“Call first!”

Ranked #33 of 45 Zurich B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Call first!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I arrived into zurich airport and came straight to the hotel. I was expecting a reception but there is just a number to call. I could only use my UK mobile at very high cost, so was a bit irritated! If you are somewhere with cheap calls, use the number +41432555757 to get your code for entry which is the white box, a bit round from the silver keypad call system to buzz a room which is also a box with numbers, very confusing! Room was lovely and clean, everything worked, lovely hot water, no kettle tho :(. missing making my own brews.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sjoh10132

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Before our arrival they couldn’t answer simple questions good enough like transfer to hotel(I had to explain myself with in 3 e-mails and after that I only received wrong info they told me with train it will take 50 minutes but the fact is it was only 10 minutes from airport, 20 minutes from city center by tram or train!!)

They have a Bar &Lounge called Hotel Lowen and I don’t know that if they are also owner of the place, their door in front of the hotel, there is a small enterance we check into with our luggages. Someone informed us by body language c-in by a side door, it was really hard to go down from poky stairs again and again.

They don’t have any reception also security, There isn’t anyone in the hotel just the guests, it isn’t secure for all guests, neither any detailed information for how to receive our key at check-in(also they didn’t send any info before our check-in via e-mail). And this is not only our oppinion cause we helped 2 other guests during our stay to get their key!! We can provide their stay day and room number if it will be necessary

They don’t have a elevator our room was second floor, we carried our luggages from stairs by ourselves, after a long flight, it was so exhausting.

They don’t have any detailed information in room or at the entrance of the hotel about the city so if it is your first time in the City you have to figure everything by yourself. There is just one towel when we arrived, our reservation was double, we requested one more towel via e-mail. They don’t give housekeeping service on weekends but they give information when we asked the first day via e-mail about housekeeping for everyday and because of that we had to use same towels for 3 days(Friday,Saturday,Sunday)!!!!

Also housekeeping did not change sheets so we slept on the same sheets for 5 nights!!

The room is tiny. The bed is really small, it is not available to slept for two people. The bath so small as well. There isn’t slippers in the room, we also reguested via e-mail but they don’t have.

There is a phone in the room ,it’s not working. They only have hotline to connect in emergency and we have to call hotline with our mobile or card. So if we will have any emergency we need to find a telephone booth to call hotline if your mobile is not working outside of your country because they don’t have any direct line inside the hotel or room to call hotline!!!

The TV mostly have channels which is in german language. They have very few channels in english as well they don’t have any turkish channels(which they can do if they want)

W couldn’t get any good service from their Bar &Lounge as well. Nobody can speak English, there is no food service, So don’t count on that bar if you plan to eat or drink something in there…

The only good thing about the hotel was the free wi-fi. At the end we will not recommend this hotel to anyone. We are also working in tourism business and these kind of poor services are unacceptible.And we were very disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bestee

Travelers are raving about these Zurich hotels

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I stayed there for 6 nights, just because my other hotels of choice in the area were busy.
Hotel is brand new (there were even price tags on towels), so new that actually taxi drivers don't know where it is (side note: from the airport just take train S8 to Oerlikon station and walk, it's about 500m walk). Hotel offers free internet which is a night touch (you have to ask for the password in reception). Room is reasonably big (chose dual room, about 20 sqm), with flat tv with satellite channels (found just two in English - CNN and BBC World, rest was German etc), table, closet and two narrow beds put together. Bed lamps are there but there's completely no power socket around for them to work which I found rather amusing, but the bottom line is you can see it was yet another thing not very thought of during planning/design. No A/C.
The shower is separated from the bathroom just with a plastic sheet, which I find rather disgusting -- it's clingy and will be very dirty really soon. Glass, hotel people, glass! Not to mention it's quite easy to flood the whole bathroom. Bathroom doesn't have a very good ventilation (again, no A/C) so it smells a bit musky there.
During my stay no towels were changed (and they didn't dry out there), neither was bed cover. Worse, toilet paper was not replenished, had to walk down from 4th floor to ask for it.
As for reception/service. No room service, as no kitchen in the hotel. Sure, there's bar downstairs that offers cold breakfast, no dinner though. OK, not far to walk to eat something around, I'd recommend Baumgarten restaurant/bar about 100m from the hotel. I met two receptionist - very nice and professional gentleman in the mornings and the ladey in the evenings. Evening/night receptionist doesn't speak English, and if you speak to her she insists (not too politely) that you speak to her in German (it was the first time in my life that I was forced to speak in German - which I don't know - to buy a beer). I was a witness to the situation where two guests actually had to leave to another hotel as she didn't understand nor care about their situation (elderly gentleman with heavy luggage and heart problems needed 1st floor room, she put him on 5th floor, no elevator). Other people came with bookings, had problems with her as well.

So, if you don't speak German - avoid this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business