“Nice but too far from the city center”
Review of Route 39

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zurich
Route 39
Ranked #22 of 48 Zurich B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2011

First the positives: The decor of this B&B is very crisp and modern, everything is brand new and spotless. It's clear that this house was gutted and renovated top to bottom. We had the room with a private bathroom and it was pretty spacious by European standards. Bathroom had a large tab, double sinks and big counter where we could spread out and the towel warmer was a nice touch. It would've been nice to have more than one towel per person and I would have asked if I saw the owners. Breakfast was nice, not very special, but nice. The beds were comfortable too and the room had a balcony where you can put your laundry out to dry etc. I also loved the blackout curtains because the sun rises nice and early in Zurich and the sun was relentless during the day.

The negatives: the service felt a bit impersonal but I have never before stayed at a B&B before, so I didn't know what to expect. We saw the owner the first day when we arrived and the day before last when we asked him to book us a taxi. Breakfast was set out every morning and it was all self service. If you needed to talk to the owner you had to ring a bell to their part of the house and it felt like I was bothering him. Another negative is the street noise, the house is on a very busy street and the only way to cope with it at night is to close the bathroom window and the bathroom door, not a big deal but something you need to remember to do.

The tram ride to the city center takes about 25 mins, so not very convenient if you want to come and go during the day. We didn't have to do this on this trip, but if you need to take a break from sightseeing during the day it'd be better to stay in the city center.

Overall it was a good value, considering how expensive everything is in Zurich, but if I have to go to Zurich again I'd be staying closer to the city center.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TheOHtraveler
There are newer reviews for Route 39

Reviewed June 29, 2011

What a jewel of a find. This very charming and comfortable B&B is located a short ride from downtown Zurich. The rooms were very charming (modern decor), spotless and very comfotable. The owners were extremely accomodating and helpful with our travel needs. We have recommended them to our family and friends and expect to return in the near future.

Room Tip: Book
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Please read through!

We are 2 Australian friends (early 20s), we travelled through Europe (not roughing it) for 6 weeks. The things we appreciate in a Hotel are cleanliness, convenience & decent service.

We stayed at Route 39 for 4 nights in May. The room was lovely, decent size (for Europe) & very well maintained. And the breakfast was reasonable too.

However, I have never encountered worse customer service at a B&B. At one point the owner actually yelled at me, and shut the door in my face. My request was to use the Laundry facilities that he had mentioned on his website- don't bother.
We washed our clothes in the bathroom sink.

Also, the location is what I consider far from the centre of town (if that bothers you) You need to catch one bus & then 1 train to be in the city centre. About 15-20 minutes.
There is a very nice Italian restaurant down the road (middle range prices, great service & yummy food) I noticed on a map that there were others close by, but we ate in the city most nights.

The 2 times I saw the owner in 4 days was at check in (when we were immediately requested to pay for our room, before we had even got our bags in the door) & the other time was the Laundry incident. In my opinion, very poor service. But apparently that's Switzerland for you (I've been told!)

It is a nice, very clean & modern B&B slightly out of town, away from the noise. I would recommend this B&B to anyone that doesn't need anything from their Hotel other than a nice room. Unfortunately it was our first time to Zurich, and we were hoping Route 39 would help us out with a few travellers tips. No such luck. So we fumbled around trying to find things to do- although the rest of our trip was so organised it was nice to have a break from the itinerary..
Do all your travel research before you get to Zurich, because the Tourist info is few & far between, apart from the central train station (where they are VERY helpful & speak fantastic English)

It's a beautiful city, but it can be seen easily in 2 days (I would recommend Lucerne over Zurich any day!!) But don't miss the art museum & Bellevue in Zurich! :)

Room Tip: Paris room was large w/ Private Bathroom
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jen_van_Worrall
route39, Owner at Route 39, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

I feel sorry about the way you experienced our service, especially because we really tried to do our best. The day of your check-in you were asking about a trip to the mountains and we tried to book it online for you but unfortunately this didn't work, so we explained you how you can have it booked by visiting the tourist information.
The laundry incident: You asked for laundry service at arround 10 pm, I was already asleep and unfortunately the next day nobody from us was at home to do the laundry for you. I explained this fact to you but I didn't have the impression I was yelling at you.
The fact that we ask for payment upon arrival is a result of bad experiences. We don't ask for a deposit or a guarantee by credit card when the room is booked or when the guest checks in, and as we had several guests leaving without paying, we decided to ask for payment when the guest arrives. But we inform our guests in advance by email that we do so.

Once again, I'm sorry you felt badly treated. We will use your review to rethink and improve our system and service.
Th. Jeger

Reviewed April 18, 2011

We went to Zurich for a weekend in April 2011 and stayed at Route 39. The room we got had lots of space and everything looked very new and clean. We even were allowed to cook our own meal in the breakfast room upstairs. The road in front of the house is quite busy but since our room was situated at the backside of the house we did not hear any traffic noice. In the morning there was a rich breakfast.
All in all a perfect stay for the weekend, we really enjoyed it.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SM_Botter
Reviewed April 7, 2011

My parents, my husband and I stayed in the two rooms with a shared bathroom across the corridor during one night. We enjoyed our stay very much. At first sight you might think that the B&B might be noisy, as the road in front has a lot of traffic, but the rooms are very quiet with extremely good windows. The view was lovely and as we had some nice weather we saw right to the mountains.
Beds are comfortable; rooms aren't huge but totally adequate; bathroom was clean and very practical with a nice, large shower and hairdryer.
Breakfast was very nice: ham, cheese, eggs, coffee, juice, butter, jam, honey, toast, self-made Swiss special bread called "Zopf", cereal, milk... . The breakfast room is on top of the building with a lovely, sunny terrace - the traffic might be a bit of a nuisance during the day in summer, if you want to spend your time relaxing on the balcony, but apart from that it's very, very nice.
The furniture and the whole concept is very stylish and modern, we really felt very much at home. Thanks! We'll come back and recommend the Route 39 to people who need to stay in Zurich for a while. Great!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank LoonySwiss
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Very recent and modern, we stayed in the Paris room with ensuite bathroom at 135 CHF per night. Large, comfortable bed, great bathroom with big bathtub, it feels like the place has been built a couple of years ago! Quiet for good sleep, very nice breakfast room.Not very central but by tram you easily go downtown in 15 mins, totally worth it!

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank silvia_battocchio
Reviewed August 15, 2010

An outstanding B&B for visitors to Zurich. The location is not centralized, but a bus stops just steps from the front door.
The owners have left out no detail when planning their home. The rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious, and very quiet at night.
The guests' lounge makes the place very cozy and a small home away from home. There is a modern kitchen to prepare small meals, and an excellent balcony for morning coffee or a post-dinner drink.
The owners are very kind, thoughtful, and unobtrusive.
When visiting an active city, it's truly a treat to come home to a tranquil place like this.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple