“Don't stay here even for FREE.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Baur au Lac

Baur au Lac
Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Singapore, Singapore
“Don't stay here even for FREE.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

DON'T EVEN STAY HERE for FREE.

I stayed at this hotel a few weeks back with my Mother - her first trip to Zurich and I wanted to spoil her by staying at the best hotel in town.

Honestly - I have stayed at many luxurious properties which have far superior service. The staff at the front desk are simply rude and cocky. I requested if I could get an upgrade (something special for my Mom and this being hospitality whether people agree OR NOT they tend to smile with their answer). I was talking to the gentleman at the Front Desk while checking in and when I was making my requests - the Front Desk Manager --- snapped at me citing I should not be making requests and even went on to make a noise to eluded that I was making too many requests. All I wanted to do was to spoil my Mother! I was completely taken aback - you CANNOT be the best if you CANNOT take care of my every whim and fancy. There is no NEED to pay top dollar for such an beautiful and expensive hotel which has such horrible staff. (He gave me an upgrade - perhaps noticing my mood was off after he SNAPPED at me but it simply wasn't worth it because his behavior was simply disgusting)

I was so upset with the Front Desk Manager while waiting for room I went to to talk to the concierge about planning activities for my stay. Between the arrival to my room and chatting with concierge - 15-20 mins had passed. When we walked into our room - we SHOCKED to find someone else's luggage placed in our room! I know for a fact that I would not want my luggage to be in the hands of someone random in case items get misplaced. A weak excuse was given that they did not have enough time to move luggage because they had given us an upgrade. Honestly that could be quite true but 5* means high level of service and efficiency! Not us having to deal with another guests luggage!

I was SO upset I called the General Manager of the hotel who merely cited - I SHOULD consider myself lucky that I got the upgrade. I complained about the staff lousy behavior and instead of doing something about it - stated, "Well you got your upgrade AND quite honestly I believe in giving my employees a second CHANCE". Sure let's give them a second chance I said - I DID NOT get an apology from the Front Desk Manager. What kind of luxury hotel doesn't ensure customer satisfaction at the end? What kind of GM tells the customer to suck it up? Especially when you consider yourself one of the BEST in Zurich. I have stayed at many MANY world class hotels but this hotel cannot be compared to anything but a cheap bed and breakfast.

The next day before heading out to breakfast - I called for House Keeping to clean my room. You can only imagine to my DISMAY when we came back to the room to find that the cleaning staff have left their dirty rags in the bathroom! What kind of service does this over priced hotel provide?! -- The kind that is not even worth spending 1 CHF ….

I encourage those of you who are looking to be looked after in a luxurious manner - GO ELSEWHERE if not incur the wrath of lousy staff with bad attitude.

Anyone who reads this review and is in SALES & CUSTOMER service will know that RULE #1,2,3 = CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! If you can't handle all types of customers DO NOT be in the hotel business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
16 Thank poojie21
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear poojie21,

Your arrival at our hotel started with your statement to our front office staff: „you better give me an upgrade if you like good ratings at Tripadvisor“

Our employees are dedicated to customer service, attention to details and special care. The limit to our service philosophy is unacceptable behaviour and blackmail.

Constructive criticism is welcome and helpful in our quest for perfection. However, your comments are entirely unfounded and deserve no further comments on our side.

Wilhelm Luxem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Como, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

I am sorry to disagree with the majority of reviewers. I booked a room in January for August and when I arrived, the only room available was in front of a construction site! Although I found the staff to be very nice, nice did not cut it and I checked out the next day. To say "I am sorry" again and again and to not solve the problem or try to make it up to me is not acceptable. I actually was well received at the Storchen the next day and would not consider the Baur au Lac ever again. The Widder I hear is the better hotel. Such a disappointing experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Artista2013
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Artista2013,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback on tripadvisor.

We are very sorry to read, that your stay at the Baur au Lac was compromised due to construction work originating from a building opposite the hotel.

As far as we are informed about constructions taking place in our area, we always try our very best to notify our guests beforehand. Unfortunately, in this case it was not possible as the noise was unexpected and we therefore hope, you can accept our sincere apologies.

We deeply regret, that we have not been able to offer alternative accommodation on this day, due to the fact that the hotel was booked to capacity.

Thank you for your commendation of our staff, this is always motivating.

We hope you can see your experience as an isolated incident and hope to have the pleasure welcoming you back again at the Baur au Lac.

Kind regards,

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I travelled in Aug 2013 and stayed for 3 nights. Beautifully situated with lake view, metro arround the corner, beautiful garden and so convienent to go shopping. every one was very friendly, polite and very helpful. I had a painting that I needed to put in a hard tube and asked where was the post office near by, they took the painting and did everything for me at put it in my room. that is what you call is service. breakfast area with fresh flower bouquets was amazing and breakfast was also very good. I would go back to this hotel any time in future if I go to zurich.

Room Tip: Get a room with lake view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank rdhami
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear rdhami

Thank you for your wonderful and motivating feedback on tripadvisor. We are pleased to learn that your experience at the Baur au Lac met your expectations.

Our staff, in particular our Concierge and florist team, will be delighted to hear that their endeavour is so much appreciated.

We hope to welcome you soon again.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I booked for room to celebrate my honeymoon. awesome staff kind and helpful, clean room , high class restaurant , located in end of famous road which make even better for me they upgrade my room and offer flower and drink for free I was felt special. For me every time I visit Zurich I will book here

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Abi H
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Abi H

Thank you very much for choosing the Baur au Lac to celebrate your honeymoon.

We are delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your special day with us and especially appreciated the location, room and restaurant. Your kind words about our staff make us very proud and has already been shared with our entire team.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Baur au Lac in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Swiss top quality in service, location, furnishing and restaurant.
It has always been the best in the city and due to heavy reinvestments and updating in every aspect maintains its edge.
Although the Widder disputes the top rating in Zurich, the better location and the more classical and traditional decoration gives Baur Au Lac, in my opinion, the first place among any other hotel in the city.
For discerning travellers who need the very best.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear guillermohoter

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your views about the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor.

To maintain the highest quality and service level, we are continuously investing in our premises.

We are delighted to learn that you esteem our hotel as the first place to stay in Zurich and are glad that the classical and traditional design is to your liking.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guests and we truly hope to welcome you back at the Baur au Lac in the near future.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Baur au Lac very much. The staff at the front desk set a great mood for us after our tiring journey to switzerland. The receptionists always had a smile on their faces which is definitely something to mention. The concierge staff were informative and could answer all the questions I had. A prime location with one of the best breakfast meals I've had at a hotel. I can recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Zurich!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SaltMD
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear SaltMD

Thank you very much for having chosen the Baur au Lac for your stay in Zurich and for sharing your views about the hotel on tripadvisor.

We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your time with us.

Your kind words about our staff make us very proud and have brightened the day of the entire team. Furthermore, we are very happy that you are recommending the Baur au Lac.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Baur is quite simply the best best hotel in which I have stayed, Everything is perfect, The setting the positioning, Decor, Service. All faultless and whilst not at all inexpensive it represents what a luxury hotel should. Its classic decor and sumptuous rooms are firmly set in my mind!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard W
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Richard W,

Thank you very much for posting your “Baur au Lac experience” on tripadvisor.

We are delighted that you have chosen our hotel for your stay in Zurich and are thrilled to learn that you regard the Baur au Lac as one of the best hotels.

Your kind words about the setting, décor and service make us very proud and will be shared with the entire team.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

The Baur au Lac Management