“An excellent recommendation for afternoon tea.”
Review of Cafe Schober

Cafe Schober
Ranked #2 of 22 Dessert in Zurich
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Wadenhoe, United Kingdom
“An excellent recommendation for afternoon tea.”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

A beautiful cafe in the Old Town district of Zurich. A very quiet and peaceful courtyard setting for a tasty light lunch. The pastries and chocolates on display looked absolutely wonderful. Definitely must return.

• Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“a nice surprise”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were wandering around Zurich on a Sunday morning looking for a cafe for breakfast when we stumbled on this cafe. From the outside it looked like a tiny bakery but, like the tardis, it is far bigger on the inside.

We had a great breakfast (coffee and pastries) in a lovely atmosphere. I would recommend this cafe to friends and, if I lived in Zurich, I would happily spend many a sunday morning here!

• Visited May 2014
Sydney
“Thank you”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My husband and I had dinner in a restaurant and were looking for dessert. We asked the after in a bar where we could go to find dessert and coffee and he suggested that this was the best dessert in Zurich. A little hard to find at night as the main shop was in darkness. Once we found our way inside it was an experience I will always remember. Like going back in time but in the most amazing way. It truly reminded me of Alice in wonderland. Lots of little rooms and bigger rooms upstairs. We had dessert and coffee and my husband had a nightcap or two. We returns the next afternoon for afternoon tea so I could have another visit before we left. It as truly amazing and our waiter was brilliant.

• Visited April 2014
Singapore/San Francisco
“Almost afraid to brag about how awesome it is”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

When everything else in old town Zurich is full, Cafe Schober always comes to the rescue. Its low ceilings and cozy couches fulfill all fantasies of a 300 year old coffee house, and their simple menu with flammenkuchen, quiche, and salads to go with your coffee, hot chocolate, beer or wine are perfect for a main meal or at weird times when everywhere else is closed. In winter, especially in December, the Schober is like a Christmas dream, filled to the brim with christmas lights, christmas trees, and christmas decorations to a wonderful excess. Most evenings they have musical performances and live open mic nights with a pianist, and the whole experience feels communal and local.

Go here and pretend to be a local. I fear the day it will become overrun with tourists and lose its charm. If you read this review and go there, please try to pronounce the German menu items correctly!

Visited December 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“nice atmosphere”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The only reason I am giving a rating 4 is because of the nice and cosy atmosphere. Otherwise the cakes were not good. Eclair was quite bad.

• Visited September 2013