“Five Star Comfort”

Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Montreux
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 18, 2013

All that you would expect in a five star hotel. Great service and awesome location. Get a room facing the lake. My only very minor complaint was that the concierge was not always as personable as I would have liked.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lake. Try to get a balcony if possible.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was our second on stay. We were there for 5 nights, and everything was almost perfect: great room, good brunch, very good service and facilities. Unfortunately our stay was spoiled by our spa experience. Funnily enough, it was meant to be the most relaxing part of our stay.

We had a massage on the arrival day. The staff offered me and my partner to share the same room.
- First we were ask to change in the treatment room but everyone in the park outside was just able to see us.
- Second the two therapists seemed very inexperienced. But worse was that on several occasions they were giggling (at us?).
- Third my therapists was ill. She was constantly sniffing which is not pleasant during a time meant for relaxation. But worse when giving me a head massage she literally sneezed on my face. No wonder 2 days later I was bed ridden with flue…

On the 3rd day, my partner had a treatment. It was meant to be a seaweed bath. However the therapist made a mistake and gave a flower bath. Not once did she come during the treatment to check if everything was fine.

As it was our second bad experience, we decided to have a word with the manager and to explain how I felt ill. The spa had hired temporary staff during this busy holiday season. The manager felt very sorry but only offered my partner to come back for a free treatment. Needless to say that after two such experiences the mood was not for a new treatment. In such a situation we would have expected a discount on the spoiled treatment we had. We were disappointed by the way the management responded to the situation.

It is not the kind of experience expected in a 5 star hotel when paying a steep price for massages/treatment. If the hotel wants to hire temporary staff it is fine but they must ensure the level of service remains high.

Room Tip: A lake facing room. They have wonderful views of the lake and mountains.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovetravel004
Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Honestly, this hotel is over rated. the location is good for whoever interrested in shopping. however for whoever looking for a better lake view there are other hotels just on the lake.
2nd thing i will talk about my experience with this hotel. i booked a lake facing room and after i came they gave me a room you can see only 20% viewing the lake and the rest all u see are buildings. i refused to have this room finally they gave me another room at 4pm ( supposed to get the room at 3pm) i had kids were suffering for the long wait. the other unexpected thing i got shocked on was the room A/C is not working. this is my 2nd day and im spending it without A/C. the problem is the street is so noisy outside too much ppl talking n cars r hooting. but i have to open the balkony to get some cold air. im really dissapointed for the money value i spent on such over rated hotel. not recommended to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had a brilliant weekend in this fabulous hotel right on the lake. We chose the hotel and location as we were celebrating a special time with family. The best rooms to book are lake side to enjoy the view of the lake and snow capped mountains, autumn morning sunrise or be close to the shops, transport and best of what the location.

The highlight was a lazy saturday afternoon tea served to the room (on the balcony) with all the bells and whistles, then to enjoy a drawn bath before preparing for dinner.

The location is easily accessible by train from Geneva airport (thereabouts 1hour and 15 minutes to Montreux station) then a short walk down the hill and to the right or by car and taxi. The service is great in Australian, French, English or other major European languages and is attentive and available as required. The hotel offers refreshments / meals in a manner of choices with us enjoying the bar in easy format and street side restaurant for drinks and lazy late weekend breakfast. Extensive food selection and choices were available with the restaurant able to cater for requests or allergies requirements. The concierge also was able to recommend some quality local restaurants and arrange bookings and easy to follow directions. We dinned in a Swiss style open long tables on local cuisine and an Italian seafood restaurant all within easy reach of the hotel.

The bedrooms were well appointed with dreamy beds, numerous pillows ( and more on a quick housekeeping request), desk, wifi, tv with international programs and maps and planning material to explore the local area. The access to the lakeside walks is just across the road so it is easy to get in a little exercise to walk off any excesses, go for a serious run or just enjoy the perfect view.

Wonderful memories and family enjoyment were created from this old world establishment with yesteryear strong service standards with modern facilities. Well worth the value if you are looking for a location to linger and enjoy the time out.

Room Tip: Lake side with a balcony is perfect.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JenniferJennJenn
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We can't say enough about the stunning location, beautiful rooms and excellent service we had while in Montreux. We fell in love with the charming town and will definitely be back. Highly recommend getting a room with a glassed in terrace-- perfect for a leisurely meal while gazing at the mountains and the lake. We only wish we had more time in this magical place.

Room Tip: Get a water view, you simply must in this location.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I spent 3 full day in this hotel for a business conference and I firmly reccomend it if you are selecting an hotel for this reason. I was there in April very low season but the service, the rooms and the food were all very impressive. I participate meny of such events but in this case I faud the hotel premises, the conference center, the meeting rooms, the spa etc etc all of very high standard.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have just recently returned from a lovely three night stay at the Fairmont Montreux Palace Hotel. Everything was so professional and efficient from the moment we arrived and the Concierge welcomed us and took our luggage to the efficient check-in that literally took only several minutes. We booked a Standard Room with city view which was quite spacious with a large bathroom that included a bath tub and walk-in shower. The variety at breakfast was excellent as was the service. We were there to attend a friend's wedding which took place at the Petit Palais Terrace; again food was good, service I must admit could have been more attentive (they just placed the bottles of water on the tables and did not actually serve the water to guests - not really five star standard).

The main reason why I am writing this review is what happened on the last day of our stay. We decided to take coffee and pastries out on the Terrace overlooking the lake on the Sunday afternoon. We arrived and sat down. The waitress approached us and took our order. We noticed that the furniture was in a bad state of repair (certainly not five star standard) and the floor was very dirty. The coffee table had a dirty ash-tray on it and there was ash all over the table top. We ordered and waited for our order to arrive. I anticipated that the waitress would return and clean the table that was dirty but she did not! The order arrived and to our astonishment, my tea order arrived and it was a cup and saucer with some hot water and a tea bag already in the cup! I couldnt believe it! I asked if they had a tea pot and the waitress answered that they did not. So no tea pot and no small plate to discard the tea bag after i used it. After I complained a small plate was brought to me for the used tea bag. I could have been sitting at a cafe and not at a 5Star Hotel (and even then at cafes one serves tea in a tea pot!!!)And it didnt stop here. My husband was served his pastry again on the dirty table and worse still, the cutlery was placed on the dirty table. At that point my husband snapped at the waitress and told her that this was not acceptable. She immediately left brought something to clean the table and a place mat on which to put the desert and cutlery - why did he need to tell her????. The dessert was very nice but it should be at CHF14 (approx. EUR10.00) however the entire experience was not! When you book to stay at such a Hotel you are aware that everything will be expensive and you really dont mind paying as long as the standards are maintained and you receive what you pay for!! I looked around to complain to someone in authority and there was no one in sight (probably why it happened). If I were a HACCAP or ISO inspector I would certainly have deducted points for the lack of cleanliness and hygiene! It is a great shame that this had to happen as it altered my entire perception of the Hotel and its standards. This incident has probably not deterred me from staying here at sometime in the future, however, Management should really look into this and ensure that it does not happen again! Maybe it is a type of arrogance or complacency as the Hotel is considered to be the best in Montreux but if they dont get their act together, they will certainly lose their good reputation.

Room Tip: If you can pay that extra then a lake view room is wonderful. Quiet rooms are at the back of the Hot...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cancer777
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreux
Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic
#1 of 46 in Lausanne
Hotel Victoria
Hotel Victoria
#4 of 17 in Montreux

Been to Fairmont Le Montreux Palace? Share your experiences!