“Great hotel - just wish we could have stayed a little longer” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baur au Lac

Baur au Lac
Ranked #4 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Manchester, England
“Great hotel - just wish we could have stayed a little longer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

My wife and I stayed here as a stopover en-route to Lake Como. Unfortunately, we were held up in traffic throughout Belgium on the way and so we arrived very late at night. This meant room service rather than sampling the restaurant. Nevertheless, our meals were excellent and the service was more like private dining than simply room service.
The room itself was extremely comfortable and we felt very refreshed in the morning for the next day of travelling.
Breakfast in the Pavillion room was also very pleasant (despite the rain).
All staff were very courteous and friendly enough.
We'd have no hesitation in staying here again and we felt like we missed out having only stayed the one night.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Greensboro, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2010

My wife and two kids ages 8 and 4 spent 6 nights at the Baur au Lac . The entire stay was fantastic. From the moment we arrived to the the momement we checked out we were treated wonderfully. Our flight arrived @ 8am from Atlanta and we were picked up by a driver sent by the hotel. The hotel allowed us to check in early, this was greatly appreciated by my wife and I since we had our kids with us and they were very tired after the 8+ hour flight. We stayed in a Jr. Suite overlooking the lake. It was very spacious and very clean. The beds were very comfortable and rooms very quiet. The hotel is also a very clean and elegant hotel. The staff are very nice and will work to accomodate all requests. The concierge was very helpful with the local area and excursions and also arranged a rental car for us which was delivered to the Hotel.
We have stayed in several 5 star hotels and the Baur au lac is definately on the top of our list. If we return to Zurich we will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Huntland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

I stayed here for 5 days in February. I arrived early from Luzern. The reception was friendly and efficient as always. I was given a beautiful canal side room in traditional style and an excellent bathroom including a wonderful large bath!
Room service was always prompt and efficient.

The hotel restaurant (The Pavilion) serves breakfast in one of the most beautiful rooms in Switzerland. Three dinners and one lunch at the restaurant were outstanding.
Free internet access and mini bar are a plus.
This hotel is not cheap but I remember from my first stay 40 years ago that the rates in Swiss Francs have only increased from 350CHF to 1,150CHF per night.
Location is perfect; with a park and views over the lake and the main shopping street only a few minutes away by foot
This would be my choice of hotel in Luzern at any time of year. If possible avoid and street side rooms as they can be noisy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2009

We stayed in September with our teenage son. Our rooms were lovely - very comfortable with large bathrooms. The bedrooms have great black out blinds, so the rooms are dark and any noise is reduced. My only disappointment was that out room was at the back of the hotel and looked out on a fairly busy nondescript street. At 820CHF a night it was disappointing. The hotel also gave our son a room on the same floor but miles way from us. His room looked out on a light well. It was fine but if you book 2 rooms you do expect that they will be near to each other.
The concierge through and other staff were really fabulous. Very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was served in a lovely room looking out onto the garden and was very nice. We also ate at the Rive Gauche restaurant one night and had a very nice meal.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Dubai, UAE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2009

An amazing property, lovely little hotel, the staff were great and they offered impressive service. Housekeeping was unlike any housekeeping we have experienced in our travels around the world. I gave my trousers to be iron and wanted it back in 10 minutes.....and 10 minutes it was. Now that's a true example of service.

One small elevator to access the floors but it felt like my OWN personal elevator. The room was spacious with large windows, social area and writing desk, perfect for the business traveller or leisurely jet setters. It reminded me of home. In addition, his and her's closet space......ideal for me with 10 pairs of shoes and loads of clothes for a two-night stay.

The Club was for members and hotel guests only. We enjoyed that too. Not smoky, not crowded, not too many young adults and enough space if you don't feel like socializing, which we loved.

My husband left his Mont Blanc pen in the room for which he has sentimental values. We called the hotel and reported it but our calls were not returned.

You win some, you lose some. I guess you can't have it all.

Moya
Dubai

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

It was our first trip to Zurich! Beautiful city! The hotel location was perfect to explore Zurich and the regions. Public transport is very easy to navigate from the hotel. The hotel staff let it down. They were way too stuck up! It is a lovely hotel. Breakfast was enjoyable except despite it being summer and 30C + you are not permitted to wear shorts! The food in the restaurant was ok.....We ate at Michelin star restaurants so not really fair to compare. Even at those fine restaurants the staff were friendly.
The room we had was spacious and clean. We did try the hotel nightclub but there are better places in Zurich to party.

All in all it was an amazing trip but I wouldn't stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UkLili
Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

Alright, where to even start... We booked this hotel hearing from friends that it was the best place to stay. We usually stay in 5 star hotels, so the expense was not something that bothered us. We arrived around 4pm and we had to wait 30 minutes for our room to be ready. We stayed in a Jr. Suite, before we had booked we recieved an email about construction that was going on and how room view facing the lake would be blocked. Upon getting this email, I started emailing the hotel to ensure we would have a room with some sort of view. When we entered the room it was totally outdated. I understand trying to make a hotel room look antique, but this room look just ran down. Sure enough, we had a room that was not facing any views, it was on the canal, with a huge crane blocking any views that would have been there. I asked if our room could be switched, and they didn't have any other rooms for us. It made me very upset that I took the time to verify that our room would have a view, and it didn't. I understand construction, but really?!?! It turns out that the crane was blocking the lake views 3 weeks before our stay, but had been placed outside our windows afterwards.

Not only was the room run down, but we had to take 2 elevators to get to the room. The 2nd elevator was so small that to take our luggage down took 2 trips. The room was not well cleaned, there were cobwebs on the lamps, windows and corners of the room.

Having not been to Zurich before, we were told by the hotel it was a great location. The location was right by the dock, which made it nice to walk around, however for shopping and sightseeing it was out of the way. The resturant was totally overpriced for what was offered... I have had much better dining.

I am not big on complaining, but I really feel that this hotel should not have a 5 star rating.

There are much much better places to stay within Zurich. For the price of what you are paying, you expect quality and I certainly did not find that here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple