“Old Zurich”

Ranked #2 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
“Old Zurich”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

This hotel is located in a meticulously restored series of building in the heart of old Zurich. Our attic suite, with a mezzanine sleeping level was immaculate. The mezzanine bed meant that the room could be comfotably shared with our son. The hotel was a great base to explore Zurich on foot. For runners I would recommend runs along either side of the lake which is only a couple of hundred metres away. Breakfast was a treat.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank zlejins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Davidson, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014

This is our third stay at the Widder Hotel, and each visit has been marvelous. The staff members are courteous, professional and responsive. Each room or suite we have occupied has been unique, but each has had comfortable beds (those in suite 310 are adjustable), premium bedding, and a contemporary bath with heated tile floor. The hotel is undergoing renovation now, and it will continue until December. The inconvenience was minor, with one of the elevators in use for the construction. We heard no construction noise at all, nor was there any dust or odor. So convenient to shopping, restaurants and transportation! We will return when we are next in Zurich.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Suite 310, which overlooks a quiet side street. Morning sun.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruth S
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

This is the second time that I have stayed and both times were a wonderful experience. It is walking distance from the train station. There are shops and restaurants right outside the hotel front door. The room was a decent size with a separate sitting area that had two chairs, couch and coffee table. The bathroom had an inviting large tub. As a leading member I found a half bottle of champagne and my favorite chocolate, Sprungli, waiting for me when I walked into the room. The staff is very friendly. There is a great piano bar attached to the hotel.

The only issue that I had with this last visit was that I booked a rate that included free cover to a club. I asked if the club that we were headed to had a cover. I was told yes and we were given passes. When we got there, there was no cover charge.

If you are a light sleeper you will hear the clock tower chime every hour.

I will stay again next time I am in Zurich.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lor13149
Muscatine, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Spent a day & a night at this unusual 13th century property in a pedestrianised part of Zurich.

Restored frescos in our room old exposed stonework connected by stark steel & concrete passageways & swiss quality carpentry. (I think it's owned by UBS and some of the modern bits felt like a branch of the bank; to industrial not designer enough)

The family room A17 is great with two sets of twin beds the kids beds are in an attic type space and the shower is cavernous!

I like to leave my window open and was staying across the hall from the family room, I could hear a pin drop from the street below plus the church bells going of every 15min and skips being emptied, fortunately I fall back asleep very easily but this could be an issue for some.

The restaurant was very good. I had a lobster wrapped and baked in a clay envelope with truffles then broken at my table. I also tried a venison tartare which was excellent and a turbot starter with Iberico. The chocolate desert was probably the only dish that didn't really do it for me.

Breakfast in the room the next morning was excellent except for a juice that was canned rather than fresh.

Overall I really liked this property and wholeheartedly recommend it.

Stayed January 2014
4 Thank TAr1k
QATAR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

I have been in zurich many time .. Every time i booked with the Marriott , park Hyatt and now my favorite the Dolder Grand ..
But always i want to try the widder hotel .. But there is no pic enough about it to give me clear image about the room and facility .. So when i went to zurich last october .. I decide to pass there and ask for a look to the room .

First when i saw the building from outside i think it will be very small hotel .. But the surprise was inside the hotel .

The manager was very kind and very helpful .. She welcomed us and very delight to took us on a tour of the hotel ..

Really i surprised from the idea of the hotel and how is big it is ..

Every room had different style from the other you can check for it in my picture ..

Its different from any hotel you see it in the world .,

The duplex room has balcony .. Its nice city view ..

The one i died to be there for it the penthouse ... Oh my god .. Living area with fair pet and big big big balcony 360• degrees on the top of the hotel .

The destination of the hotel really very good and exultant .. As in the middle of the down town..

I really recommended for shopping trip and fast trip to zurich , also for the people how love city life .

And i will be there soon.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank QATAR2007
london and tunis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

Visited for both business and pleasure across end of November and beginning of December : total inconsistency in service - people go to the Widder for its vibe, location and the history behind the hotel - it is almost a landmark of Zurich but also for its outstanding services - I am afraid , I can't affirms the service was impeccable during my stay - some good and helpful people but some very arrogant people work there at the reception which is a really shame. I don't regret my stay at all but compared to other hotels in the same range around the world , it is disappointing .

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelatbest
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

Having just returned from four-nights at The Widder, we can say that everything about the hotel was perfect.....almost. On our arrival at the hotel we were shown a selection of rooms from which to choose (all superb and unique in their own way). The check-in process was seamless and the staff very friendly - Fabian worthy of mention for the way he introduced us to the hotel and his impeccable manner.

The room (we chose one on the top floor with roof terrace) was of the highest standard, with everything we could have needed for our stay. Apart from the exclusion of an iron, and the continuous requests for bath robes, we were very impressed.

Breakfast at the hotel was also superb, on three of the four mornings anyway. Carla and her team took care of our every request, right down to the finest detail on all three mornings.......However, during the weekend (when the staff were managed by a gentleman) they were unable to accommodate the increase in guest numbers and as such the service suffered badly. After 30mins, my wife was served the wrong order and I was not served at all. After an additional 30mins wait we left, both angry and hungry. Likewise, avoid The Widder Bar at weekends too, again over 30mins waiting to be served and leaving disappointed.

We dined in the hotel one evening - highly recommended, food, wine and service of the highest standard.

The location of the hotel is superb for shopping, sight-seeing, dining etc.with the 'shoppers paradise' less than a five-minute walk away. This time of year was also wonderful as the city puts on her festive markets and illuminations etc.All the cities boundaries are in a 30min walk from the hotel.

So, although expensive (it is Zurich), we had a really enjoyable few days here; would we come back..........probably.

Room Tip: All rooms are well insulated from the bustle of the streets outside, but high up with a roof terrace...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple