“Tradition & minimalism”

City-Hotel Ochsen Zug
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Zug
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Operating a modern hotel in a 500 year (or so) old building is probably not an easy task, probably a lot of constraints on heritage protection and all that stuff and that may force owners to make some compromise, but that is something you know upfront when you make the booking. I think that under those circumstances they managed a good job with a minimalistic approach that I would rather link to Scandinavia then Switserland. I enjoyed the place, far more interesting than the classical business hotels you'd find all over the world. Rather expensive but I guess this has more to do with the country / city than the hotel itself.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Hegglin, Manager at City-Hotel Ochsen Zug, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear Jan

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay in our traditional hotel (you're right, it was built in 1543/1544) and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again soon.

Kind regards

Matthias Hegglin

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Ambiguous impressions.
First impression was
quite depressing for my standards. The entrance and reception looked like 30 years old without any maintenance. I arrived around 9pm. Quite late for Switzerland, so everywhere silence. Reception not very friendly, just polite. Asked for a quick dinner at the restaurant. The staff at restaurant took them some time to accept me to sit for one course and they asked me initially to go to the bar. The restaurant was almost empty and it would close in less than an hour. The bar was completely empty, so I asked again for the restaurant. After an internal meeting they accepted I could stay, if I agreed to pay for the linen!!! Initially I thought I should buy it (I am joking) Service and food quality was excellent at the restaurant. I just had a soup and a glass of wine.
Room size was ok. Bed perfect. Room view was side wall of another part of the hotel, a little bit of street view and a neglected building. No worries, as I was there on a business trip. Cigarette smell was coming into room, but not for long.
Room temperature was a bit low for me, although weather was very good at the time. I tried the fan button, but air was cool. I called a couple of times the reception and finally a waiter (!!!!) from restaurant came. He realized nothing could be done and he brought an electric radiator.
Breakfast was average and again staff just polite and then...
Second impression. I realized it aw a great location under daylight. Many small restaurants around, which I wish I knew previous night. A very polite and
Helpful lady at reception this time. She apologized for heating issue in room and she explained that heating adjustment is on radiator and not through fan and staff should know. Maintenance still is an issue at lobby and this 16th century (I think) building could be a jewel.
Due to location and good room standards I would suggest. Any way I don't know other options at the area and the company I visited did their best hospitality wise, so I believe it should be of the best at the area

• Stayed: January 2014
Hegglin, Inhaber at City-Hotel Ochsen Zug, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear guest

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a comment on Tripadvisor.

I am very sorry that your stay in our hotel was not exactly as expected and I would like to apologize for this. Nevertheless I would like to try to explain you the policy of our food and beverage outlets: as you mentioned correctly we have a bar/bistro as well as a restaurant. In the bar we serve drinks and for lunch and dinner more simple things in an easy-going, relaxed atmosphere. The tables in our restaurant are set with silver cutlery, candles, flowers and high quality table cloth and we do serve more exquisite and fine food. Our bar/bistro where you can get good food for very reasonable prices is open for simple meals, just a starter, a dessert or drinks 6 days a week. In our restaurant we normally don’t serve only small meals as the cost of the whole restaurant setting does not stand in any relation with the consumption of just small things. This is the reason why we charged you a linen supplement.

I hope that you can understand also our side of view regarding this matter and that we have the pleasure of welcoming you again in the near future.

Kind regards

Matthias Hegglin
Managing owner

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Whenever I think about Switzerland words like "solid", "traditional", "reliable" come to my mind. This hotel was about "traditional". Its modest and minimalist style impressed me even more than any other "ultra-modern" solutions.

Located in the center of the city the hotel is in 10 min walking distance from railway station. Bus stops are all around. Shopping street is just around the corner. And, of course, the lake is just in front.

My room on the 4th floor had a picturesque view to the square, full of old-styled houses, clock tower (a local Big Ben) and the lake. Flowers on the window pane just perfectly contributed themselves to this poetic sight.
A disadvantage of this room location was that clocks on the tower were ringing every hour. And I had to shut my window at night.

The room was spacious, maybe because it didn't have anything spare. No clumsy furniture, just everything you need and nothing more: space, bed, table, water, air.
By the way, the bed was hard to me. (Was that a traditional feature of Swiss beds?)

Kitchen was nice though the menu could have been more varied. But it's OK to get yourself a snack before working day.

So, I'd say that this is good hotel for business trips.

Room Tip: If you don't mind bells on the tower ringing every hour you can pick up a room which windows loo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed here for a night on a business trip the location is great near the old center...the interior is supposed to be "traditional" but in all honesty it's just very, very simple. The bed is hard and somewhat uncomfortable...the TV is tiny and the room feels like a box, the bathroom is tiny with a small shower...I typically write long reviews getting into details of the hotel...in this case it's simple: you know you are in Switzerland because you pay 250+ dollars for an incredibly simple and below-par accommodations...

I would stay in Zurich if you can...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Hegglin, Manager at City-Hotel Ochsen Zug, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you very much for your review.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It's true that our Superior hotel rooms dispose of a simplicity, a high quality simplicity though with only natural materials (wood and stone). Our beds (the duckboard and the mattress) are specially designed to provide a good and healthy sleep, they are so called "Hüsler-Nest Betten". We are sorry that this bed was too hard for you. We made a note in your file to provide you with a thicker and softer mattress during your next stay.

Despite these issues we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to our historic hotel and we remain with kind regards

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 3 nights for business. Lovely location by the Old Town and close to the lake. The train station is walking distance and also an easy bus connection.

Rooms were clean and comfortable. A solid if unspectacular breakfast was served, although it seems service only starts at 6.30am. Like another reviewer, I had problems with Internet connectivity, although in my case, it seemed to be network issues rather than wifi reception as often I would be receiving a strong signal yet be unable to access the Internet.

Internet issues aside, this is a charming hotel to stay at in the Zug area.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you very much for your valuable review and your time!

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Just one small comment to be correct ;-): our breakfast is starting at 6.15am and if you tell us the evening before, that you have to leave earlier than that we'll be able to arrange a packed-breakfast for you as well.

Looking forward to welcoming you to the Hotel Ochsen Zug again soon

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Good hotel for business trips and centrally located. Close to the lake area where all of the main resturants and bars are located. Typically styled attractive swiss building and decor. Very efficient service and comfortable well appointed rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel is very clean. Service is prompt. Very effectively managed. New chef and his dishes were very good and served to order. Close to the lake which had lots of outdoor dinning. Train station is about a 12 minutue walk. Lots of places to shop.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor facing the street. Room was small but comfortable. This was my first sta...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zug
Hotel Lowen am See Zug
#1 of 1 in Baar
Swisshotel Zug
Swisshotel Zug
#7 of 8 in Zug

Been to City-Hotel Ochsen Zug? Share your experiences!