“Quirks”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Montreux
Coral Gables, Florida
“Quirks”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Not a great time to judge efficiency with Montreux Jazz going on, but Swiss efficiency, even French Swiss efficiency, works even at 100% capacity and reception was friendly enough. Central location, opposite the train station can't be beaten, but is noisy. Had marathon start under my window Sunday morning, with all the noise one can imagine, but even without that the area is loud. Single rooms are really too small & awkwardly put together. Bathroom tiny. Bed tiny. TV on the side wall, so difficult to watch. The slightly larger double room away from the station side I was moved to was better. Decent bed, no sheets, but cover. Not great. Better bathroom. Internet soso. Superb view from terrace, nice enough breakfast and decent lunch/bar area. Front door locks at night and getting someone to open takes time. Not really expected for a hotel of this level.

Room Tip: Lake front is much better than train station side.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Switzerland
Reviewed July 8, 2014

A dignified hotel just opposite of Montreux railway station in the center of the city. Rooms are very nice but could be noisy as the hotel lies in between two main roads of the city (even though windows are airtight), especially in July during the Montreux Jazz Festival.
The lake and concert venues are just a few steps away from the hotel.
Rooms are nice with brand new bathrooms, cable TV, minibar and Wifi (you need a dedicated login for each device).
The hotel possesses a stunning terrace with one of the most beautiful views in Switzerland (given you like mountains and lakes), one can overview the lake almost down to Geneva and see the french Alps.
Breakfast buffet is good and comes at an extra CHF 26.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My wife and I went for a week-end during teh Montreux Festival and stayed in the Hotel.
1st thing important, if you travel by train, teh hotel is right across the train station, you can walk, it is just 50 meters away from teh station. since we took teh train from Geneva, it was a really good surprise.
Getting into the hotel from the back, you arrive on the 3rd floor, and reception is a bit tiny, but we were lucky, there was no queue. Staff was pleasant, room was clean, a bit small especially the bathroom, with a little bath tub and no separate shower.. We were on the 6th floor with a lake view and this was fantastic.
Otherwise we had lunch and it was very good, while breakfast is just Ok for an hotel of that reputation. As an example, you cannot get the eggs the way you want them, so as long as you want want standard, there is, but any specific...forget about it..but again, if it is sunny, you cqn have breakfast on the terrace overlooking the lake.
Anyway, from the hotel, you can walk to the auditorium, or walk by the lmake, the location is just great, in the middle of Montreux..

Room Tip: lake view!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed at the Grand Swiss four times over the last three years. As the other reviewers have noted the location is directly across from the train station which can be both good and bad. If you can afford a lake view room, or can get it then highly recommended as not only do you hear train noise there can be quite a bit of street noise well into the early morning on weekends.

The exercise room, that was recently modeled (finally), is OK but for the level of the hotel it could be better. Another downside is if you are an early morning person it does not open until 9 AM. However, then is nothing better than a run along the lake followed by a swim.

On to a few great points. Man the view from the restaurant is incredible. Breakfast is fantastic and the service across the board is top notch. With the train station so close very easy to use the hotel as a base to travel to other Swiss areas such as the Matterhorn.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Blace, France
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Some reviews are harder to write than others. I look at most travel in two ways firstly as the regular traveller who knows what he wants and secondly as a disabled traveller. I only ever take the disabled stance in a review when I have warned the hotel restaurant of my needs!

I had booked the Grand Hôtel Suisse-Majestic after research, they had assured me that “…we have many guests that stayed with us on wheelchairs…” so we booked.

Well you arrive – you can’t park or even pull-up outside the hotel. We have to park in the station carpark on the other side of the street. The street has no dropped curbs (I know not the fault of the hotel but still a barrier!) so wheelchairs, luggage etc. are not so easily moved. We get into the entrance and it was as described so a tick and we get to check-in (via a service style lift – not a problem).

To the room – regular room, bathroom with a walk-in shower. The bathroom has a small step to get into it. The shower enclosure hardly stops any water getting all over the stone floor – the result, a disabled person on a polished wet stone floor – it was like being on ice, dangerous and very uncomfortable. A small aside the fridge didn’t work…

Off to the bar – opps it has a step. So you have to enter via the restaurant – which is fine except for the fact the bar staff don’t see you and you hang around waiting to be seated/served. Then the seating – this is madness for the able bodied or otherwise. I guess they have chairs for 100 plus. BUT arranged by a madman, they are set up for groups of 4 or 5 when the guests are mainly couples. So 20 to 25 table chair groupings, with the 100 chairs but only 40 could sit – just didn’t get it! After a long wait we got drinks we got seats (we took a 5 seater spot, I was in a wheelchair my wife used a seat so 4 people were denied seats)

Next – the restaurant – great space, attentive staff great looking menu. We ordered, my starter was fantastic, langoustine tails, spot on I could have eaten plate after plate… the main course we were told all the meat (pigeon for me veal for my wife) came rosé so I’m thinking medium-rare, no a definite medium, my potatoes were a great honey roast colour on the outside, just raw on the inside (maybe they got the cooking of the pigeon and potatoes muddled up!).

Then the Toilet – I ask where’s the toilet – “on the 9th floor sir” we’re on the third. Great, balder needed a visit so up we go – I find myself in a fitness centre and a toilet. I return, my wife is almost phoning me to see if I’d changed hotel!

Afterwards we decided to go for a walk along the lake – but guess what no way to get to the lake for wheel chair users short of either doing a mini marathon or getting a taxi… the hotel seemed to have no way of getting to the road beside the lake. We were told to use a lift at the rear of the hotel, a public lift but this shuts between 9.00 and 10.00pm - thank goodness we didn't go for a meal out of the hotel and expect to use the lift on the way back!

So upsetting for the wheel chair user – I guess for the able-bodied a great spot, just after an email chain of 10 mails checking all was ok to find that the accessibility was suitable for a wheelchair user I would have hoped a Swiss 4 star plus hotel would have had either the facilities or the ability to admit its failings!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Simon--Newton
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I choose to stay in Montreux one night from Geneva given local folks recommendation. And i booked non refundable room from hotel directly (which is even a bit cheaper than the price quoted at booking.com with ge 10% discount.). I decided pay a little extra (CHF40) to choose lakeview room with balcony which turns out to prove a must.

The location of this hotel is super good, just opposite train station and the escalator takes you to the beachfront/boat station.

It looks quite grand on the beachside entrance though a bit low profile on the backdoor.

Service is good. the hotel staff speaks very good English and provides all the support you might need. super effiicient for checkin/out.

Room is a bit small but newly freshly. the bathroom got all l'occitane products. The balcony of the room accomodate a small table and 2 chairs which ensure you to enjoy stunning sunset of the geneva lake. the view is outstanding.

I would highly recommend this one if you stay in Montreux. given the room itself with nothing special, i would highly urge to to pay just a bit extra to get lakeview room

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank singdong
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We were informed that the hotel is very near the railway station, but not directly opposite!

As we lugged our bags out of the station, the simple entrance to the hotel and the fact it was directly opposite a railway station... we had mixed expectations and braced for the worse ...

The personnel at the check- in was very pleasant and welcoming.

The room was smaller than expected, but was impressed with the natural herbal toiletries.

No kettle, coffee or tea was provided, but was promptly sent over when requested.

Breakfast was good, made better when having it overlooking the lake and the Alps .... awesome. We chose to have tea there too. Would have been spectacular to have tea or just snack in the terrace in summer. A pity the terrace/ balcony was closed during our stay.

It was only 5 mins to the promenade; had a refreshing morning and late afternoon walks along the lake. The promenade was lined with beautiful early spring blooms and magnolias, ducks were bobbing on the waves catching fish ... simply beautiful. On the way back to the hotel after our walk, we detoured to check out the shops nearby and bought souvenirs for home.

Grand Suisse is choice to stay in Montreux as it is access to many cities and Swiss resorts. It was ideal for us as we were heading to the Glacier 3000. Highly reccomended!

• Stayed March 2014