“Widder -- A level above...”
Review of Widder Hotel

Widder Hotel
Ranked #3 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed August 5, 2010

So my wife, my 8 month old, and I just got back from a two week trip to England and Switzerland. In England, we stayed at Claridges. The room was rather small and we had a tough time opening the closets with the crib that was provided. Small matter given the rest of the hotel which really is rather nice. In Geneva we stayed at La Cigogne. Our room was a little tired but I was stunned by the aircon which worked the same way a heated floor works--only from above--so no cold air, the ceiling was actually refridgerated! In Zurich, we stayed at the WIDDER. Now I've stayed at some nice hotels, but this was simply a level above. We had booked it through Leading Hotels of the World of which my wife is a "member." We arrived fairly early and were immediately greeted BY NAME! My wife was also given business cards with her name on and the address of the hotel, plus the direct room phone number! Profuse apologies were offered for not having printed any for me and, "would I like some..."? Next we were told that we had been upgraded--NICE--and then shown to the room. WOW! Stunning. From the Le Corbusier chaise-longue, the TWO Eames chairs, the B&O stereo and TV... just gorgeous, and BIG. Mini bar was all free. There was a free 1/2 bottle of wine. And a crib arrived for our baby with quite simply the most beautiful children linen I have ever seen. The service was absolutely impecable. At one point I went down to explore the restaurants was greeted by name and told that my daughter ELIZABETH (!!) would be most welcome in either one. OK, so three little gripes: the breakfast was not included and it was expensive. The WiFi would not work properly. The shower was over engineered with a massive control valve that jutted out into the showing space.

Note, I marked it with 5 dots for value. To be sure, it was bloody expensive, but we were upgraded, the minibar was free, the facilitites were free and the staff was blow me away good.

BTW, we stayed at the Widder for two nights.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank chgbus

Reviewed May 23, 2010

Great location, wonderful building, friendly staff, excellent evening meal.
Very expensive, and sound insulation between rooms is not faultless - I was kept awake by the people in the room above moving about, opening cupboard doors etc.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2010

we stayed at the widder just after new years to enjoy the city for 2 days and visit some friends. Hotel staff was amazing, you hardly noticed the check in procedure as it was resolved within seconds. Room was beautiful and spacious, large comfortable bed and modern and friendly bathroom! After checkin you have to go to the Widder Bar and eat a clubsandwhich, it is the best in zurich, although it comes at a price. Overall this hotel is a true 5star, which is difficult to find in Zurich, most of the other 5star properties dont come close to the Widder!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Stayed at the Widder hotel for just one evening.
Prefect location, lovely rooms, and friendly staff. The Widder Bar was cosy with a perfect atmorphere, worth popping in for a drink.
The breakfast was a bit poor but no complaints really.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Swiss elegance with a nice subdued style. We stayed in this hotel for only one night but I have to say it was an amazing room, rich with history and elegant. The staff at this hotel have an attention to detail that I have never seen in all my travels. Each room is beautiful, with its own energy and look. Plus the bar and restaurant make it an enjoyable place to relax. While the prices are high, its unmatched in its uniqueness.

They greeted me with dignity and kept up the fine service throughout.

We very much look forward to returning as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2010

My wife and I stayed 1 night in January. The front desk, despite having a mix up with our booking, was friendly, courteous and helpful, solving our problem efficiently. Our room was excellent - large, very well furnished, comfortable and splendidly equipped. The room had as well as the large double bed a Bang Olufson stereo and radio, a large flat screen TV, a desk, chairs and sofa and coffee table. The room looked out onto Rennweg. The staff were friendly and efficient, without being obtrusive. Our only complaint was the breakfast, not included in the room rate, which was rather poor and pretentious and for what it was very expensive. We would certainly recommend staying in the Widder, but suggest you can get a better breakfast elsewhere - given the cost of staying in the hotel, saving money is not likely to be an issue, but quality of breakfast is and this very badly let the overall quality of the hotel down. We did not use the hotel restaurant, so have no views on it.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Our room was spacious with an excellent bed, a wonderful bathroom but rather uncomfortable furniture. The hotel bar and lounges were not very inviting and we did not spend much time there. Ther breakfast room serves a regular continental breakfast at CHF 24. With a room rate of CHF 745 I really believe a much better breakfast should have been included. The staff was excellent but I would have expected nothing less. All in all a good stay but at that price you certainly have many other options in Zurich.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple