“Lovely to look at..................but..”
Review of Contrapunto - CLOSED

Contrapunto
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This splendid-looking venue looks to be on-line with ALL the operations in Zurich run by the notably reliable Bindella Group, & is one of the few places open 7days in Zurich . Terrif! But whist the familiar & sometimes clever mix of furniture,lighting,colour,art & tablecloths! (always a note of style in quality commercial hospitality) never fails to please in all their operations & for me, always set one at ease...this time (my 1st visit to this centrally located Italian restaurant) in the end , I was bitterly disappointed.
Greeted warmly upon arrival & at the table by English(!) speaking staffers( both not always the case in Switzerland!) I was quite happy to wait until my lunch date turned up.

We duly ordered from their reliably structured menu inc house-made pasta--with some OTT options if money was no object at luncheon(Tuna around CHF 80!!!) -- & enjoyed quality house wine from a disappointingly limited range....but were then hugely disappointed when obliged to be kept waiting nearly ONE HOUR from the time of ordering, for the main to arrive...left for dead ,it seemed like.
ONLY when SO exasperated, we insisted on knowing what was going on, were we told "the kitchen had technical problems". Well I guess that CAN happen, but why were we not appraised of this so we could consider our options, & maybe offered another glass of wine as compensation, while we waited? As it turned out, it wasn't worth the wait...with my dining partner's fish on the dry side, & my pasta only so-so....we trooped out, our spirits drooping from a disappointing pre-Christmas luncheon that promised so much.

I

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Average price for zurich standards (not too expensive). The noodles with the lemon sauce and shrimp are very good! The service was quite good, but what hooked me was the atmosphere with all the cool paintings and sculptures! There is also a cool fountain downstairs :).

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Everytime I come to Zürich, this is one of my places. Centrally located, well staffed, honest and fresh food, priced correctly, warm and nice in winter, and in summer a lovely outside experience. I first came to Contrapunto more than 25 years ago with my wife, and we still remember how pleasant it was. Will certainly keep on coming. All my friends in Zürich recommend this restaurant by the way.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

In a way it was my fault. Having become enamored of the pumpkin cream soup popular in the town this time of year I should have not expected an Italian restaurant to deliver...and they didn't. It looked great , thick with pieces of pumpkin and seeds for garnish it looked great Instead it tasted like a bowl of salt ...when I say it was salty I mean like salt was all I could taste ....really disappointing I did see a nice plate of caprese salad go by...I'd go for that next time
The main course was a very well prepared veal cutlet in a very clean lemon and sage sauce nicely done ! The highlight was the small dish of Parmesan risotto that accompanied it. Perfectly cooked and rich with the taste of Parmesan without being overwhelming. Nice gelato for desert

Service friendly when you could get them Restaurant was nearly empty and most of the staff congregated outside of the kitchen catching up on last evenings highlights.
Pleasant but nothing special...and the salty taste is still lingering

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Food was great i loved it, i ordered: Escallop with lemon ,Fish soup,Green salad. it so easy to find the place. Very welcoming and fast services thu it sunday n the place is crowded!