All reviews tram stop ice machine glass door trams and buses city centre functional hotel business hotel close to the airport bathroom floor public transport day pass hotel guests convenient location the air conditioning comfortable stay min walk stayed one night
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I found this hotel to be much better then Crowne Plaza near Hardbrucke.
My review might be a little biased as I got upgrade to Executive Room (I have some status with IHG).
Location:
Let's clarify some doubts once and for all.
Hotel is located beside some Stadium with some events happening from time to time. While it might seem perfect for sport or concert fans, other people can find the location a bit remote.
Now - Zurich Oerlikon is 6 minutes away by foot (750m).
If you need to carry a luggage and still want to use public transport - there is a bus stop just outside of the hotel, which can take you to the train station in 2-3 minutes.
If you want to go to/from the airport I suggest to walk about 600m - 5 minutes to the nearest tramway station (Zürich, Leutschenbach) - it takes only about 15 minutes. If you take opposite direction, I think you can reach central station Zurich HB, but best check your options at sbb.ch
Also keep in mind that ticket purchased at the bus stop opposite the hotel is valid until your final destination, so no need to buy extra or separate tickets.
About 500 meters towards to Oerlikon station is some small shopping area, with Coop and Lidl and C&A stores for your convenience. I have not seen the stores in the direct neighborhood of the hotel.

Hotel itself:
Room seems to be nice, with some modern decors and glass bathroom door., it is indeed a little warm inside and you can feel it in the hallways. My solution to keep temperature lower without A/C on was as simple as opening the window. Depending on your room location it might be a bit noisy - either form the low-traffic street or from some soccer practicing people.

As mentioned I had Executive room, which had mini-bad with non alcoholic beverages included, so that was very nice. Also they have Nesspresso coffee machines, and coffee made was very good.
I had impression that hotel is somehow owned/run by some ethnic minority and they tend to sit beside the entrance every day, smoking some tobacco and behaving quite loud. I did not use the bar facilities, so it did not disturb me, but could be annoying.
What I found quite surprising, it looks like the smoking in public places in Switzerland is not forbidden. And if you use public transport and it rains, person beside you, under the same roof/bus/train stop would smoke. While this freedom might be a heaven for smokers it can cause some disturbance to others.
Overall, I would stay in the hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank --Roman_PA--
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Thanky you very much for having chosen our hotel for your recent stay and also for the time you have taken to write down your detailed comments.

We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and especially that you would stay with us again. The hotel itself is run by a Swiss company and has no liasion with the mentioned guests.

I agree that it is quite disturbing that people often smoke on public bus stops and this is definitely quite disturbing for non smokers. Our hotel by the way is completely non smoking to guarantee a good and healthy stay.

Thank you again for your very favorable review, we would be very happy to host you again on your next trip to Zurich!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed in holiday inn in Lugano the previous night and the staff were excellent but the room was dark and quite noisy so our expectations for Zurich were a little unsure. We were pleasantly surprised at the generous room size, although the room temperature was a little high which made sleeping difficult. The pillows were a little soft for our comfort so we saw the housekeeping staff next morning and requested additional plumper pillows. Returning to our room later we had 4 extra pillows to choose. great service! The front desk staff explained the temperature settings and we were happy to sign a safety waver so we could open the windows. We had late dinner on our arrival after a stunning train trip from Lugano and were delighted with the service at the bistro. The staff were attentive and the food met our immediate needs. Loved the access on trams to the city and would recommend the hotel as 'away from the hustle and bustle' but close for access without any drama!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your stay at our Holiday Inn Zürich Messe and for the time you've taken to write down your comments.

I am very delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I wm esepcially thankful for your comments on our staff.

We would be very delighted to host you again on your next trip!

Kindest regards from Switzerland!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Holiday Inn messe is in Oerlikon district in Zurich. Not central but. Close to bus and tram line to city center - 20 minutes and Airport. Near the Hotel- Hallen Stadion where many performances and concerts take place. (When I stayed - Bionce and Jo Cocker).
Rooms are modest but have coffee making kettle and safe deposit box.
Shower good but lacks closing door/curtain. Heating is an issue the temperature in room too high.
Was a bit difficult to sleep.
Staff efficient amd helpful.
Parking garage under hotel but pricy.
Total assessment medium plus. Did not receive priority club points probably loyalty not appreciated.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking football pitch
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our hotel and I especially appreciate the comments on our staff which I have already forwarded to them.

The month of May was very cold here in Switzerland with some very harsh temperature changes therefore it was quite difficult to always find the ideal temperature for the guest rooms, I am sorry that the temperature was too hot in your room during your stay.

As for the points you should receive them if you have booked your room directly with us, however if the room has been booked trough a third party intermediary we unfortunately can't credit you any points as per Priority Club regulations. If you do have booked your room directly with us, please contact us directly and we will credit your points as soon as possible.

Thank you again for having stayed with us and for the time you've taken to write down your detailed comments.

We would be very happy to see you soon back again at our Holiday Inn Zürich Messe

Kindest regards from Switzerland!

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This hotel was exquisite. I slept great since the beds were comfortable. Nice and clean. Good bathroom. Friendly staff and the tram was near this facility. Food was excellent. Make sure you get a package that includes breakfast. They had nice hot choclates and teas in your room with a hot water pot to allow you to start your day.

Room Tip: Alert the hotel what time you are arriving.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank FredRci
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear guest

Wow, what a wonderful review! Thank you very much for the favorable words. We are truly happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially the comments on our staff are highly appreciated.

We would be very delighted to welcome you back at our Holiday Inn Zürich Messe soon.

Kindest regards from Switzerland

Reviewed April 28, 2013

It is situated 5 minutes drive from zurich airport, but the shuttle bus charged quite a stiff amount. I thought for that amount, i could have stayed in the city itself.
The hotel stands out, all alone, right opposite teh Messe, Fair area. I guess, if i had been here to attend the fairs at the Messe, maybe i could have appreciated the location better. Anyway, i chose from the website thinking it will be near the airport, so i could savethe trouble and time to reach the airport, but it didnot meet this criteria in the end.
the room was ok and had all the bare necessities, so was the toilet, nothing much to complaint, but also nothing much to crave about.
Breakfast was good and sumptuous, going by European standards and worth mentioning.
The staffs were curt and to the point, but Gordian at the front desk must be mentioned, for his helpful nature and very resourceful too.
The location is neither here nor there. you need to take a bus or taxi to reach the Airport or Railway station. The hotel doesnot provide transport shuttles.
Did not have much time or chance to try any of the other facilities, because the stress of planning your arrival and departure and daily commuting to your meetings was enough to keep you occupied.

Room Tip: nothing much to add.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments on your recent stay. Especially the comments on Gordians efforts are highly appreciated. We are sorry to hear that you were dissapointed by the location. It is true that we are not an airport hotel but both, the city and the airport are easily accessible by public transport within 15-20 minutes.

We would be happy to welcoming you again on your next trip to Switzerland.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Kindest regards,