I arrived in Zurich via air for a 4-day trip in early Dec without any hotel booking. Tried to do some internet booking at the airport but it failed. In the end I used the Tourist Information Centre at the Zurich Main Station (free service). Upon checking, only 2 hotels were available for 3 consecutive nights. One was a 4* hotel and the other one Hotel Villette, a 1* hotel as informed by the personnel at the tourist information centre. The difference is about CHF40 per night. I didn't choose the former because it's a bit out of town, a few stations by tram, have to pay extra for breakfast, and internet access is not free. Hotel Villette on the other hand is located in the Old Town, have breakfast and free WIFI internet access. So with some reservation, I made the reservation for 3 nights.
So bearing in mind that this is a 1* hotel, the following are my comments.
- Location, which is in the Old Town and thus within walking distance to almost all places of interests in Zurich. And despite it being located in the Old Town, it's located in a quiet alley which ensures a good night sleep.
- Room is quite roomy, mattress and pillows are good, sheets are new and clean. Everything else, nothing fancy.
- The bathroom is OK (shower only, not bath tub), clean with basic toiletries.
- Free breakfast, though it's only slices of bread with jams and butter and tea/coffee.
- Personal service - because, as highlighted in one of the previous comments, the lady (a Thai with a quite good command of English, and German, I think) who is the receptionist is also the waiter during breakfast and the chambermaid.
- Free WIFI internet - though in the end I must say I didn't actually use it.
- The reception, located on the 2nd floor, is small, and doesn't look like a hotel reception.
- Room has no fancy view.
- The lady who is the receptionist is also the waiter during breakfast and the cleaner. Despite this, she is good and friendly.
- Breakfast is minimal, not a buffet. The bread and drink (tea/coffee) are unlimited though upon request :-)
- The lady stays until around 5 or 6 pm only and afterwards, you'd need to call a mobile no. for check in.
- The main door is locked in the late evening but along with your room key, you'll also get the key for the main door.
- Quite expensive, but then so is everything else in Switzerland :-)
To me, the hotel is actually more comparable to a 2* or 3* Bed & Breakfast in the UK, in some cases, even better. Looking past the room price (or any price tag in Zurich, for that matter :-D), I would certainly wouldn't mind going back to the hotel in the future.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Villette reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.