“Amazing fondue”

Cuisines: Swiss, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Fondue Bacchus is amazing, great quality meat, very soft and good flavor.
Tables are too small, no space to keep the side dishes, not even the sauces of the Fondue.
Service is good and staff is friendly, overall it was a great experience and I will certainly go back.

Reviewed February 1, 2014

We were looking to a place to eat the local "fondue" and found indications about "Chez Gloria". We ordered a cheese fondue for 2. It was really good! I would better have ordered a fondue for 1 and also a meat fondue. The place was nice and the price was OK.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

we got a reservation through the palace for the 5 of us. my children really wanted to experience fondue here as they enjoy it in the states. the restaurant is several blocks up a steep hill (in the winter-caution) and off the main strip where restaurants are. at any rate, we go on and have to wait about 15-20 minutes to get a seat, at around 9 p.m... because we are not big drinkers of wine, etc. the staff seemed very put off by the fact that we were not drinking and just requested water. they waited and waited. no soda? we all just looked at eachother. no. water only please. after that, no one seemed to want to explain the menu to us, which is not in english (i'll get so and so to help you-they didn't seem to speak english well either and this was the first and only place we experienced a language issue on the entire trip). we waited forever to get anyone to help. we finally just got the cheese fondue for our crew and then i was so uncomfortable, i took my one child out and waited outside for another 10-15 minutes for my husband to pay the bill and leave. on a side note: the amount recommended per person was obscene. we got the cheese for 5 and we had a lot of extra cheese that was wasted. we were also full at the end of all that bread. it was good. (also, it did not seem super clean to me. it was pretty dim and small inside).

1  Thank bobbob2
Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Was in Montreux on business. Asked at the hotel for a fondue restaurant. This restaurant was located up a steep hill...which was good since the amount of calories you will ingest is over the top.. went 2 nights in a row with 2 different groups of people. The restaurant is extremely accomodating. 1st visit 8 people various types of cheese fondue including one with truffles. Starter was excellent as was the merengue. Excellent wine and they accomodated switching up starters and desserts from what was on the menu....wonderful, but dinner took almost 4 hours. The next night we went back as we had a member of our group that required gluten free eating and a call to them asurred us they could do it. In about 2 hours we enjoyed an entirely gluten free dinner...again very accomdating and took half the time to eat. Would definitely goback againthe next time I'm in Montreux.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Staying in a decent hotel in Montreux for the Christmas Markets, I asked the reception to recommend somewhere nearby that would serve steaks and burgers etc. As we walked up the steep cobbled street we had high expectations and the building looked charming from the outside but as soon as we walked through the door I knew we had made a mistake. We were faced with the backs of 6 or 7 "regulars" at the bar. The place looked unclean. However, we were tired and hungry so decided to put on a positive attitude. After a pause we were taken to the "Cave" where the restaurant is situated. The consensus was "Oh this place could do with a good clean". The glasses were smeary - which is always a bad sign.

To be fair to them, the waiting staff were lovely, friendly and very natural. We just ordered a main course but it was a nice surprise to be offered a salad whilst we were waiting. Unfortunately this was not pleasant - rather than a simple salad with some crisp lettuce and tomato etc we were presented with a soggy pre-prepared slop made of (possibly) tinned sweetcorn, coleslaw, shredded carrot, fresh cucumber and one tomato.

We were not asked how we would like our meat cooked. However, I was pleased mine was beautifully rare but unfortunately tough. The chips were reminiscent of British chip shop chips which may or may not count in the restaurant's favour.

We couldn't wait to leave but as is the habit in a number of places we have visited in Switzerland, it can be impossible to get the waiter's attention to get the bill and we resort to putting out coats on and walking toward the door to focus the attention of the staff.

I see others have posted great reviews here so perhaps you should try for yourself - but in my group we all felt the place was in need of a good clean. I would be interested to hear others' views if you go despite reading my review.

On top of everything it ended up being the most expensive meal I have had in Switzerland.

1  Thank Gingetraveller