“Swiss kitchen as it must be”

Restaurant Zunfthaus zur Waag
Ranked #18 of 1,988 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A warm welcome to the Münsterhof (pedestrian zone) - a beautiful historic town square and the jewel of the Zurich city center. One great place to wine and dine and celebrate in the stylish atmosphere of the old city is the Zunfthaus zur Waag, directly facing the Fraumünster church with its famous Chagall windows. Discover an authentic piece of Zurich's history for yourself and take delight in our hospitality given to you in a house dating from 1315 and steeped in history.
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Great and classic Swiss restaurant.

You should order it also for a lunch, because it is usually full of locals. For the evening it is must.
We have a lunch there. The meal was great, perfectly prepared and beautifully served.
Service was excellent.

A have no choice but to agree with “weekenderpaul” and to add that it is probably a Michelin standard restaurant and therefore not cheap (but nothing in Swiss & Zurich is, that’s right!).

Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had dinner here on a Tuesday night with an old MBA classmate who was in town for a conference. We sat outdoors on a Tuesday night with a bunch of guys from his conference. It was really lovely in the heart of the old town, and I was surprised that they let us linger there all night without kicking us out. We were literally the last ones left there at almost midnight.

I had a lovely autumn salad with scallops and pata negra ham that cost CHF 42.50 for the main course portion. My dessert was some kind of yummy frozen concoction with ice cream and fresh berries.

Too bad I didn't get to check out the inside of this guild house, but it was still lovely to sit outside. And the waitress was nice and spoke English.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I ate dinner at the Zunfthaus zur Waag one night in June and thought it outstanding!

I ordered a 3-course menu that was served with a basket of four delightful little rolls and three flavored butters – delicious! My appetizer was a cream of asparagus soup that managed the perfect balance of lightness and rich flavor. My main course included a sample of three types of fish – salmon, perch, and sesame-crusted tuna – with a superb lobster sauce, served with rice and a side of cooked red bell pepper and mushrooms. SO good! And for dessert, I had custard topped with a lovely array of very fresh fruits. Everything was beautifully plated, and my servers recommended wines that were very nicely paired with my dishes.

The setting—a wonderful 14th century guildhouse with windows overlooking the Fraumunster—was superb, and the service was professional and hospitable.

If I ever return to Zurich, I hope to return to the Zunfthaus zur Waag!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We actually ate outside as the weather was warm so did not get to see what the inside of the restaurant was like but it is very well rated by swiss local residents. There is a slight asian mix to a traditional swiss menu with an excellent spicy soup with prawns as a starter as well as an advocado tartare. The veal Zurcher art is supposed to be one of the best in town which we would agree with albeit their was perhaps too many mushrooms and not enough veal. The veal shank was average at best as it was served off the none and was quite dry as was the potato. There is a good diverse well priced wine list for this part of Zurich. Overall definitely worth a visit

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Only having 6 hours in Zurich on layover, I wanted Swiss food and I wanted it done right. This restaurant did not disappoint! The food was only bested by the service which was impeccable. Will definitely come back.