Breakfast was a little disappointing. It is served in the Garden Restaurant which I have to say has some of the worst acoustics of a restaurant. It was only about half full yet very loud. You had to shout to talk to the person next to you which did not help the situation at all! Please get in a decent acoustical engineer! The food was fine but nothing spectacular. It is all served at your table which is quite nice. Be warned, on a Sunday, you must be finished breakfast by about 11:00 am as they set up for brunch. If you are not done they offer for you to finish the breakfast in the lobby bar.

We had a couple of strange issues. First, turndown was only done on one side of the bed when there were two people checked into the room. Second (and very strangely) we had a muslim prayer rug and compass delivered to the room. Not strange if you had requested it which we had not. We mentioned it to concierge who also thought it odd but then managed to do nothing about it after confirming he would contact housekeeping and offered us some fruit (which we had anyway). I did suggest champagne but that was going too far. Again, we mentioned these at check out and they could offer no explanation.

I would stay again for the spa and the beautiful rooms.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wockinwod
Managing_DirectorTDR, Manager at The Dolder Grand, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear Sir

Thank you for sharing your insightful comments with us and for your recent stay at the Dolder Grand. We really appreciate that you took the time to express your views in such a detailed way.

First of all, we are delighted to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations regarding the friendly check-in and the interior of your hotel room. Concerning the remote control, our staff are trained to give you a full briefing on how to use the control pad when you are shown to your room. We apologize that it did not work as expected and wish to inform you that we are set to launch an improved technical solution for the remote control in our rooms soon.

Furthermore we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Dolder Grand Spa and that your dinner at The Restaurant was to your liking although you had to skip some courses. Please rest assured that I will forward your encouraging words to my employees, since they are a great motivation and help us to continue in the same direction and to carry out our daily services with enthusiasm and joy.

Concerning the negative experience at our Garden Restaurant we truly regret that the overall performance including atmosphere and served dishes was not what you had expected. Please rest assured that we have taken your comments on board as your feedback is of course valuable to us. On Sunday morning from 10.45am we usually recommend our guests to have breakfast in the Lobby so that they can enjoy a peaceful breakfast in a relaxing environment. All kinds of breakfast dishes are served there too. As brunch is offered at the Garden Restaurant on Sunday, we have to close breakfast punctually in order to prepare for it.

Finally we wish to apologize for the unfavourable impression the inappropriate room set up due to a misunderstanding left. I agree that effective communication is crucial and that you should expect us to pay more attention to detail.

Hoping that this experience has not permanently marred your opinion about the Dolder Grand we truly hope to welcome you back to the Dolder Grand in the near future.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at the Dolder Grande since the early 1960's. I now live in the states and my life is very different from my childhood, but the Dolder epitomized the most elegant of the old world 'Grande Dames' and a culture of nobility that is disappearing in today's world. When I went online and saw the dreadful "renovations" I burst into tears. It is just ghastly! Cold, ugly, bizarre - reminded me of the modernist efforts of the early 60's from the wannabes trying too hard to be hip and trendy. My heart is broken that some idiot deliberately murdered something so beautiful, elegant, and timeless.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank redshoes53

Dear Madam

Thank you for taking the time to write to us to share your thoughts and feelings.

We were, naturally, disappointed to read of your reaction to seeing pictures of the Dolder Grand online, and understand that you have strong feelings of nostalgia attached to the hotel.

The aim of the renovations was to restore the hotel's original appearance from 1899, while at the same time returning the hotel to its origins-those of a luxurious spa resort. The opportunity was also taken to add two new wings, adjacent to the original building, with the design being led by Foster + Partners. While the new wings may be controversial in design, and perhaps not to everyone's taste, they are certainly contemporary, and help us meet the ever increasing demand for our services and facilities in the 21st century.

The Dolder Grand still retains its iconic spires and facade, and still has the elegance and beauty you remember, as well as its unique location overlooking the Lake of Zürich, with views extending to the Alps. These aspects shall always be timeless. Through the renovation we sought to combine the old with the new, the classic with the contemporary, and in this respect we feel we have succeeded.

Another quality we have preserved is our exceptional service, with staff who work tirelessly to ensure that you have a wonderful stay here. It is in this that the culture of nobility and the spirit of the «Grand Dame» lives on. We do hope that at some point in the not too distant future you give us the pleasure of proving this to you.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Only a few traces of the elegant old Dolder Grand remain -- the towers and turrets, the chandeliers, the wonderful clock, the lovely Library. The hotel has added sleek, modern wings and sleek, modern rooms equipped with every imaginable luxury -- marble bathrooms with spa showers and freestanding bathtubs -- a gorgeous swimming pool and a luxurious spa -- all in a fantastic location high up on a hill overlooking the city, the mountains, and the lake.

The hotel's Garden Restaurant is pleasant when it's sunny and you can sit outside on the terrace, but dismal if it rains, or at night, when it has all the charm of an airport lounge -- and food to match. Nothing seems fresh and delicious. Better to enjoy the views, the pool, the spa, the glamorous bar -- and take the long taxi ride into town to dine at one of Zurich's many fine restaurants.

It's so much fun to return to the Dolder Grand at night, seeing it in the distance, high up on the hill, its towers and turrets lit up like an enchanted palace in a fairy tale.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Managing_DirectorTDR, Manager at The Dolder Grand, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Madam

Many thanks for passing on your valuable thoughts and for your recent stay at the Dolder Grand.

We really appreciate that you took the time to record your experience in such a detailed way and are delighted to hear that we were able to fulfil your expectations regarding architecture and interior design of the hotel as well as the view.

Concerning the frustrating experience at our Garden Restaurant we truly regret that the overall performance including atmosphere and served dishes was not what you had expected. The unsatisfactory points that you address in your comments have been reviewed and we wish to apologize for any inconvenience they may have caused. Please rest assured that we are serving light, European cuisine and modern Swiss interpretations in our Garden Restaurant which are freshly prepared.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Dolder Grand in the near future and have the opportunity to show you that even dining with us is an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I would not normally consider paying the prices charged by the Dolder Grand, but on the night I stayed it was the only hotel for 50 miles that still had rooms available. However, if your budget extends to this hotel and you want over-the-top luxury, then this is afascinating blend of the old and the modern.

The bedroom was spacious, though I would not call it large. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet (and spotlessly clean of course). My only complaint would be the Ipod-like hand held device that controlled the TV, dimmed the room lights and who knows what else.I found it difficult to figure out and could not put the TV on in the morning until I had woken up enough to put on the lights and my spectacles to read the small display.

The bathroom was almost as large as the bedroom with luxurious touches everywhere, especially the multiple nozzles through which the shower water could be delivered.

The piano bar was very comfortable and I was very impressed that my efforts to read a magazine in the semi-darkness were noticed by the barman, who then brought over a small LED light by which I could read - a nice touch I have never seen anywgere else.

The check-in staff and those at the concierge desk were all extremely polite and helpful.

If I ever want to take my wife for a few days of luxury, I would certainly consider the Dolder Grand, but it will remain well betond my normal budget for business travel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Merciaman

Dear Sir

Thank you very much for giving us your insightful remarks and for your unexpected stay at the Dolder Grand.

We really appreciate that you took the time to express your views in such a detailed way and are delighted to read that the interior design of the hotel rooms was to your liking. Concerning the remote control, I agree that an explanation on arrival is vitally important. Our staff are trained to give you a full briefing on how to use the control pad when you are shown to your room. If this was not the case, we do sincerely apologize. We wish to inform you that we are set to launch an improved technical solution for the remote control in our rooms.

Please rest assured that I will forward your encouraging words to our Dolder Grand Bar Team as well as to the Concierge and Front Desk staff, since they are a great motivation and help us to continue in the same direction and to perform our daily services joyfully and with enthusiasm.

We truly hope to welcome you back to the Dolder Grand on a future occasion and would be pleased if your wife would join you.

Your sincerely