“Good Hotel”

Hotel Hirschen
Ranked #81 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Excellent location in the old town. Walking distance to the main attractions in Zurich. Surrounded by restaurants and cafes.
Free Internet access
The rooms are very clean, the beds comfortable.
But my single room was tiny. The bathroom amenities are very limited. They could have put some more shower gel!
Breakfast is limited.
Very welcoming and nice staff

Room Tip: The room on the 9th floor is the best. Big with a great view and terrace.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This lovely hotel is situated on a beautiful square in the centre of old town Zurich. It is an affordable hotel in expensive Switzerland. The front desk staff were extremely helpful. The hotel is full of character and history; especially interesting is the wine cellar where my son and I enjoyed a glass of wine. It was interesting to talk to the staff and learn about the history of the hotel and the well in the cellar. It was great to be able to walk to many places of interest in the city and many thanks for the umbrellas provided by the hotel. It was lovely to sit at the window and watch the city of Zurich go by!

Room Tip: If you don't mind a bit of evening noise, the street rooms have a beautiful view of the square a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife n I stayed at Hotel Hirschen for 2 nights. Location is 10 minutes walk from the train station. It was a little difficult to find. We had to depend on Google Maps again. Hotel was camouflaged by other buildings.

Front desk staff was very friendly and nice. Breakfast choice was limited but simple and nice.

Rooms are very clean. They even used high quality toilet paper. Only disappointing place is the shower area. It is good just enough for an Asian.

Sleep quality is fair to poor as it is very noisy downstairs at night. There are night clubs and pubs downstairs. It was fortunate that there was rain both nights I stayed makes the place more quiet.

Overall, fairly good for location and price for a Zurich hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KC L
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed September 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for several nights in late June 2012. While moderately priced for expensive Zurich, the hotel still seemed expensive given the room size and amenities. Nonetheless, the place was spotless and the hotel itself was very well located, both important attributes. We enjoyed being able to walk to the train station, national museum, and many other sights in the Old Town area, including several very nice restaurants. The Hirschen staff was very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast (included in the room price) was nothing fancy but perfectly adequate for our needs. Because rooms overlooking the square (offering the better view) were likely to be noisier at night, we opted for a back room, which was a good bit quieter. We think it was a good decision.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rob103
London
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Hotel is in good location. On foot you can reach many city sightseeing points.
The bathroom was too small for one person. My room was with no view except of another building's wall, just five feet away. The daylight was limited.
Breakfast was very poor and awful. Everything was taken from plastic bags. Always need to beg for a coffee or sausage.
Hotel front desk staff especially one guy was soft and unfriendly, have paid for my stay here but felt like they are not happy to see me here. I and my friends all this time felt like we have stayed in a prison.

What I can say, hotel was too overpriced for anything.

Will never ever stay here again! Of course I would not recommend this hotel to any of my friends.

Guest

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SonySi
Perth
Reviewed August 31, 2012

The hotel is situated in the heart of the old town overlooking the main square. We were on the 9th floor and although the room and bathroom were clean, it doesn't offer 4 or 5 star luxuries. Expect 3 star and you will not be disappointed. We only stayed one night and had to leave early and arrangements were made for an early breakfast which we were grateful of. Definitely recommend a visit to the wine cellar and wandering the route of the old town. Pick up a map from the tourist office.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor and listened to the party resellers until 5am. Not sure how you avoid th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jayne C
Brisbane
Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I was disappointed by the hotel. In part it may have been that my expectations had been built up by the website.

I was hoping for a unique experience, instead it was a fairly plain ordinary hotel.

Our room cost was 195 chf,and that may be cheap for Zurich but it seems a lot. Therefore I was judging on that basis. If other hotels are much more than it probably is fine.

The room was plain basic and small whilst clean. The bed was described as a queen for double use which was 140cm. Looking at it after I thought it was a double, I found 150 or 153 is Queen and 135 is double??

The curtain let light show through as it was not thick or backed with block material.

We were above the square so it was a little noisy, but the double glazing did help a lot.

I thought the breakfast was basic, but my wife was happy as all she wanted was yoghurt, cereal and fruit and they were all there. There was a cheese, a couple of sliced meats, boiled eggs and breads and spreads and some other items.

The location was excellent, close to the old town and the station. You can catch tram 4 from the station to the stop just before the Rathaus.

You need to walk up one floor to reach the lobby.

The Internet in our room was dodgy. I often had to stand by the door to get a signal.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with the hotel, however if you can find another hotel for a similar rate I would consider it. If it is at a cheap rate then I would book again.

• Stayed August 2012