“Great hotel and service”
Review of Widder Hotel

Widder Hotel
Ranked #2 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Munich, Germany
“Great hotel and service”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

This hotel is probably my favorite hotel in Zurich and i try to stay there as long as they have availability. It's located in the very old part of central Zurich in a lovely area with small and quite streets and is just 200 meters away from the famous Bahnhofsstrasse. The hotel is made up of several different old buildings merged together. Some of the rooms have a more rustic character (Stone floors and wooden beams and girders) than the others. So be aware of that and book accordingly. I personally like the relatively more modern ones better.
The service is outstanding and the staff definitely makes you feel valued and welcome every time, which is rare for Zurich hotels from my experience.
Overall I think this is the best Zurich hotel I have stayed at.

Room Tip: Some rooms can be quite rustic and might not be for everyones taste.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Phenompilot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I stayed there twice (march and july) and both times were amazing, great room, so so friendly staff and helpful, the bar is awesome, everything was excellent.
I strongly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brunohuotri
Cheshire
Reviewed May 15, 2011

When my husband told me that he had booked the Widder I have to confess that once I looked at the website I wasn't overly excited but how wrong I was.

We arrived in Zurich to heavy snow and were picked up in a hotel car, arriving outside the hotel with all the Christmas lights and snow falling was like something out of a movie.

We were met immediately by the conceirge and offerred some tea and although very early were taken to our room. The hotel is housed in several older buildings but there are modern touches everywhere that are done really well, one of these is the glass lift which is great. We stayed in a top floor room and once we went up the staircase I was blown away. The room was modern, welcoming and beautiful, we had a living room with windows everywhere and you could see the tops of buildings all over the city and the beautiful mountains.

You have everything you need in the room, a mini bar, coffee machine and some lovely nibbles to go with your drinks, we could get to the roof balcony through the living room and the views were stunning. Our bedroom was small but nice, a little cold in decoration terms but I'm just being picky! The bathroom was lovely.

We had room service a couple of times and it was excellent, considering how far up the room was the food arrives piping hot. Each morning we had breakfast in the room and it was fantastic. We were there for our anniversary (without the children!) so we spent a couple of afternoons just relaxing in the room and it was lovely.

We had dinner in the restaurant one night and it was outstanding one of the best meals we had all weekend. There is a lovely bar that serves great snacks and music at nightime.

We got a great recommendation from them to go for lunch to the FIFA club, it was fantastic.

The location is wonderful, right near the shopping area but on a street that it is not that busy. I loved the Widder, can't think of a single complaint, the staff were great, food amazing, spectacular views, it's a small and intimate hotel, give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of rooftops!
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IrishKaren
New York
Reviewed April 5, 2011

When I go to Zrich, I always price The Widder and the Baur au Lac and, if I can, usually stay at The Widder, Wonderful central location in Zurich, incredibly helpful and professinal staff, fun designer rooms, excellent restaurant, neat bar with music if you want a drink at night. Definitely a 5-star experience.

Room Tip: Rooms facing he street have the most light.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank janelex
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2011

A very unusual but very nice hotel. Its a series of old, historic buildings that appear to have been converted, using some very modern architecture, to turn it into a hotel. The rooms are large with a lot of historic features. The rooms I have stayed in have excellent showers but no bath; which is odd. Also it is very much in the centre of Zurich so noise level is a little higher than I would like. Gym is small but reasonably well equipped and has a futuristic feel. Rather like the bar which is quite small but atmospheric and usually busy.

Breakfast buffet was surprisingly limited given quality of the hotel.

Its a hotel that I would very stay in for personal reasons or with my partner. Not sure it really works as a business hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank UrquhartHK
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2011

We stayed twice at the Widder, a week apart, breaking the journey from the UK to an Austrian ski resort, with a couple of extra days on the way home.

First time, three adults and three children - three rooms in total. A completely perfect experience. Late-ish arrival from the airport. Speedy room service for the children. Speedy and friendly help from housekeeping to change the configuration of the beds. Lightning room service tea in bed in the morning. Great breakfast.

Second time a week later - basically a Zurich city break. Two adults, three children. Two rooms, one a suite with roof terrace. Rooms were delightful - actually perfect. The roof terrace simply stunning. Staff as delightful and helpful as previously. The proof of the pudding, however, is how well the Widder dealt with some things which went slightly awry: shower not working, major miss by housekeeping on day 2, bizarrely slow room service at tea on the first day (in contrast to room service at all other times which was exemplary). These were annoying, took the edge off it slightly - that old chestnut about value for money etc., how you want things to be perfect when you are making a big financial commitment (which we were). But the Widder spontaneously surprised us with a grand gesture and we came away convinced that this hotel is a really class act.

Stay here! I wish all hotels were this good. We will be back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 21, 2011

Very nice hotel, great location. Service is excellent. The hotel is beautifully designed, very high quality amenities. Gym is a bit disappointing, quite small, but easy to access a good run (they have handy running maps on a neck strap - very convenient). A little on the expensive side, but so is everything in Zurich, so no hesitation to recommend.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business