“room without AC” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #96 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Orlando, Florida
“room without AC”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The front desk staff was very helpful with how to get around the city. The room was nice but without AC and a bit hot, THe hotel brand itself as 4 star but it isnt as what you would expect. They also listed that its near Zurich Main Bahnhof but isnt no where near.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Summary review: a "four" star hotel, which is really a not so good 3 star. Bad service, overpriced and a not so helpful attitude. Will never stay there again.

The whole story: My family and I (wife and three kids, including a 1 yo baby) went to Zurich to the wedding of a good friend. We stayed at the Leonardo as it was suggested by the marrying couple and was one of the few affordable hotels those days (I usually stay for business in Zurich in 5 star ones such as the Park Hyatt or the Baur au Lac, but since this was on my dime I was not willing to spend such serious money).

When I called the Leonardo to make the reservation they told me that since we were five I should book a suite, which would accommodate a double bed, a double sofa bed and a crib, which sounded good to me. They also insisted I had to book in advance a parking spot if I wanted one, since they were scarce.

When we got there we realized this was no "four star" hotel. Tiny reception, handled by one person only, your typical European three star hotel (which is perfectly fine unless they are trying to sell you a four star one!). When we got to our room we realized the sofa bed was not opened and made, despite our request before leaving for dinner, when we came back the sofa bed was not ready. When asked at the reception they told me the "house keeper" was gone for the day (!!) and that no one would be able to help us with the bed. We has to wait one hour to get the sheets and pillows to make ourselves the bed (having to call the staff twice to bring the right type of sheets)!!

Having resolved that I decided to buy some water. The reception would sell wine and beer but no water so was told to go to the cafeteria and buy it there. When I asked for a liter of water they told me it was $14!! When I inquired whether that was the normal price the waiter very angrily replied "This is Switzerland!".

Next day we went to the wedding and came back late at night with the kids asleep, we found the nice surprise that our parking spot was taken!! when I went to the reception to ask them to find me another spot they told me there was nothing they could do as neighbors or others usually took the places. I suggested they called the police and have the car towed for parking illegally but they said that would be too harsh and cause trouble to the "poor"person who obviously took my spot by mistake but with no "bad intention". Their solution: go look for a parking garage or a spot on the streets close by. Nice solution when you have your three small kids sound asleep in the car and need to get them to bed urgently.

To close this wonderful stay on a high note, my wife and the three kids went for breakfast the next day. When she asked for a high chair for the baby, the kind waiter (the same only guy that handles the cafeteria and sold me the $14 liter of water) signaled to the corner where they keep them and told her to go get it herself as he was busy.

No surprise the service in this hotel is so bad since normally only a very young "intern" or "stage" apprentice is handling the whole property!

Forgot to add: this was probably the hottest summer week in Zurich and I know hotels there do not have AC, but please, at least provide a fan for every room. Our suite only had one, so one of the rooms was hot as an oven.

Take my advice: unless you are on a budget and there are no other hotels available, skip this one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andres P

Travelers are raving about these Zurich hotels

Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

They say it's a 4 star hotel I say it's a good 2 star hotel and a very bad 4 star hotel. The rooms and the bathrooms are clean but tiny. The bed has 2 sides to the wall and a third near another one (like 40 cm away).
The room was prepared for a single (one big towel, one small towel). Nothing in the minibar. No aircon, and it was hot! If you open the window there is too much noise because in front of the hotel there is a tram. I recommend to choose a room on the other side of the hotel.
The tram is really good, you can go to the city center in 10 minutes and to airport (no. 10) in 25 minutes.

San Francisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I like the theme and naming every room a famous Schwiizer is cute (although it's a bit overdone). I like the location as it's near two Universities and walking distance from the Altstadt. The staff are friendly, speak high German and English flawlessly. But none of that makes up for the facility itself which is desperately in need of a remodel.

The rooms are dated. The bathroom was a nightmare -- there was black mold on the ceiling and anyone over 180 cm would have to crouch to take a shower. There's no AC (which is usually OK but I was staying during a rare hot spell). There's no bar or restaurant per se but there's an adjoining cafe that serves breakfast. There's a church tower bell that rings every 30-minutes with enough volume to wake anyone not comatose. In fairness, this last critique isn't really the Leonardo's fault -- the building was there long before it became a hotel.

It's a little harsh but all this adds up to a two star rating in my book.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a balcony as you won't want to spend a lot of time indoors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Nice little botique hotel for a short stay. Breakfast was great. Location is great as it's literallyalong Universitatstrasse and it's very near Technoparkstrasse 1, Technopark Campus where I had my exam week. Accessible to most of the major attractions such as shopping malls, the St. Peter church, Town Hall, etc.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Kristabelle R
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel at the beginning of August. A very convienient hotel right next to a tram stop and in a nice looking part of town. The hotel is situated on the top of a hill, which is great for views and there are plenty of routes down into the main part of town, providing you with a wide variety of views. The hotel doesn't look great from the outside, but is nicely decorated on the inside, is clean and tidy and the reception staff are very helpful. We managed to get a room a lot earlier than we were supposed to which was great. The room was small but completely functional, comfortable bed, nice bathroom. The room is a little small, but perfect if you only intend to use this hotel as a base for exploring. Huge downside is the heat. whilst we were provided with a fan, this just circulated the heat around the room and with the noise from the street outside it was impractical to keep a window open. If this hotel were to invest in air conditioning, particularly for those rooms facing the street I am sure it would improve its ratings. In summary a nice hotel if you just want a bed for the night, quite reasonably priced but prepare to sweat!

Woking, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night in August when it was very hot. First up, yes it needs some air conditioning but a fan was provided and it was very hot outside. Other than this though the hotel experience was great.

The hotel was easy to find and a short hop away on the tram which we picked up right outside the airport. Because of this the hotel is located perfectly if flying in and very easy to get to.

On arrival we were made to feel very welcome and allowed to check into our room much earlier which was a huge relief after travelling in the heat. I found the reception staff to be very polite and helpful even though my German is pretty poor. They were always happy to talk to me in English and put up with me trying the local lingo! The rooms and other areas are all kept very clean and tidy. The rooms hav a nice modern feel anthe bed was very comfortable.

The hotel is a short down hill walk into the centre of town but trams are a good idea on the return.

In short, the staff, ease of access, location and cleanliness make this a great hotel. If yhey get air con in the rooms it would be even better and they'd see more 5 stars!

• Stayed August 2013