Boutique Hotel Helvetia
  • Bar/Lounge
Regina(Zurich)
Widder Hotel(Zurich)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsheated floorsnice showerhotel barthere is no air conditioningwould definitely stay here againcentral stationtram stopgood sizeminute walktwo nightsbusiness tripmattressessocketsdryerswitzerlandsinkminibar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Helvetia is a no frills hotel on downtown Zurich that has pretty much all that a business traveller would look for. The rooms are fine with a good bed and high quality linen. The bathroom in my room was small but adequate with only a shower and plenty of hot water.

The hotel has a super high speed wifi and the only thing I missed was a proper desk where I could work (there was only a small low table)

The restaurant downstairs offers a basic continental breakfast and a good lunch/dinner menu which I found to be quite expensive (as is everything in Switzerland)

Check in times are a bit strange as was the late breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

In my first visit to Zurich I stayed at the wonderful Hotel Helvetia. It was ideally located for my office nearby. They even arranged transport to and from the airport, which worked out much less than the quotes I was getting online. I only had the opportunity to have a drink in the bar but it was a very friendly atmosphere and the staff were very helpful. I hear the food is wonderful to. I Had been warned about noise from passing trams, but being on the 4th floor it didn't disturb me at all. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great small hotel with an excellent bar and dining room downstairs. More of a modern take on a traditional corner bar, with nice boutique hotelly rooms above. Limited facilities if you are looking for a spa and pool, but very central, great atmosphere, great bar and delicious food. Popular with locals and very god access to everywhere by tram, taxi etc. close to the bahnhof too.
Staff are very helpful, relaxed and friendly. Recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, left and came back another 4 nights. I was given different rooms and while the first was small, I had a desk, chair and two side tables with a phone and TV. I was surprised though when I turned the temperature controller on the wall but could detect no difference.

When I called the reception, I was then told there is no air-conditioning. I would need to use the stand fan provided. Sadly, the fan did not work and it took another call to get it replaced. It was suggested that I open the window but because it's near busy road, this is not really a good idea.

The second room was smaller and this time, no tables or chair. Just the cupboard, bed, a small thingy to put the radio and tv remote and a working fan this time. I feel the lighting is a bit too dim and it wasn't easy trying to close the door to the WC.

The perks of this hotel - it's clean and the bed is comfortable. They also provide Kiehl's body lotion, shower gel and shampoo; along with clean face, hair and body towels. There's also a hair-dryer.

Easy to get around because there is a tram stop 2-3 minutes away and it's next door to the Selnau train station - easy to get to Uetliberg. Location is central so you can get food from restaurants, Starbucks, McDonalds or supermarket like Coop or Denner.

If you don't mind a bit of exercise, you can walk to the lake and old town in about 25 - 40 minutes. Otherwise, take the tram.

My grouse - the sink is a tad small so when I wash my face, water splashed around the bathroom. Can get pretty noisy, even more so when you open the window for fresh air. Also wish they serve breakfast earlier - only starts at 7.15am but the staff is nice enough to prepare breakfast if you are slightly earlier.

Not much choice for breakfast on weekdays - croissant, bread with jam, honey, butter or Nutella for CHF9.50.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2012

was my home for 3 nights during my recent visit to Zurich.

I researched hotels beforehand, as I always do, and was rolling my eyes at the obscene (obscene I tell ya!) prices of hotels in Switzerland. This new(ish) boutique hotel was offering a special rate of 150 CHF per night and looked like my kinda place so I booked it. THOUGHTS? I really liked the place, save for the personality-free staff (this is common in Switzerland sadly) meaning dealing with people who looked at me like I stole their puppy or something - sheesh... good thing that the BEDS are SUPER comfortable (yet small), there was trouble free, complimentary WiFi, designer touches here and there AND BEST of all HEATED FLOORS in the well stocked (i.e. Kiehl's) bathroom. Staying here in the winter, this was a godsend at the end of a long (cold) day...

Also to note that this hotel is located on the border of the "trendy" District 4+5 of Zurich which can be of some interest to certain travellers. As trendy as Zurich can get anyways - it ain't no NYC. or even Toronto.

p.s. breakfast is not included (this is common in the German part of Switzerland) but the ground floor restaurant has delicious bircher muesli, also served with sour faces. The restaurant is also a local "hotspot" at lunch and dinner times.

Room Tip: higher floor on weekends as restaurant is busy and there is some noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business