“Beautiful Old World Charm” 5 of 5 bubbles

Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Montreux
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beautiful Old World Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

This property was beautiful and offered old-world Swiss charm in a FABULOUS location. The rooms weren't huge, but the accomodations were great, and the bedding was to die for. Outside of the rooms, the property is really beautiful with grand ballrooms and amazing views out of the rooms facing the lake.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed over the Valentine's Day weekend based on a friend's recommendation for the hotel's views, standard and service.

When we arrived by car, the Valet unloaded our bags and told my husband that he could go park the car. It was only later when I was trying to check in but couldnt, as it was booked under my husband's name and they needed his credit card, that front desk told me that we could have left our car with the Valet right away and he could have parked it. That REALLY annoyed me as the Valet did NOT offer to park the car for us, AT ALL. It would have saved my husband the trouble of looking for the car park, and me waiting for him to check in after a long drive!!

Other than that, I was truly impressed by the level of initiative and extra steps some of the other staff go through to make sure that the service is top notch. After being shown to our room, which I ooed and aahed over the lake view and tasteful decor (thank you Fairmont for giving us such a lovely room by the way), we wanted a bite to eat before dinner and as it was after lunch hours - we didnt want something too heavy before dinner. We simply ordered a club sandwich to share and the staff made sure that it was separated rather than us picking off one plate. I thought that it was a really proactive and wonderful touch of service.

Food wise, we also had room service in our room that night. Quality was decent but they forgot our bread. I had to wait for bread to be re-sent whilst my food was getting cold. Another irritating hiccup.

Overall the staff truly take pride in what they do. Service was generally overall friendly yet professional. A big thank you to Miss Pignet (I really hope I got your name right as I tried to take a peek at your name tag!!) for being so efficient, polite and lovely during breakfast - which was in a beautiful, bright and sunny room overlooking the lake!

ROOM:
We booked the deluxe king lake facing room. Dont look at any other room categories below this one. This is it - I will definitely try the suites in future but I was so happy with our room. Large, spacious and so tastefully decorated with cool calm colours with gorgeous views over the lake. Our room came with two balconies too.

The room also came with an nespresso machine which, as an nespresso addict, I usually dread travelling and find crappy Nescafe instant coffee in rooms. Couldnt have asked for a better start in the morning sipping my coffee at dawn whilst waiting for a glimpse of the sunrise.

Hotel also allows dogs in the rooms (though not at the breakfast area - I had to resend my dog back to the room) for 30CHF a night.

All in all, thank you so much Fairmont for making our weekend so enjoyable. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Lake facing room for sure!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank technicolour_dreams
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

From the moment we entered the hotel, we were treated like royalty. The "receptionist" also showed us to our room (hurriedly changed as we were early, but it was not a problem for them), and greeted us by name from then on. The room was faultless and the view was, well, how can being on the edge of the lake of Geneva at sunset and sunrise be anything less than perfect. The only letdown of the weekend was the lack of atmosphere and service for the Sunday brunch. Even so, I still give an overall rating of excellent, which is rare for me as anyone who reads my reviews will know.There is always room for improvement. In this case only the breakfast, i.e. the Sunday brunch. The food was plenty and good, but the restaurant was completely lacking in atmosphere and our waitress had clearly mastered the art of looking busy while avoiding the customer. A shame that this let down the rest of the stay. The welcome and facilities in the spa are the best we have ever experienced - friendly, relaxing and a wonderful complement to our stay.

Room Tip: A lake view room is a must.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

On this visit both check-in and check-out were processed fast and efficiently, compared to the often slow handling I'd encountered before.

The receptionist accompanied me to my room and offered to make a dinner reservation for me somewhere, and generally staff were even more solicitous than usual - perhaps this was just a quiet time, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I got one of the recently renovated rooms on the 3rd floor, spacious and bright with three windows, a large desk, a relaxing space with armchairs, and the biggest marble bathroom I've yet seen in this hotel.

Room service was great - they changed my order without a fuss when I realized they hadn't asked me how I wanted the burger cooked and they said it only came well done - I got a delicious blue fillet steak still within the allotted 20 minutes.

So yes it's expensive but I'll go again, both for the amenities and the location.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

great staff, friendly service, big recently renovated rooms ( with thick doors really blocking out the noise from the hall, which is something you get less and less ! ) with good size bathrooms. Good food, great location. I am quick to mention when things go wrong, here it is hard to find fault if only maybe the prices, but that depends on everyone !

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gisele S, Responsable relations publiques at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for having taken the time to write such a nice comment concerning your recent stay at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace.

We are striving for excellence in all areas of the hotel and are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

With view of Lake Geneva, this is a hands down gorgeous hotel. We were content just laying in bed and staring out past our balcony windows into the view of the lake and mountains beyond!

Not sure if the renovations are done yet, but make sure you ask for the refurbished rooms (we were there with a wedding party and one of my friends who was in an older room said that it was extremely dated and felt damp).

The hotel has a lake-view lawn where you can sunbathe and relax. The Petit Palais restaurant is a bit of an inconvenience to get to (you have to go outdoors and cross the street), but again, it has an unbeatable view!

In a world where many hotels are charging extra for wifi, Fairmont Le Montreux gets brownie points with me for offering wifi for free!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank aiyataibao
Thank you very much for your kind words describing your recent stay with us. Your comment has been passed on to all staff concerned.

Unfortunately you have not been informed that you can access our Willow Stream Spa directly through the tunnel and I have informed our Front Office Manager immediately to make sure that all guests receive the information.

And, also for your information, our rooms renovation will go on this year !

We are looking forward to welcoming you again at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace.
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Definitely on our top 3 best places we have visited.. a beautiful place, very royal, confortable, beautiful view, amazing rooms, great SPA and the restaurant was impressive! We had a special offer than so we got a great deal but this place is worth any penny spent on even with full price..

Room Tip: Lake view rooms and upper floors for a better view over the lake
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple