“Vegetarian Buffet”

Samses
Ranked #304 of 1,892 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: International, European
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Gewerbeschule
“Vegetarian Buffet”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is a cute little hip restaurant. No problem, if you just want to grab a bite by yourself.
It has a buffet, where you can choose what you want, they weigh it and you pay it. For switzerland the price is average (which means, it all appears too high for americans). The selection varies greatly and they have the top five out of all kinds of nations from asian to indian as well as italian and swiss.

Visited October 2012

New York City, New York
“Two different dishes average three stars”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Of course my husband got the 4-5 star dish and I got the 1-2 star dish. He got the traditional swiss dish and I didn't. I got a pricey pasta dish in which the sauce was disgusting. A lot of people who got the buffet seemed happy. I read another rating stating that this restaurant is hit or miss and boy were they right! Well, now you know how to order when you get there!

• Visited October 2012
St. Gallen, Switzerland
“Favorite restaurant in Zurich”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is a truly excellent vegetarian only restaurant. The staff is very friendly and you can sit at a low or high table or have take-away. There is a menu or what I prefer is the self service counter where a great selection of different foods is to be found, guaranteeing to never get bored as a vegetarian. They really make an effort to create new things and keep a high standard. I heartily recommend this to anyone, even if you like meat it's really worth a try. My favorite restaurant in Zurich!

• Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tasty but risky”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

One of our party has a milk allergy and so we asked the waiter to rule out any dishes with milk products. We ordered only items that we were told were completely vegan. It was soon obvious that the waiter had made at least one mistake.

The food was pretty tasty, though.

• Visited July 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Pure Vegetarian Restaurant and Pure Awesomeness”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Zurich is truly a great choice for a vegetarian holiday, with at least four 100% pure vegetarian restaurants. I ended my vegetarian holiday in Zurich with Samses. It was last, but certainly not least. The food here is amazing. It is a small restaurant, and every dish is prepared with love by the 2 owners. And yes, it is a pure vegetarian restaurant. No meat whatsoever in this place, which makes it even more awesome.

I liked it so much, I came here twice! The first time, I stopped by for a dessert: I had this cool vegan chocolate mousse thing. I wish I wrote down its name, so that I could have referred others to it. That was during the day, and I saw that they had their buffet out.

The next day, I returned during the evening, when they have much more choices, through their a la carte services. I ordered their Indonesian Dish, which was one of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. If you can only visit Samses once, get that dish.

The ambiance of Samses is perfect for a special date. It is not as loud as Hiltl, but not as plebeian as Tibits. It has a Manhattan alternative vibe about it, with a bit of darkness, illuminated by romantic candles. This is where I would take that special someone.....or just go and treat myself. The neighborhood is in a young happening place, so you'll have fun walking around. I suggest going in the evening, since a lot more happens there. You don't have to deal with tourists, either. Totally safe and fun area.

The service is great. Every server cares about your dining experience, and one of the owners always checks if you like the food. You are not taken for granted at Samses; you are valued as a customer. The Swiss welcoming nature is totally evident here.

Finally, the price: it is very affordable to eat at Samses. Way cheaper than Hiltl, and about the same price as Tibits. While they may not have as much selection as Hiltl, the food quality and selection are way better than Tibits.

On my next visit to Zurich, I am definitely coming back here for numerous meals. Thank you to everyone at Samses! :)

• Visited July 2012