“Awesome location,very nice hotel..”
Review of Hotel Splendid

and 1 more site!
Hotel Splendid
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Montreux
Kolkata
“Awesome location,very nice hotel..”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for only one night.To reach the hotel,use the public elevator,150m left of the train station when you exit or the only other way is to go down 200 stairs.The hotel was in an incredible location and we were given a room with a balcony with the full view of the Lake Geneva.The room was very clean,the bathroom was very modern and as mentioned,the views were breathtaking.I am really sorry to forget the name of the person who checked us in but he was awesome.He told us about all the places to visit in Montreux and gave some very helpful tips as to where to buy chocolates.Also,the hotel gives you free passes for bus/tram in Montreux but we already had the swiss pass,so was not required.

The breakfast was the only negative thing for me.All cold breakfast with breads,juices etc.This can easily be improved atleast with some eggs etc.

To summarise,excellent room and location and would highly recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: Lake facing,it really is awesome...
4 Thank JoyfrmKolkata

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2012

On arrival we were checked in by a very courteous and helpfull David. Nothing was too much trouble. Our room was lovely and quite large by European standards. The beds were adjustable electronically and comfortable as I suffer from chronic back pain. Our room was a Lakeview room and we were able to enjoy the beautiful uninterrupted views over the Lake. After locking my computer out of the wifi provided free by the hotel I went to the reception desk for assistance. I was helped by a man (I'm sorry I didn't get his name) who very cheerfully got my computer working. The breakfast provided was a continental one...choice of cereals, juice, yoghurt, cheese, meat and tea or coffee. Our room and hotel public areas were all very clean. We would not hesitate to recommend Hotel Splendid for its location (on the lake opposite the ferry terminal, bus at the door and 5 minute walk to the train station) and the excellent service of which its proprietor Mr Hausmann is justifiably proud.

4 Thank Aussies54
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Small portion and very limited variety for breakfast. We were shocked when realized that the breakfast is not like buffet style. Only two breads, one croissant and a bit of ham, cheese, jam, cereals are provided. My husband requested for another croissant yet we were told that each customer is only given one croissant.
The sitting area with lake view is not opened for breakfast session. For the room rate chargeable by the hotel for room with no lake view, we find that it is not value for money. The room we booked is stated as with courtyard view yet it is actually facing the back of the apartments / shophouses located at the street parallel to it.

4 Thank WSY821
Baltic Coast, Poland
Reviewed August 24, 2012

So this was a one night stay in Montreux on my way from the French Chamonix to the Swiss Geneva. The hotel was recommended to me by the friendly staff at the turist info kiosk as " a good value , conveniently located just 50 m from the mainstream boulevard and 150 m from the train station". Unfortunately only the location was true. Otherwise the hotel appeared to have old and dirty rooms (I was shown 2 to choose from), way to soft spring mattresses which would squeak the whole night, old bathrooms with water dripping from the tap all night. Above all no air-conditioning apart from a n old and loud fan! All this for 115 Euro including breakfast. ( I didn't have the chance to experience the quality of the food as I had to leave for my train at 5:30 in the morning).

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank dar0
canberra ACT
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This hotel is conveniently close to the station and views from our Lake View room were lovely. The bed was reasonably comfortable. It is not a new and luxurious hotel with some of the furniture looking rather shabby. The bathroom facilities were adequate but there were obvious hairs on the floor which I cleaned myself.

The breakfast was adequate if not outstanding but the breakfast waitress was extremely pleasant and helpful.

When paying the bill, we were asked if we wanted to add a tip. I prefer fixed price hotels or if there is a service charge, for that to be included in the bill.

Room Tip: Choose a lake view room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank susanbluecanberraACT
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 8, 2012

DISCLAIMER: OK this is going to sound like an advertisement, so I want to state right now, I don't own this hotel, I didn't get paid to write this, and we paid for our room. The owner did buy us a couple of drinks later during our stay, but that's it.

Hotel Splendid is great, it's not all chrome, glass, and sterile like a lot of new hotels. OK, it's not a five star hotel, it's a three star hotel, and it is old. In fact it's the oldest hotel in Montreux built in 1904 (I think), but for us this was a plus. It has real atmosphere. For Perth people it is like an very upmarket New Norcia Hotel. Suzanne and I loved it. It is right in the centre of the main drag along the edge of Lake Geneva and is within walking distance of most things you would want to visit in town. Our room had a large balcony with a table and four chairs overlooking the lake, a nice bath (happy wife = happy life), a large flat screen TV, and those brilliant electric beds that raise at the head and the foot. These beds are just what you need after a long day motorcycle riding. Elevating your legs feels so good. Ahhhh, we slept so well. We were so comfortable we stayed in bed til about midday, and I never do that. We loved this hotel and booked an extra night's stay we enjoyed it so much. It was just too good not to.

But the best thing about Hotel Splendid was our host, Yvan. He is an encyclopaedia of information about Montreux. In the afternoon we were having a drink in the bar downstairs and Yvan came over and sat down to talk with us. Yvan knew I was a Deep Purple fan and music lover, and that was part of the reason for our visit to Montreux. He proceeded to fill me in on all the music history of the place, including some great info I never would have found out by myself. Thanks Yvan, you made our visit very special.

Great hotel. Great host. We'll be back.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms would be good as they all face Lake Geneva.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Simon M
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Splendid for 3 nights during the first week of July, with Montreux being our first stop during a 3 week vacation. After an extremely long travel day, we arrived at the Montreux station in the rain. Based on the Hotel website map and TA poster Jason S (May 8) giving info regarding the public elevator (to avoid the many stairs) we were able to easily make the 5 minute walk to the Hotel. Ivan, one of the owners, greeted us by name as we arrived late afternoon, and immediately made us feel welcome. Service is one of this hotel's strong points, as is the location. As other posters have commented, the location is spectacular. We had requested a lake view with balcony and we were not disappointed, even with the rain. Within moments of settling into our room (Room 48), Ivan sent up 2 glasses of wine and the delightful paprika chips. Because the balcony has an awning that you can roll out above, we were able to use it, in spite of the rain. This soon became one of our most favorite features of the room, and when we weren't out and about, we could be found people watching from the balcony.

It is correct that there is no air conditioning; however, there was a fan in our room and it was more than adequate. Our balcony doors could be opened fully, or you could have them secured and open inward from the top for airflow. There is some street noise if the doors/windows are open, but if closed it is absolutely sound proof. Our beds, 2 twins pushed together, were quite comfortable. We had more than enough space for our clothes and luggage, and the bathroom was adequate for two. The shower head is interesting with the LED lights, but our biggest and only complaint, which we did not address with the Hotel, was that there is only one small mirror in the bathroom; it would have been nice to have an extra one in the room to make it easier to get ready to go out.

Breakfast was in the sunny front room and again the service was great; extremely pleasant and helpful. Three different rolls, cheese and meat in the refrigerator, yogurt, cereal, fruit, and
coffee, tea, etc.

The location was ideal for the jazz festival, and for anything else. The bus stop is in front of the Hotel, or across the street for the opposite direction, and the train station is 5 minutes away. Ivan and David were extremely helpful, providing dinner suggestions, and even printing out a copy of the American flag to wish us a Happy 4th of July, which was placed in our room. Yes, some things at the Hotel may feel dated; however, Ivan is willing to share the history of the Hotel if asked. A great little hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple