“Should have read fellow reviewers' comments...”
Review of Hotel Villette

Hotel Villette
Ranked #133 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This hotel was a disaster. When I checked in, the clerk informed me that the room without bath I had reserved was not available ("booking.com must think we are robots, we can't update our records as quickly as they book us") and that we had to take a room with bath for 60 CHF more (total 510 for three nights). I knew it wasn't easy to find accommodations in Zurich so I grudgingly accepted. When I checked out, I asked for a receipt and was told huffily that they were very busy and I should have asked for one the night before. (Gee, I must have missed the notice posted about that...wherever it was...) She put the receipt on the counter and walked away without a word. I asked her "Would you please write on the receipt that you were not able to honor my reservation with the room without bath so I can get a refund from booking.com?" She refused and did not give a reason.
Besides this, the breakfast was substandard (for example, the cheese was not presliced and I watched as a guest who had been coughing grabbed the whole block with her bare hands to cut off slices) in a city where delicious baked goods are readily available. The room was very, very noisy. The electric plugs were not located near the head of the bed and the room was not cleaned once during our three-day stay (the bed was made a bit sloppily one day).
There was almost never anyone at the desk, so we did not dare leave our luggage on our last day in town. (We saw someone else's luggage sitting next to the desk, but during the day the hotel is not locked and anyone can come in.)
The location is terrific, but that is the only thing to recommend this hotel. And in a very expensive city, this is a place you can almost afford if you are on a budget. But I agree with most of the folks here: stay away. I wish I'd read everyone's comments before I had booked.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Kathy S

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I'm afraid that I have got to disagree with the majority of the reviews for Hotel Villette...

We stayed here for 4 nights for the Ironman (140.6) Switzerland in July 2013 which I was competing in. Having read reviews from lots of differing sites we decided to go with Hotel Villette purely for location and we were not disappointed, it is ideally situated in the heart of Zurich, a 1 minute walk from the lake side, and is only a stones throw from the tram station which gives you a 10 minute ride to the start point for the IM.

Yes the reception is on the second floor, but as a seasoned traveller, I find that this is not unusual for small establishments on mainland Europe, the lift is great and can fit 3 people in it. Our room was a decent size (double bed and a single for our daughter, all with en-suite, shower toilet, sink and TV with English speaking channels), the safe was bolted into the wardrobe and the room was cleaned every day we were resident. The towels were changed when we left them on the floor as instructed and the reception staff speak a good standard of English.

Breakfast was of a decent standard, with all the usual continental meats, cheeses, fresh bread, fresh coffee etc. (admittedly there is no cereal), and this is all served in the restaurant on the ground floor which is integral to the hotel, a nice little touch is that the boiled eggs have the Swiss flag painted onto the shells...

Negatives - and to be honest these didnt detract from the stay in any way... Only two plug sockets in the room (although it looks different at first glance, it is a normal two pin European fixture) and No air con in the rooms and there was a freak heat wave during our stay (36 - 38 degrees) so it would have been a god send if we had it. When I asked the reception as to why they had no AC, they told me that no hotels in this particular district were allowed to fit it as they are all listed buildings due to their age (this was confirmed by friends staying in another hotel, so its not Hotel Villette's fault). And finally I actually found that I still had our room key when I got home to the UK so I called them and posted it the same day, which they said would not be a problem, they then proceeded to debit my credit card 500 swiss francs (which equates to £342, $553 or 404 Euros) for the key... I rang them and asked why they had done that and they said that once they received the key they would re credit my card... They did but I lost out around £8 on the exchange rate.

As for the reviews saying that it is over priced.... WELCOME TO SWITZERLAND !... everything is over priced and if you cant handle that from the out set then I really suggest that you don't come... As its not fare to come and then moan about it later.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Thebates22
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This place is a dump albeit a rather expensive one. In our room, there was no hotel info or TV channel info. The electrical plugs are not European standard so you can't plug your electronics in and even if you could, there were only 2 outlets, both used for mismatched bed lights. There is no clock radio, no coffee maker and the safe is not bolted down. The toilet seat was broken. I would recommend you avoid staying here.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 258Dreams1
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were conned by the pictures and with it being situated so close to the lake. This is a very overpriced budget backpacker type of hotel and I will definitely not recommend it in anyway shape or form. The first negative was the reception was on the second floor and you had to lug your bags to the first floor before finding a lift that was only a one person lift. We were told our room was on the fourth floor but then found it was the 3rd floor. When opening the door, only key entry was astounded a the size of what was supossed to be a double room - never been in such a small one in all my travels included B & B's. There was not enough room on the floor to fit our 2 suitcases and you had to stand at the side of the bed so the other person could move around the end of it. Bathroom not a bad size and was acceptable. There was no airconditioning, or fans and working power points to charge appliances there was only 1. The windows opened out to the narrow lane but could not be left open at night due to the noise coming from the restaurants in the lane so the room was stifling. The beds were comfortable wonder of wonders. The bed was made as we happend to be booked for 2 nights but the WET TOWELS were just folded and hung back up for reuse thus leaving them still damp at night. THOUGHT TOWELS IN HEAP ON FLOOR MEANT CLEAN TOWELS BUT OBVIOUSLY NOT IN THIS ESTABLISHMENT. As for breakfast well what can I say. No cereals offered, only one type of bread and the toaster would not brown it up and as usual there were the usual cold cuts, cheese and salad type vegetables and even a COLD hard boiled egg. We had one hot drink and then no staff bothered to come and see if we needed another one or if all was ok.
THIS HOTEL IS DEFINITELY NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED AND IN MY VIEW SHOULD NOT BE LISTED TO INTERNATIONAL TRAVELLERS.

Room Tip: Don't always believe what you see advertised
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank veronrose
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Selected this hotel as it was 0.1 miles from the town.
No mini bar and did not get water from the cooler renewed for last 3 days.
No staff on duty at night.
room not cleaned and beds not made,
Noisy outside till 2.00am and too hot to close the window.
When asked to change the room the women said no rooms available but the other staff said she lied as she couldn't be bothered.
Breakfast terrible.
Room very very small.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel or don't travel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank atulgandecha
Reviewed June 24, 2013

170CHF per night is not worth it. First, i thought that they offer room that overlooks the lake. None. You have to carry your luggages one floor up as the lift only starts there. The room didn't even have free bottled water. Breakfast was nothing to brag about. However, it's a few minutes away from the lake. Something positive.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This hotel is far mor expensive than its pricing suggests. The rooms are small, the ceiling is very low, the window opens to ugly areas with ventillation coming directly out from a kitchen. Cupboard very small, the walls are thin, painted red and other violent colours. There is an elevator, but no doors in the cabin - one wonders how such a system gets permission in CH.
Choose this place if you wish to enjoy the smell of food all day. Do not be misled by the central location...in Zürich everything is within reach in 5-10 min by the excellent tram sevice and no worries if you stay 1 km away in another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple