“Good Value in Montreux... Worth Coming back”
Review of La Locanda

La Locanda
Ranked #41 of 125 Restaurants in Montreux
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I regularly come back to the Locanda..as I have been happy with the food and service every single time... I especially go for the risottos with gambas or the plat du jour. The Locanda is a family owned restaurant, and the service is always very friendly. I had one friend come with a group of students, and they loved it.

2  Thank Chabeli_ch

Reviewed September 7, 2011

After living in Montreux and visitingthis place many times during our 5 year stay, we took the opportunity to return whilst attending a firends wedding earlier this year. Nothing has changed, this restaurant was fantastic then and is still fantastic. Great food, great wine, great service. We all have our favourite dishes at this restaurant, and these are complemented by seasonal fare which is equally as good.

I have to wonder at some of the low ratings on here, one in particular sounds as though it is describing a completely different restaurant (in terms of layout etc). This restaurant is at the top end of montreux, down a little side road. They are not open all day, but are well worth waiting for.

My persoanl favourite dishes are : starter - Gambas Salad, fantastic dressing and huge portion. Main Course: Lamb cutlets, with dauphinoir potatoes, ratatouille and baked garlic. Dessert: Creme Brulle (the best i have tried ANYWHERE...

Only wish i still lived in Switzerland, as i would be here every week...

4  Thank Chelsea1978
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Had a lovely meal in this welcoming restaurant just off the main road running through the center. Salad fresh, homemade pasta delicious and waiters friendly. For now their terrace gives on to some construction works but problem should soon be solved.

3  Thank DrDuckie
Reviewed May 22, 2011

So good I've eaten here 3 days in a row:
1st visit was for a small snack on the evening of arrival. I was with my partner and we both had a salad with Seranno ham and both were excellent. A great choice of salad leaves and the ham was plentiful.
2nd visit I was alone and had the mixed grilled meat selection. I asked for the poato to be left out and it was replaced with a fantastic home made rattatouille, along with a huge salad and onion marmalade. The cuts of meat were amazing and cooked to perfection. Possibly one of the best meals I have ever had!
3rd visit I was alone again and had a pizza Nicoise which was with tuna, onion, oregano and mozzarella. This had further herbs that weren't advertised along with a touch of lemon zest which made it a stunning and very tasty pizza indeed. I followed this with the chocolate fondant whcih was served with cream and ice creram and was a delightful end to another wonderful meal.
The owner/server was amazingly friendly and helpful at all times as was every other member of staff I encountered. He spoke English and allowed me to happily attempt my limited French with encouragement. My partner was unable to dine with me for 2 days and I went out to eat alone with some trepidation but I needent have worried. I was again made to feel welcome and was given the confidence that will help me to eat out alone in the future.
I can't recommend this place highly enough and it is the main reason I will be returning to Montreux soon!

4  Thank Sheangel
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Hi everybody, since we have been in Montreux this weekend we checked out tripadvisor and ran across the above rating of this restaurant. From what one could expect out of these previous postings it seemed to be a pretty cool spot with fantastic food and atmosphere.

However: here comes reality ;-D.
I dont want too bother with details so - food was the worst italian food I ever paid money for, the waiter went off when we had our main course - followed by the kitchen guys 5 minutes later. The itlian family running the spot might have been hiding. All we could see (waiters, kitchen people where as far from italian as Mr Bean) were non Italiens.

The Carpaccio was drowning in cheap pamigiano crumbs (the ones you find in plastic bags in your local supermarket), the "home made" - still can't stop laughing calling this cheap crap "homemade" - pasta (spaghetti/fetuccini) was totally over salted, cooked to a extent that it wasa as soft as porridge and tasted .....

As "grande finale" we took the hot choclate cake. As fresh and home made as a Mc Donald Burger. Again, a tremendous desaster!

So - to make it short - we are definitely neither posh nor picky. We have been travelling a lot, have been seen eating everything from Asian street kitchen food to nice 5* restaurant dinners and are used to different styles and tastes of food. BUT - this is definitly a MUST AVOID restaurant.

5  Thank travelers_BM